Score! Chocolate 50's Tribute

DCCable

Reaction score
The caps between lug 1 and 2 on the vol pots are 180 pf caps for treble bleed.

The extra cap between the tone pot and lug 2 on the volume is a 1nf cap. As you can see the wiper of the tone pot is attached to the .022 uf cap with the other side of that cap to ground.

The two caps result in a modified tone circuit that is flat at 10, slightly drops the mid band out at around 7 or 8, is back to essentially flat at 5 or 6 and rolls the treble off like a conventional tone control from 5 on down to 1.

For 2 extra caps you get a more versatile tone circuit.

WavMixer

Reaction score
I am a certified chocoholic. I love chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate truffles... but alas I am diabetic and have to settle for sugar free chocolate now a days. However your chocolate SG is just making my mouth water. I prefer wood grain instead of paint, and brown wood over red wood. Chocolate is my favorite flavor of the brown colors that Gibson offers. So Rob, you own my favorite guitar (SG) in my favorite color and it's got 24 frets! You sir just gave me guitar envy.

syscokid

Reaction score
The caps between lug 1 and 2 on the vol pots are 180 pf caps for treble bleed.
Thanks DC. Ha ha... I wasn't even sure they were caps. I've never seen caps like that before.

The extra cap between the tone pot and lug 2 on the volume is a 1nf cap. As you can see the wiper of the tone pot is attached to the .022 uf cap with the other side of that cap to ground.

The two caps result in a modified tone circuit that is flat at 10, slightly drops the mid band out at around 7 or 8, is back to essentially flat at 5 or 6 and rolls the treble off like a conventional tone control from 5 on down to 1.

For 2 extra caps you get a more versatile tone circuit.
Never heard of this mod either. Definitely going to have to try this.

DCCable

Reaction score
Please, give it a shot. I can't even claim credit, its something I picked up on another website; I can't even remember who the author was to give them the credit.

BTW the 180 pf caps are polystyrene caps. Fender used some similar caps in their "bright switch" circuits in BF and SF amps.

Latest posts