Ring Rust

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Jun 8, 2021 at 3:42 PM.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have been out of action gig wise for so long, I can't recall the last one before pandemic retirement. My bassist friend is coming out from Idaho in August and I need to get back in fighting trim. It also occurred to me that my guitars may not be in proper trim, either. For anyone who has had their axe in the case for more than 3 months, give 'em a little love. First dust 'em off with a soft brush. Give the strings, fretboard and neck a shot of FingerEase, follow the directions.(no it won't hurt nitro, poly or oil finishes.)Change crusty or dented strings, the whole set as needed. If an electric with accessible pots and switches, give 'em a shot of compressed air.(Don't shake the can) Tune up and check out you setup by playing from open to the last fret to check for buzzes and too high action. Check intonation, then plug in and boogie, chillen!

deMelo and Go Nigel Go like this.
  2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Good advice. I have been pulling stuff out of storage for about 5 years, and about 10 years since my last gigging band. Little problems do occur from lack of use. Most of my issues are strings and dirty pots. A little love periodically goes along way.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, I've read that regarding cleaning pots, WD40 isn't the best choice and contact cleaner is all right. If there isn't canned compressed air available.

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

For really dirty pots, contact cleaner is best. WD-40 might work in a pinch but tends to draw moisture and hold dirt (even though it displaces both at first). Better to just stick with contact cleaner, as it works better for cleaning and you will need it anyway eventually if you use WD-40. Compressed air works good for dusty pots with no downsides. A can of CRC in my music room will last 5 years or more, so I just keep at least one can in the music room.

5. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I agree. Contact cleaner did wonders on the scratchy pots of my SG. Well worth it.
    Anyway...great advice Biddlin!
    Good for me that I don't gig (so no pandemic retirement) and I don't have so many guitars that they have a chance to get rusty and dusty. I am actually considering to go from 2 to just 1 guitars now. Problem solved. :D

6. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

*NEVER USE WD-40 ON POTENTIOMETERS !

WD-40 dissolves the resistive material .

*Unless you want to play a really bad joke on someone . . .

rotorhead likes this.