Righteous Sound Raf 1 ( A2 mag) Pickups vs OX4 Lo-wind A4 for a SG CS Maestro vibrola

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Olivierp33, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Olivierp33

Olivierp33 New Member

Hello folks,
    the pickups in my 2013 LP/SG reissue maestro vibrola are a pair of custombuckers but i want to swap them for something else with much more clarity on the wound strings, especially the neck PU which is definately too meaty . I hesitate between two pairs which got particulary my attention. The first is a pair of Righteous Sound RAF 1. I do like what i have heard from some YT videos. Lot of clarity and this A2 mojo that i have always loved. But a friend of mine insisted to also consider a pair of OX4 Lo-wind A4 pickups. They have a very good reputation but from mostly LP users. SG is another beast and i really don't know how they will behave in it compared to the RAF . That's why i need your advices, especially from users who tested both of them in a SG.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. Olivierp33

Olivierp33 New Member

Sorry, i posted this thread in the wrong place. I can't delete it but i post it again in the right place.

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

4. MR D

MR D Active Member

No worries! the stock Custom-Buckers should get you a hefty return if you sell them. Should Pay for the new ones and a few rounds/bumps at the pub to boot, I'd say. Last CB's I saw on reverb went for $800/set. Ridic, I thought, but ???.....Stock GIBSON pickups have never failed me, I just had to learn to set 'em up for what I want at the moment.
    I'm thinkin A5 & A2/A3 Magnet Pickups might well do ya ! Mini-Hummers ? Routing problems though. Ceramic Magnets (Dirty Fingers+/-) also, I've noticed, seem to cover all the bases when EQ'd right.
    I have zero experience with A4 Magnet Pickup's and IDK if GIBSON even makes one.
    Maybe post what you decide on? and how it worked out, eh ? I'd like to hear it, especially the A4 part.
    I agree about the Custom-Buckers, for all the raves I hear about them, IDK....not my Bottle and I prefer Burst-Bucker Pro's(A5) TTYT !

5. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

papagayo and ChrisM84 like this.
  6. pulse.

pulse. New Member

I changed my custombuckers for a pair of SD Antiquities, then for a pair of Monty's, then for a pair of Ox4 Low wind, again to Monty's
    and then a sat of premium clones Wizz. The later pair will leave the guitar when I'm dead from the next owner.
    The Wizz I ordered have A3 low wind on neck and A4 on the bridge. The Ox4 were anemic for my taste and had a boominess on the neck
    that I couldn't get rid of. Monty's PAFs were really good for me for a couple of years.