Rude Comments......Hurt Feelings

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Wags, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wags

Wags New Member

I need to say something here, and I may get my hands slapped for it but I feel it needs to be said, especially in light of recent comments.

Not everyone here is a professional musician.
    Not everyone here is an adult.
    Not everyone here can afford the gear that they want.

But I think we ALL need to remember that none of us is perfect, we ALL make mistakes.
    We all have feelings and I think we need to stop and think before we "open mouth, insert foot"..........

I'd hate to think that I said something so awful that someone left the forum because of me or my comments. So please, engage your brain before you engage your mouth.

I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes.....I include myself in this as well.

We're all here to learn and have fun, so let's play nice!!

2. doveman

doveman Member

I would agree ... as a new member of the forum ... I think it got kind of rough ... painful to watch actually.

But at the same time, there's a good lesson here. Don't share every feeling or idea play-by-play.

I'm 50 years old and I post my thoughts at at times I get the feeling they just don't want to hear all of this detail. There are clues ... some harsher than others. It's a good lesson to learn ... not just for forums.

I obsess about guitars, amps and stuff even at my age. Good example: Last year I was working on a Washburn guitar ... trying to make a good slide guitar. Almost NO information anywhere on the internet about these guitars. So I asked questions like crazy and posted play-by-play looking for suggestions ... posting clips ... here too. Well I stopped getting answers and replies. People had gotten tired of watching me build this project. So I eased up.

So it's just like playing guitar ... it's important to leave some spaces ... pay attention to the others responses. This is a great place ... the internet ... but it's communication with other people ... adjust accordingly.

I hope he gets his SG eventually. :) I didn't get my first good guitar until I was about 16 or 17 years old ... I longed for that Les Paul for 5-6 years. My dad could not afford to buy me the guitar I wanted either. Finally got it after I worked hard to save for it.

3. chuck

chuck Member

i actually quite enjoyed reading all the different schemes and plots, seeing as I've never seen him it was easy to imagine a 'dick dastardly' type character. catch the pigeon accept with a Gibson instead of a pigeon, and no muttley.

for anyone who does know what I'm on about it was a kids cartoon were a guy (dick)_ would come up with all sorts of hair brained plans to catch the pigeon, and muttley was a dog with a funny laugh

4. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

5. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

[quote author=chuck link=topic=11884.msg154705#msg154705 date=1168119913]
    i actually quite enjoyed reading all the different schemes and plots, seeing as I've never seen him it was easy to imagine a 'dick dastardly' type character. catch the pigeon accept with a Gibson instead of a pigeon, and no muttley.

for anyone who does know what I'm on about it was a kids cartoon were a guy (dick)_ would come up with all sorts of hair brained plans to catch the pigeon, and muttley was a dog with a funny laugh
    [/quote]
    um i understood everyone elses comments but...there are limits to my ability. :)

6. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=Wags link=topic=11884.msg154643#msg154643 date=1168104721]
    I need to say something here, and I may get my hands slapped for it but I feel it needs to be said, especially in light of recent comments.

Not everyone here is a professional musician.
    Not everyone here is an adult.
    Not everyone here can afford the gear that they want.

But I think we ALL need to remember that none of us is perfect, we ALL make mistakes.
    We all have feelings and I think we need to stop and think before we "open mouth, insert foot"..........

I'd hate to think that I said something so awful that someone left the forum because of me or my comments. So please, engage your brain before you engage your mouth.

I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes.....I include myself in this as well.

We're all here to learn and have fun, so let's play nice!!

[/quote]

VEGAL HEIMER SHMEGAN HOGEN!

7. Loud and Proud

Loud and Proud Member

Sometimes sheer ignorance can only be over shadowed by stupidity.

8. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Oh God!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chuck,
    To this day the Muttly laugh cracks me up!!!! I used to have a boss that did that, unintentionally, but we teased him to no end.

You realize we have an entire generation on this forum with no clue what the hell you're talking about? :?

I, for one, get the reference. Thanks for the laugh!

:-)
    Neo

9. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

what the...?

was it me??

... is this thread in response to the thing that I wrote?

I was only trying to get a point over in a comical-use-of metaphor way. I would post it again tomorrow if i felt the urge to.... there was no malice or "awful"ness intended... only Black Humour - at worst...
    All written without a hint of remorse and/or Apology...
    Jeez - it even made ME laugh

Then again, if this thread IS NOT referring to me, then ignore all the above.... ;D

10. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

I think that in part it was aimed more at me Brew :oops:
    I made a very stupid and Hamfisted Post in a.n.other thread and unfortunately...........

Well lets just say that I have written a Personal Apology regarding the incident.

I "think" that most would actually agree that it was VERY out of nature for me to do such a thing. But it doesn't alter the fact that I have caused upset and "implied" extremely uncharitable thoughts.

There You are....Not Quite What You Expected.

Lexie

11. Wags

Wags New Member

I was simply trying to make a point, and the thread was locked. I asked that it please be unlocked, as I had something else I wanted to say.

I am NOT pointing fingers at anyone in particular. Rude things have been said, and it serves no one. We are all at different maturity levels here, regardless of age.
    I don't know anyone here who doesn't get excited over new gear, or the prospects of getting new gear. How many times have you heard someone go on and on about getting a new amp or guitar, try it for a while, and realize that it just isn't "THE ONE".
    Buying, selling, trading until they find just the right one.

Put yourself in the place of a young boy....struggling to find just the right guitar, not enough money.....and yes, maybe a "little" over zealous and excited about it.....we get a play by play of his thoughts.......but don't you ALL kinda do that yourself??

If you don't like what someone is going on and on about then don't read their thread.
    Just don't put them down and belittle someone. You never know how that will make them feel; or what kind of impact that could have.

Okay....I've been allowed to speak my peace, now I guess Weasel will promptly lock it again. Thanks Weasel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.