Ripe for Restoration?...or Righteous Relic ?!!

everdying

Reaction score
ppl would pay hundreds to thousands over a regular model just to have a relic'd model.
and you want to refinish it? :D

SouthPoll

Reaction score
ppl would pay hundreds to thousands over a regular model just to have a relic'd model.
and you want to refinish it? :D

Wasn't sure, which is why I posed the question in the first place :)

Interesting the different cultures between guitars and, say....classic cars. People spare no expense returning them to original condition. Imagine "...you CAN'T repaint that!...it's a relic '57 Chev!!".

....point taken though, from all who commented here - mojo machine it is! :jam:

bwotw

Reaction score
Man, that's one SWEET guitar there. And I'm not even a big fan of the 70's SG, but this one works somehow. I like it better with the regular stoptail. A refinish would be nothing short of a sacrilege here :) Congratulations on an stunning guitar!

How's the weight, action, etc...? These ones used to have a straight neck, with no angle (like a Fender), right?

SouthPoll

Reaction score
Thanks, I like it too.

The Standard and Special replaced the Deluxe and Pro in late '72 (so I read), at which time they returned to very '60-ish specs (Customs too) with neck angle re-introduced as well as the 17degree head pitch. Also strengthened neck with reverse grain laminate through centre. And a volute. Mine has all the above.

Weight-wise....well, I'm an LP collector,so......it's a feather weight!.....Actually, really good and a nice change. Lovin' the bevels and styling. HUGE headstock to get used to and yes, it's a neck-diver (even with the Bigsby on). Grovers are new unfortunately but work well. Action is nice and low, neck is 40mm at the nut - slimmest non-fender neck i've ever felt! Would be super-fast too but for the high shine lacquer which grabs a bit - perhaps scotchbrite to slicken the surface?

The neck binding is awesome and even has the (diminished) remains of the nubs on most frets.

There are a million little investigations I'd like to do in order to get a better picture of it's history and what it has endured to become what it is...like, the barely perceptible image from adhesive stickers on front - a large "60" (or "GO" perhaps). But at the same time, it's not necessary to do anything in order to enjoy it the way it is. It's hardly unique, but it's mine. And I'm looking forward to it joining me (or me joining it?!) on many new adventures :cheers:

bwotw

Reaction score
Thanks, I like it too.

The Standard and Special replaced the Deluxe and Pro in late '72 (so I read), at which time they returned to very '60-ish specs (Customs too) with neck angle re-introduced as well as the 17degree head pitch. Also strengthened neck with reverse grain laminate through centre. And a volute. Mine has all the above.

Weight-wise....well, I'm an LP collector,so......it's a feather weight!.....Actually, really good and a nice change. Lovin' the bevels and styling. HUGE headstock to get used to and yes, it's a neck-diver (even with the Bigsby on). Grovers are new unfortunately but work well. Action is nice and low, neck is 40mm at the nut - slimmest non-fender neck i've ever felt! Would be super-fast too but for the high shine lacquer which grabs a bit - perhaps scotchbrite to slicken the surface?

The neck binding is awesome and even has the (diminished) remains of the nubs on most frets.

There are a million little investigations I'd like to do in order to get a better picture of it's history and what it has endured to become what it is...like, the barely perceptible image from adhesive stickers on front - a large "60" (or "GO" perhaps). But at the same time, it's not necessary to do anything in order to enjoy it the way it is. It's hardly unique, but it's mine. And I'm looking forward to it joining me (or me joining it?!) on many new adventures :cheers:

Definitely, it's great as it is (aside from maybe a pickup swap if you feel like it :)) I know how you feel about the narrow neck nut - I have a '69 with the same one and it's a very fun neck to play (BTW, the finish and checking look very alike, they've aged in a similar way). Congratulations again!

SouthPoll

Reaction score
Incidentally, anyone know what pots/caps this should have? None of it seems original so I may as well throw in what works best....

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Nice guitar and like others... I'd leave it as is and play the heck out of it!

SouthPoll

Reaction score
Oooooohhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh.....

...now it's looking better (not to mention SOUNDING like it oughta!....well, on the bridge at least):dude:

Also found a couple of vintage volume knobs - four would have been nice.

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I think you've done well with this... finding that Gibson cover really adds to the package.

thanks for letting us see it and look over your shoulder while you get it running.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Seein' this one and bwotw's make me wanna put on my maroon coloured wide-wale corduroy bell-bottoms and winkle-pickers .
Biddlin ;>)/
tumblr_mjk9qyF9a51r74sabo1_500.jpg

SouthPoll

Reaction score
I think you've done well with this... finding that Gibson cover really adds to the package.

thanks for letting us see it and look over your shoulder while you get it running.

Yr welcome - and it's not just the cover....

....bought a p.o.s franken-fender tele with this in the bridge. Picked up the whole guitar, case, strap, leads and Marshall amp for a song SOLELY ON THE OFF CHANCE THAT THIS WAS NOT JUST THE EMBOSSED COVER. It paid off. Removed cover to find a T-Bucker (Patent decal intact).

No hurry to get her back to original spec, plays awesome already, but will certainly be keeping an eye out for more bargains.

Latest posts