Santana's SGs

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bob L, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Bob L

Bob L Member

I am very familiar with footage of Carlos Santana playing his red SG with P90s at Woodstock. That SG had a stop tailpiece and the short vibrato had been moved back to make room. I recently watched a video of the Tanglewood concert from 1970. In that concert, Santana is playing a black SG, also with a stop tailpiece and short vibrato, and the P90 covers are white.

Was it the same guitar? It seems odd that there would have been two SGs with the unusual tailpiece and vibrato hardware. I read an interview in which Santana said he destroyed the red SG because it wouldn't stay in tune. Did he leave out a few details?

2. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

3. Bob L

Bob L Member

Yes, I read that. It leaves the question up in the air. Just wondering if anyone here knew more. It seems more likely to me that the guitar was refinished in black. I did not know that the VMA-1 tremolo was available on SGs. However it got there, why remount it after installing a stop tailpiece? Balance?

4. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

I never noticed the bridge change on Sanana's SG . It is a shame that guitar was destroyed, it had a beautiful shape, really sharp bevels.

5. sekoya

sekoya Member

They call it the Sanana's special !:naughty:

6. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

7. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

So on the Abraxas album Santana used a LP Special with P90s ? Kinda hard to track this down definitively. GK amp or Twin ?

8. Bob L

Bob L Member

That would be the logical explanation. There is a lot of contradictory information out there. I was not aware that SG Specials were available with that particular vibrola unit, but someone in the thread claimed to have had one.

There is a lot of conflicting information about the guitar used to record Abraxas. I always assumed it was the same SG Carlos used at Woodstock but in the last few days I read that he used a LP Custom.