Rock and Roll Compilation Rec's, Anyone?

Ne_buddy

Reaction score
Ok, I think y'all would be just the group to ask this question. Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Here's the deal. I'm teaching a college course on Popular Music as literature this coming term and I've got the texts ordered. I'm an English teacher, so you might say this a Dancing About Architecture course, but, hey, it's what I do.

We'll be reading the Rolling Stone Illustrated History, the Best Music Writing of 2010, and something called Popular Music: Key Concepts, which is in dictionary form (pretty heady stuff, but cool). And there will be some scholarly/lit. crit. stuff thrown in as well.

So, please let me know, what compilation or anthology would you put on reserve at the library for the students to become familiar with Rock and Roll from its earliest moments to its maturation as a major genre? Or even up until its several resurrections?

guitarweasel

Reaction score
[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=21288.msg255401#msg255401 date=1294973063]
Please define "Rock and Roll".
[/quote]

rock.gif
[size=15pt]+[/size]
1767crescent_roll.jpg

Ne_buddy

Reaction score
Ok, dudes, I appreciate your appreciation for the vagaries of the term. ;D I guess I'm using the term in a narrower sense.

We are all likely aware that there are iterations of blues and country and western that precede Elvis at Sun in '54 and that these prototypes might convincingly pass for rock and roll. That's exactly what I'm looking for -- a compilation that is comfortable blurring the line (or at least tracing its trajectory) from blues & country into straight up rock and rollers like Buddy, Chuck, Elvis, Fats, Jerry, Lil' Richard, and Roy. I'm drawing the line at '63 and the British Invasion because, by then, the genre is well established.

dbb

Reaction score
It's a shame, although understandable, that you're stopping at the British invasion - The Rolling Stone book is very suspect as they totally devalue many styles of music we like, such as prog and metal, as it does not fit the working class-adolescent-Marxist POV that the Cristgaus and Marcus and Bangs push. This book disses art and prog rock big time, along with Zep and metal but does have a lot of good info and pictures of certain things.

Two books that I'd recommend:

"Understanding Rock - Essays in Musical Analysis" by John Covach and Graeme M. Boone, which really attempts to make clear musical and other concepts in a variety of later rock genres.

Also "Rocking the Classics - English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture" which will fill in the gaps, omissions, and correct outright errors in the Rolling Stone book, although outside of the target time line.

But since you are focused on the early years, please consider "Good Rockin' Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock 'N' Roll" which really gives a good understanding of the birth of rock from its country and blues roots.

I'm glad that such courses are being taught. Good on ya mate!

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=21288.msg255404#msg255404 date=1294973444]

rock.gif
[size=15pt]+[/size]
1767crescent_roll.jpg

[/quote]

So it's a granite poppy seed croissant? No wonder I missed the point in the past. :?

John J

Reaction score
[quote author=dbb link=topic=21288.msg255418#msg255418 date=1294980761]
So it's a granite poppy seed croissant? No wonder I missed the point in the past. :?
[/quote]Good one. You don't miss much.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
sounds like a fun class and I hope the students appreciate having such a cool teacher to work that into their class O0

I know tons of examples of great rock stuff but not alot of things that pull all rock and roll into one book or vid. I just keep thinking about that jack black movie school of rock ;D

let us know how the class goes and Keep On Rockin!

Westy Q

Reaction score
[quote author=dbb link=topic=21288.msg255418#msg255418 date=1294980761]
[/quote]

That's a croissant?? It looks like two *****'s (*****' ? Peni??) ???

Latest posts