S/N Help for SG Jr

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by jahillsr, Jul 6, 2020.

1. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

Hi all who read this, I have an SG Jr with a P90 that I have had for longer then I remember LOL. I have searched all the web (that I could find) in an attempt to figure out the S/N code on this guitar to figure it's materials etc ... without luck. The S/N# is J7021262

It is a great guitar and I am practicing some blues on it as I am finally learning how to play.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Biddlin and DrBGood like this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Good afternoon jahillsr. It would help to see the instrument. Actually it would more than help, it would please everybody here, especially if you Jr was made in 2007 at the Terada Gakki Seisakusyo (Japan) plant, as the J7 prefix suggests.

Strange though that you seem to have a 7 numeral digit serial as the're usually 6. When you post pictures, can you post detailed ones of front and back of headstock ? Is it a set or glued neck ?

Let's see those pictures :)

Biddlin likes this.
  3. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

OK, Here you go.

Attached Files:

Biddlin likes this.
  4. DrBGood

Biddlin likes this.
  5. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

Thanks DrBGood!! I appreciate the time you spent in my behalf!

6. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

Do you know where this was made based on that info?

7. DrBGood

J points to Japan, but not 100% sure. Let me look.

8. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

Thank you for your help.

Biddlin and DrBGood like this.
  9. DrBGood

Looks like it must be Indonesian made.

Biddlin likes this.
  10. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

Thank you!

DrBGood and Biddlin like this.
  11. SurfNTurf

SurfNTurf New Member

I own two of these, both from 1997. One is Japanese and one is Indonesian. They are subtly different in construction so even without the serial # I could tell yours is Japanese.
    The differences are:
    Strap button: Indonesian is on the horn, Japanese on the back of the neck at the heel (I’ve added one to the horn of the jap black one)
    Control cavity: larger on Indonesian, allowing wider spacing of the knobs and jack socket than on the Japanese.
    On the Jap, the Epiphone decal on the headstock is silver, not gold (even though the ‘Junior’ decal is gold).
    The side position dots on the neck are bigger on the Japanese one.
    The Japanese one has a white nut, the Indonesian one has a black nut.
    The Indonesian body is definitely ply, you can see it clearly in the control cavity and it feels considerably heavier than the Japanese one. The Japanese is definitely solid wood, you can see grain in the cavity, not ply sandwiching. I don’t know what though, guessing it’s basswood from the weight.
    The Japanese has silver capped top hat style knobs, the Indonesian has the black speed dial type. Before someone shouts about the bridge and the tuners, the black jap one I’ve replaced the stock lightening bolt one with a tune-o-matic style wrap around and the tuners are grover, also replaced from stock, as the black one is my main player, the red is my spare/second for on stage.
    Anyone who has one of these short lived beasts will tell you they’re great guitars and they are! They play beautifully and the p90 runs pretty hot with killer p90 tone. Brighter than a HB, but with some throaty miss that carry a bit more growl than other single coils. I don’t care that the necks are bolt on rather than glued.
    Finally, the Japanese one, the serial # starts with J. The Indonesian starts with a CI, indicating it was made in the Cort factory in Indonesia. Yours is definitely Japanese!

Attached Files:

jahillsr likes this.
  12. DrBGood

AH ! There you go jahillsr
    What are the neck profiles ?

13. jahillsr

jahillsr New Member

Thank you SurfNTurf for your input. It is a nice player with surprisingly good sustain and a comfortable neck profile. And thank you DrBGood for your input as well. I appreciate you both taking the time to respond!

14. SurfNTurf

SurfNTurf New Member

Well all my other instruments are Fender now (I sold the SG in my profile pic) so I know considerably more about fender neck profiles than I do Epi or Gibson. They’re not quite a slim as fender Modern C shape, more like a D. I imagine they’re considerably slimmer than original Juniors? I have quite small hands (I’m only 5’ 8”) and they’re both easily playable. I love the shorter scale and the fact that the necks are further down the body than the glued in ones means the whole length of the instrument is maybe 2 - 2 1/2 inches shorter than my strats and jazzmasters. The fingerboard is also flatter than my fenders so I’d say these have a 12” radius like the rest of the SG family members, Gibson or Epiphone.
    I watched a YouTube video recently of a luthier/tech doing a full strip down service of this exact model and he was genuinely surprised at the construction quality and quality of the electronics used as stock. He actually said ‘very impressed at the quality of this budget instrument. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this.’ He’s not wrong. One of Epi’s best kept secret pocket rockets!

DrBGood likes this.