Selector Switch Labeling

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ChubbyFingers, Jun 20, 2020.

1. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

^ Well, being a pedant, gas, or gasoline to use its full name rather than the abbreviation, is a kind of fuel... I suppose the filter in the neck at least stops some people trying to shove lumps of coal down there...

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The trouble is that treble and rhythm are not alternatives. You can have either with or without the other. And I'm more inclined to play rhythm on the bridge pickup than the neck - better percussion to the notes. And my lead playing tends to be thick-toned and played on the neck pickup.

How about labelling it NECK and BRIDGE? Or is that too left field?

3. ChubbyFingers

Oh.

I've figured it out.

The ring just masks any dodgy finish or drilling burrs around the hole, and they figured they had to put something on there...

Dale and donepearce like this.
  4. donepearce

Give that man a cigar!

Dale likes this.
  5. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

I know it's called a "blend" knob but I haven't a clue how it interacts. So hard to find one to try out around here. A 325 Miami is on my bucket list. I'll likely have to order one to try it.

As for the pickup ring, It's nothing more than tradition. We don't know just how ill informed some players may have been 50-60 years ago. I like it myself. I see it as a nice little decorative accent.

Dale likes this.
  6. donepearce

I do know, because I was a player 50-60 years ago. My first Gibson had no ring, and I had it figured out in a few seconds. Had it been fitted with a ring that said rhythm/treble it would probably have taken me a few minutes. I was totally uninformed, just had a functioning brain.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

in keeping with the thread...

[​IMG]

F39D1F66-30A5-4499-BF8E-386D31421AB7.jpeg

rotorhead likes this.
  8. Tia

Tia New Member

If you buy a new Gibson guitar, at least with the Specials, they do not install the ring around the switch. It is part of the case candy. It looks aesthetically pleasing with the ring on. Without the ring, it looks like the guitar is missing something. Unfortunately, I do not have the proper tools to install the ring. C'est la vie.

9. donepearce

You genuinely don't have a pair of pliers? I'm shocked.

10. jfine

jfine New Member

The other thing that makes me chuckle regarding Gibson’s switch labelling is that it’s aligned to be read from the audience’s point of view, not the player’s. As far as I can tell, the “poker chip” started being used on Les Pauls in 1952. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on any earlier Gibsons. “Neck” and “Bridge” would have been more accurate designations anyway. I like some of the novelty ones that are available—one that I’ve seen reads “Marianne” and Ginger”. Me, I want one that reads “Galadriel” and “Sauron”. In Elvish.

11. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

My first thought was "Hang on, rhythm isn't even the opposite of treble, the two terms virtually have no common universe in which to co-exist. I mean, if I wanted rhythm per se, I'd play the bloody drums and not everything you play on that pick up is or has rhythm. And what if I want more bass on my bridge pick up? Do I then add rhythm? No, I want to add bass. And does the bridge pickup have less rhythm? No the rhythm is in my hands.. Sh!t, I give up...."

Rob Dotz likes this.
  12. Rob Dotz

Rob Dotz New Member

Yes. We apparently are too dumb. They can charge you $4,500 for that carved top, so that chip you got on that $1,500 flat guitar is the same, did you notice the non-carved top? Look, I'll be the first to admit when I want something, I can make stupid decisions, but I pull that chip off every time, I hate it, it's a place for dead skin to bunch up, attracting oil and ruin the finish. I'd rather have the chip in a safe place if I ever (and never have done it yet) sell the guitar. When I donate my gear to my step grand, and my old high school and also the Vet's program, they can add the original gear all they want. I just had it. Does nobody remember that Les made his first electric out of a railroad tie? It's all bullshit, get what you like, fix it how you want and just enjoy life, you only get that one. I wouldn't mind it if it was painted, frankly. it'd look fine, but if it just flaps there, I think it's pretty stupid, not me, them.

13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I guess the poker chip doesn't bother me. I normally dislike labelling of controls on guitars, but here and there I do have these odd personal exceptions. Whereas I wouldn't like the poker chip on any other guitar, on a Gibson it's got sort of this quirky appeal to me. But, that's just me.

I have had the idea to flip it around so no wording is visible and just think of it as a little scratch guard for the pickup switch.

14. OldDog

OldDog Member

I remove them. They are needless clutter. And not all Gibsons use them. ES-335s do not use the chip despite the switch having the same function. Is that because by the time you have arrived at the 335 level you have figured out what that toggle does?

15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Yup the labeling is dumb, and I have even gotten a custom one made before (STUN and KILL) but nonetheless I prefer the look with them on. Not sure why they went with those words but it was probably some marketing stooge - remember, when the Les Paul was released in 1952 it didn't have a poker chip (but it did have that absurd trapeze tailpiece that LP designed), but then in 1953 there is was. No idea why.

16. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Once had a Peavy Wolfgang. Switch was North for bridge and South for neck. I guess that's how Eddie likes it.

17. ChubbyFingers

Hmmm. I think I will get a custom one too. Mine will say UP and DOWN and then put on the wrong way, um, up. ;-)

Mind you, I've always said if I ever got a tattoo I would have the word "Elbow" tattooed on my elbow and something else tattooed on my behind. That way, whenever someone said I don't know my ahem from my elbow, I could roll up my sleeve, drop my pants and prove them wrong :-)

18. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

It's just aesthetics of course. Maybe in the early 50s people needed it spelled out because they weren't as familiar with double pickup guitars.

Now something that would be useful is something that lists the settings for the five way rotary switch on my PRS. Massive tone differences on each position and you sort of have to guess which one you are on when you pick it up to play and if you want to change it mid song you can only spin and hope you end up where you wanted. But nope, nothing. But on my SG I have Rhythm and Treble. Go figure.

Dale likes this.
  19. ChubbyFingers

Perhaps that put Treble because they thought people would confuse Lead (leed) with Led (as in Zeppelin).

Same reason the name of the play The Madness if King George III (the third) became the movie The Madness of King George (no III) - the studios thought the punters would think it a sequel.