Rock and Roll is Dead

Discussion in 'General Music' started by pingdum, Jul 4, 2006.

1. pingdum

pingdum Member

Checking out the comments in this part of the forum reminds me why Rock and Roll is dead. The main theme seems to be: "Blindly do whatever the Government, The Police and Religion tell you to do"
    And you people call yourselves Rockers? It's pathetic.

2. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

There is a difference betwen raising and issue for debate and simply looking for argument
    . . . you're comments lead me to believe that you are only truly seeking the latter

so in attempt to bring the topic to intelligent debate:

Where is it defined that Rock 'n Roll equals Anarchy and Atheism?

3. pingdum

pingdum Member

[quote author=gotdabluz link=topic=9272.msg119693#msg119693 date=1152033478]

Where is it defined that Rock 'n Roll equals Anarchy and Atheism?
    [/quote]

Are you serious? There isn't enough room on these servers to list all the anti-authority/anti-christianity songs.

4. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

just because one group of so called 'rockers' espouse an anti-government anit-god mentality does not mean that all do, or that they speak for all others
    . . . you make the mistake of thinking that your individual influences and point of view apply to everyone else or that they should think they way you do because you do . . . In fact, there is a great deal of 'Chrisitian' influenced rock 'n roll abound in todays culture
    . . . pour yourself a cup of coffee and wake up . . . the world is not only as you see it

Your lack of knowledge of the history of rock 'n roll proves you wrong, just as your lack of knowledge of the Declaration of Independence did

Gospel begat Blues and Blues begat Rock 'n Roll . . . Rock 'n Roll has diversified over the years to give a (usually) musical voice to many different points of view, but the idea that your in particular is dominant or of the majority is plainly flawed

5. pingdum

pingdum Member

Ok, educate me. Tell me one establishment, non-law-breaking type who did anything to further Rock and Roll, not just copy what the rebels before them did. And I'm sorry, but I'll stick with my position that "Nature's God" is not the same as Man's God.

6. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Rock & Roll goes beyond hating your parents, the establishment, or the mores of society.
    Of course, some of us go through stages in our lives where that happens.
    Alot of it is pure show too.

Alot of Rockers like Rory Gallagher - playing meant everything to them - beyond
    the politics and mayhem (He was from Ireland and toured parts of Northern Ireland
    when NO ONE ELSE WOULD SET FOOT THERE because of 'the troubles'...

It's a hunger from within. That's why I respect some PUNK too...

The GODFATHER of PUNK, Pete Townshed had that rage but also a spiritual side too.

Music can be appreciated on MANY levels, not just anger.....

7. pingdum

pingdum Member

I'm not talking about music in general, I'm speaking of Rock and Roll. Rebel music. The best made by law breaking, drug taking, authority pissing-off guys like Pete Towsend and Rory Gallagher.

edit: OK, I don't know a lot about Rory Gallagher but I'm betting he's done a few bad things and pissed off a few parents.

8. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

[quote author=pingdum link=topic=9272.msg119701#msg119701 date=1152034820]
    I'll stick with my position that "Nature's God" is not the same as Man's God.
    [/quote]

based on your own perspective that is true for you, but you continually fail to look at the influences of the historical period you speak of
    . . . they did believe in God (in the biblical sense), and it was in recognition of that belief that they established the principles by which we should be governed
    . . . and by what they wrote they credited those principles to Him and not to man
    . . . if there is a God, which they so believed, then He is not man's, but man is His

I'm not telling you this to promote Christianity or denounce any other religion or lack thereof . . . it is not my truth, it is history's
    . . . whether you like it or not, that is the way it happened . . . you're denial of it does not make it invalid

9. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

Rock and roll is not just rebel music.  Rebel music can be any form of music style; most prominently today would be rap.  Rock and roll is as much about innocence (Chuck Berry's Oh Carol) as it can be about hating your parents, government, religion, etc.  To me, the lyrics for a good rock and roll song are often irrelevant so whatever it is you are so against with todays music, I would suggest you ask yourself; what am I adding personally to the musical landscape.  We would all be glad to critique one of your songs.  Perhaps Green Day's NEW LP (American Idiot) would be a common ground for us to comment about.  Personally I think it covers quite a few bases very well.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:         :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:         :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:​

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

I never knew Elvis to break a law in his early days. He played Gospel and Rock-n-Roll (or rockabilly).

Buddy Holly sang a song "I fought the law" (the law won). He was clean cut.

Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp... Have you ever heard of Aerosmith,Georgia Satellites, Fabulous Thunderbirds? I doubt they have felonies.

Anyway marketing is King in rock-n-roll and they usually are willing to show the bad boy side in their press where any other genre would suppress it.

There is nothing totally new under the sun and so if anyone says that noone influenced them they are a liar. Even ones that started their own style like Metallica with speed metal had influences.

11. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

what a stupid arguement

rock and roll roots are in rebellion but the is no requirement that rock be rebellious

now i will go away and try to figure out what i just said means

12. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

And that's from a Dude that thinks the Butthole Surfers sold out!

13. Bogart

Bogart Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=9272.msg119724#msg119724 date=1152041289]

Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp... Have you ever heard of Aerosmith,Georgia Satellites, Fabulous Thunderbirds? I doubt they have felonies.

[/quote]

First of all, you don't have to break the law to rebel.

Secondly, Aerosmith were HEAVY drug users. Read the first chapter of their autobiography.

14. Bogart

Bogart Member

[quote author=gotdabluz link=topic=9272.msg119720#msg119720 date=1152039621]
    [quote author=pingdum link=topic=9272.msg119701#msg119701 date=1152034820]
    I'll stick with my position that "Nature's God" is not the same as Man's God.
    [/quote]

based on your own perspective that is true for you, but you continually fail to look at the influences of the historical period you speak of
    . . . they did believe in God (in the biblical sense), and it was in recognition of that belief that they established the principles by which we should be governed
    . . . and by what they wrote they credited those principles to Him and not to man
    . . . if there is a God, which they so believed, then He is not man's, but man is His

I'm not telling you this to promote Christianity or denounce any other religion or lack thereof . . . it is not my truth, it is history's
    . . . whether you like it or not, that is the way it happened . . . you're denial of it does not make it invalid
    [/quote]

Please clarify what exactly you're talking about. Who's the "they" you mention? Are you talking about the constitution? (I may be missing something here...)

15. TNT

TNT Active Member

True about Aerosmith BUT I'm not sure that they promoted drug use in their songs or to the public until they went "clean".

16. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Rock''n'roll is not dead....

it has just got old like the rest of us. There comes a point when you get tired of trying (and failing) to change this world... there are, quite simply, other priorities which take its place

The tune ends too soon for us all......

17. TNT

TNT Active Member

Go to any bar or pub on Friday and Saturday night and you'll see that rock-n-roll isn't dead. We are posting on a forum for rock-n-roll guitars manned by rock-n-roll people! :coolsmiley:

18. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

...and anyway..the early Rockers were never interetsed in changing the system... they wanted to make some cash for themselves and have a plentiful supply of hot and cold running females....... Rock n roll never was about changing the system....or politics....or revolution

It was purely about getting some money, getting a girl and getting laid :)

always has been

still is today

19. TNT

TNT Active Member

Rock-n-roll ain't dead. It's just laid up with a broken clavicle, right Elliot? :-\

20. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

How does PAYOLA from the early 50's till present play factror into this? :)