Rondo guitars vs chibson

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tazz3, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

How come rondo can sell les paul shaped guitars,But chibson cant sell les paul shaped guitars
    What is the driffrence between them i would never buy a chibson anyways

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting

?

3. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Hey Tazz, how you doing?
    because the Rondo ones Dont say "Gibson" on the headstock.
    you cant go wrong with a nice Agile LP

ninjaking67 and Tazz3 like this.
  4. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

The Rondo 'Single Cut' models are far from looking like a Gibson/Epi Les Paul....

JCarno likes this.
  5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a cheap single cut, check out the PRS Se models. They're inexpensive and really nice. You can find them used for real cheap.

6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Frog. the PRS are nice but rarely will you score one for what a new Agile runs
    Here ya go TAZZ..... the overall shape is different enough to not piss off the Gibson Lawyers. ;) AND it doesnt say GIBSON
    2 Epi LEsters flanked by 2 Agiles :)
    wall of paul 2.jpg

PeteR and Bullfrog like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Yeah, mostly the misleading headstock logo makes it illegal.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

And headstock Shape.

9. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

older agiles used to look a lot more similar to gibsons. they had an open book headstock and a sharper horn.
    [​IMG]
    gibson cracked down on rondo, so the designs were changed to the wave headstock and stubbier horn.

there used to be an agile model called the ps-900
    [​IMG]

irked PRS enough to take action as well. it has since been replaced with the hawker model

but yes, the key difference is that rondo has never advertised agile guitars as something they are not

10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

Oh ok so the shape is drffrent from an agile and les paul thats why lol
    And im ok jtcnj :) thanks for asking

eS.G. and syscokid like this.
  11. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

The issue is not the shape.

Rondo does not attempt to market the guitar as a Gibson. The guitar is clearly marked with Rondo's label. As for "Chibson," there is no company actually named, "Chibson." The term mashes the words, "China" and "Gibson" together to form the word, "Chibson." It's not a company, it's just a moniker given to just about any Chinese-made, fake Gibson. The issue is that these guitars are deceptively marketed as Gibson guitars, with the Gibson label on the headstock.

Incidentally, Gibson has tried to sue other manufacturers for making similarly-shaped guitars, but has lost in court.

12. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

There are probably 2 (at least) points.

1) As Smitty says, some Chinese manufacturers make copies of Gibsons with Gibson (or something very very similar) on the headstock - this is illegal.

2) Les Paul style guitars that have very similar headstock and overall shape to Gibson designs - many of these manufacturers market them under their own name, they are not Gibson fakes, but Gibson get peeved because they have similar looking headstocks or horn angles and/or something else, and put pressure on these manufacturers to alter the design - Harley Benton were the same; first generation LP clones were changed to a second generation which looked less like them. But, it's endless, I mean Harley Benton (among others) do ESP Eclipse clones which are a redesign of Gibson LP's made thinner and a bit more modern (?), then Gibson might make changes or a limited edition that may look to some to be inspired by the ESP clone of the Gibson LP... :shock::io:

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

right... the distinction is between something that is a LIE and a fraud, intended to fool people
    and cheat them, ...and something that is no more and no less than it seems: an inexpensive guitar
    that some of us feel is a good value.

That's a big difference IMHO. Asian marketeers might keep their cards close to their chests, so that
    we don't know what becomes of "seconds" from the Epiphone factory, or the PRS "SE" factory (if there is one)
    or the Cort factory. Some of our members seem knowledgable about various Asian sweatshops where they
    make guitars like this, to the point of claiming that instruments from a Korean sweatshop are superior in
    some way to instruments from a Chinese sweatshop or an even sweatier Indonesian one.

Beats the hell outa me. I own two Epiphones that I could NOT resist... because I was curious enough to try
    them in a store, and I liked playing them enough to reach for my master card. But that's as far as I go
    into the swamp of odd guitars. When I'm in a guitar store, my eye goes right past all the odd-ball brands
    because I'm looking for the genuine princess who's been arrested with a bunch of hookers and thrown in
    the tank for the night. They are rare. Odd brand guitars seem to be plentiful, but uninteresting.
    I would never even take one down off the rack.

If I saw a fake Gibson for sale, I'd want to report it somehow. Those burn me up.... because of the lie.
    When I read guitar fora other than this one, the members always seem so ignorant. Like duh...
    You want to protect them from sharp practices on the part of foreign grifters who are smarter than the
    average guitarist.... or the adoring girlfriend. Those are the intended marks.

When I think about odd-brand guitars, what I dream about is
    Heritage Guitars (made in Kalamazoo at the old Gibson Factory),
    or Reverend Guitars (made in Detroit). Those are the stuff that dreams are made of.
    But I cain't afford one, and am happy with what I do have... there it is.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  14. Col Mustard

AND FURTHERMORE...
    (Michael comes back to the table after going upstairs to play his Epiphone...)

I just have to say how much I LOVE playing my Epiphone guitars. I think there is something
    very cool about playing good music on an inexpensive guitar. I've seen it done too.
    dramatic pause...

"I usually don't watch award shows, but when I do I count Epiphone guitars..." *rim shot

Last award show I watched, I counted three Epis, all played to tremendous effect.
    We don't bother to count Fender Strats, or Gibson Les Pauls at major events do we, because they seem
    commonplace... to the point of being 'Industry Standard." And we never see an odd-brand guitar at
    a major event, unless it's a hand made one of a kind. *shrugs

But I love owning a cheap guitar that I've modded so that it's the opposite of a 'Chibson" lie...
    My Epiphone looks like a cheap guitar to a superficial observer (or a closed minded one) but it is
    so much more than it seems... that's the part that I like. It gives me great joy to see someone do a
    double take... "what is THAT, an Epiphone? ... wow, it sounds great."

Yeah, baby. Give 'em more than they thought they were getting. That's the opposite of the fake Gibson
    idea. And I'm sure it can be done with Agile and others I don't know about. And THAT
    is the difference IMHO.

ninjaking67 likes this.
  15. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

About fake guitars, I'll quote my own posts in a thread started by our friend Col. Mustard:

Here is the thread http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/best-chinese-gibson-guitars.25011/page-4

One of my stratocasters is a 22 years old Fender SC made in Brazil, but it is a Fender product, licensed and inspected by Fender USA back then.

In simple words, if I buy a guitar, I'll buy the original stuff or at least a licensed cheaper product. I don't like offset brands, but I'd buy one IF (a big IF) their product is designed and made by themselves, not a copy or a knockoff.

16. Col Mustard

well said...

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Now----I am not one to STIR UP SHITE ----- BUWahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

But Mr deMelo .....would THIS be considered a copy? a knock off? an ABOMINATION????
    Kraken1.jpg

OR a lovely hunk of wood that sounds good weights a ton and can kill a mugger whilst still holding tune ????

18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

19. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Lol that depends. What is that, exactly?

20. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I've had that AD-2300 on my watch list since it listed.
    But alas, I can only watch.

This is what currently has my brain in a GAS knot:
    https://reverb.com/item/2291092-eastwood-p90-special-tv-yellow

Its less than an hours drive for me, but I just dont got the magic green Treasury beans.
    Yellow P90 Gibson -like double cuts are supermodels to me.
    Excuse me while I....
    Oh, never mind.