Santa came early; SG Classic

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by mdubya, Dec 3, 2009.

1. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Santa arrived with a special box for me today:

[​IMG]

Inside the box was a hard shell case:

[​IMG]

Inside the case was a shiny, cherry red SG Classic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone ate pizza before packing this one. :D The yellow is a reflection of the paint on my walls. But when editing these photos, I had to run to the other room and take a second look at my new guit. I gave it a good polishing at that time too.

[​IMG]

2. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

It is a 2005 model, but if it was cleaned up properly, I would have had to have looked very hard to notice that it was not brand new; just a few use marks on the pick guard and a very light ding on the neck, which wasn't noticeable until I was polishing it and really looking it over.

[​IMG]

Another smudgey view:

[​IMG]

Top o' the body:

[​IMG]

Homemade strap locks and safety patrol strap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photos don't do it justice. It is in excellent + shape. I am very happy with the purchase. I got what I think was a pretty great deal, and it is definitely a great guitar.

More first impressions in a bit.

3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Very Nic! I have never played a Classic plugged in, I bet they sound sweet though

4. Seth

Seth Member

That's absolutely beautiful!

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Yep...... Yep...... Beautiful!!! 8) 8) 8)

And how's it sound????

6. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. It is sweet. It sounds...well, it sounds like everyone says it will sound. I had never played a P 90 guitar before, but everything I have read about the Classic and, of course, the P 90 Specials and Juniors that came before always raved about the tone. It is all true. It sounds very different from my 57 Classic equipped '91 Special which sounds very warm and creamy. The Classic is all spank and growl and clarity. I really like the neck pick up. It has that rich scooped neck sound without any trace of muddiness. The harder you hit the strings, the more it snarls and rasps. Sabbath sounds incredible and authentic on the bridge pick up. Certain Zeppelin like "Communication Breakdown" and "Whole Lotta Love" sound extra authentic too.

It came set up nicely with a nice straight neck and nice action. I lowered the action just a bit more. But the bridge pick up started to get very edgy and a microphonic, so it was too close to the strings after lowering the action. The pole pieces were screwed out pretty far so I gave each an equal turn in and the problem has gone away. I might lower both p'ups just a bit more to mellow it out, but I might not. :)

What I really like is, it is just a beautifully made guitar. It is solid and straight and well finished and very light (my '91 is fairly heavy).

I think it is a keeper. I was surprised by how very different it sounds. It is somewhat subtle, but then again, it is not subtle at all.

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Very nice! Merry Christmas to you. You will love it. Only thing I would change is the straplocks since I am a big fan of schallers. It allows me to use one strap and jump from guitar to guitar very easy.

8. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

The SG Classic is like a wild mustang colt. Lowering the pups will improve the clarity and take away the wolfinshness but leave the growl. Be sure to balance the volume with the pups. Do this by ear.

You are going to be amazed once you get it dialed in to the way you like it. This SG will take you places.

I have 57's in my Les Paul Studio and it is like a thoroughbread race horse! So I have two Gibsons that are allmost identical in hardware and feel yet different enough in tone that I will never get bored.

9. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20036.msg242517#msg242517 date=1259897919]
    Very nice! Merry Christmas to you. You will love it. Only thing I would change is the straplocks since I am a big fan of schallers. It allows me to use one strap and jump from guitar to guitar very easy.
    [/quote]

Thanks ORF. This guitar is so light, it feels almost like a toy. Of course, as soon as I could unpack it, I was over to my amp and plugged in. The light weight was making me very nervous as I kept feeling like it was going to get away from me, didn't have a strap on it yet so it was sliding around on my knee. All my other straps are pretty much bolted on to my other guitars, so I had to go scrounge up the old safety orange strap I had stashed away, for obvious (orange) reasons. ;D I used the washers just for security. If I see the schallers I will give them a look.

10. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=uyasgali link=topic=20036.msg242519#msg242519 date=1259898374]
    The SG Classic is like a wild mustang colt. Lowering the pups will improve the clarity and take away the wolfinshness but leave the growl. Be sure to balance the volume with the pups. Do this by ear.

You are going to be amazed once you get it dialed in to the way you like it. This SG will take you places.

I have 57's in my Les Paul Studio and it is like a thoroughbread race horse! So I have two Gibsons that are allmost identical in hardware and feel yet different enough in tone that I will never get bored.
    [/quote]

I really appreciate the advice on playing with the pick up height. I always teak and tweak on my stuff until I am happy with it. And I couldn't agree with you more on the wild mustang analogy. The whole time I have been playing it, I have been thinking, "damn,this thing is half outta control." :rofl:

11. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

What a beaut! Lovin' the inlays, they're pre-aged.

12. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

way to go! :)

13. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

That is some kind sweet. How much was it? If you don't mind me asking.

14. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=20036.msg242535#msg242535 date=1259935971]
    That is some kind sweet. How much was it? If you don't mind me asking.
    [/quote]

$700. From Music Go Round in Atlanta, GA. They were great to deal with and the condition of the guitar was better than I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams, so I have to give them a plug. I was pretty concerned about buying a guitar without playing it first, but this went as well or better than I expected.

I took uyasgali's advice and lowered the p'ups, and that really sweetened up the guitar; kept the desireable characteristics and calmed down the wild side significantly. It took the guitar from being "half outta control" to me being in control. The dang thing just keeps getting better and better. I was up half the night playing it. :D

15. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

yep, hard not to like the SG classic. I still believe it is the single best value in a gibson right now. Just a great playing and sounding guitar that is still priced so that you don't have to be a millionaire to buy one.

16. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Member

17. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=20036.msg242526#msg242526 date=1259904813]
    What a beaut! Lovin' the inlays, they're pre-aged.
    [/quote]

One of the great things about this forum: people notice things I wouldn't have.

I've been playing it all afternoon, switching from amp to amp to amp. Still loving it. As a matter of fact, I am having a hard time putting it down.

18. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Nice Ultraman avatar BTW.

19. heymisterk

heymisterk New Member

Best electric guitar I ever owned. I swapped out the tuners for Grover Rotomatics a la Pete Townsend's SG Special. But everything else on this guitar is specatular.

20. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

A few new photos (maybe practice shots for the photo contest ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flash?

[​IMG]

Or natural lighting?

[​IMG]