Rosewood Conditioning

LeadFinger

Reaction score
"How do you know when you need it? What are the positive results of using it?"

You know with rosewood when it needs help. The grain starts splitting and it looks sickly. With ebony it's a bit less obvious, but ebony needs love, too. I use Fret Dr. but lots of people like the Dunlop, too.

I did my LP Classic and the result was dramatic. The rosewood looked healthy and darker afterward.

eS.G.

Reaction score
As a general rule I do every new guitar (new or used) when I change the strings. Even if it doesn't NEED it......why not....can't hurt :)

RVA

Reaction score
As a general rule I do every new guitar (new or used) when I change the strings. Even if it doesn't NEED it......why not....can't hurt :)
According to written accounts, Queen Elizabeth I declared herself that she bathed once a month “whether I need it or not.” Because of her frequency, she was considered the perfect embodiment of cleanliness.

Madmatt

Reaction score
This is the stuff I also use. I like it, have to give it some time after oiling for that lemon smell to die down though

Norton

Reaction score
Most of the guitar fretboard oils are 99% mineral oil, lemon oil included.

Olive oil and baby oil can really attract gunk. I've been using hemp oil for the past couple of years and it's definitely very different. No gunk, super long lasting and it'll darken up your fretboard like nothing else.

Plus it's hemp. What's not to like?

Goldmember

Reaction score
Sorry for no pics, mates. The fingerboard was fine: I just gave it a touch of oil when changing strings, just as eS.G. said. It now has the darkness of ebony, but with the rosewood grain, of course. For this Labor Day, every SG out there deserves to be pampered. Go on...DO IT!

According to written accounts, Queen Elizabeth I declared herself that she bathed once a month “whether I need it or not.” Because of her frequency, she was considered the perfect embodiment of cleanliness.

God, I hope that the Queen used a bidet between baths: Nothing as repulsive as a stinky queen.

Last edited:

Karathas

Reaction score
Did she use lemon Oil to clean her fingerboard too? :)

shreddy bender

Reaction score
I used mineral oil on Shirley my new SGJ and her finger board jumped to life immediately.
No gunk yet either. I could see hemp oil working nicely but hash oil would just make a delicious gooey mess!

zisme

Reaction score
i have a bottle of gerlitz guitar honey i apply every couple of string changes if needed. i like the results, and it seems like it will last forever...

Vinlander

Reaction score
Dryness is the worst enemy of wood and guitar. Must be careful with conditioning a rosewood fret board too often or too much though.
Every string change (unless happening every 6 months) is a bit overkill for me; use too much and the wood loose its capacity to breath and absorb humidity.
Too much and oil can get under the rosewood and loosen the adhesive, inlays ...
For me I do it in fall and spring at the same time I also tweak the truss rod following the crazy seasonal change we have up here. Can go a long run with just a bit.
Got a Gorgomyte cloth lately, will try that next time.
It is far more important to keep good relative humidity all year long (45-55) than to oil the board for keeping it moist; then a little oil once in a while for the look and protection.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I must agree that twice/yearly seems more than adequate and less than excessive, for rosewood boards. I have never used any sort of "product" other than saliva or water on my ebony or maple boards. I have also never witnessed frets or inlays detaching due to super hydration or lubrication, but concede the possibility.
I suspect most of us do it more for cosmetic than restorative purpose. I probably oil mine every couple of years, if that. I apply Fret 1(Music Nomad) with an old t-shirt.
;>)/

Latest posts