Seymour Duncan JB in SGJ

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by flowersc, May 8, 2014.

1. KoA

KoA Member

I've always thought the Tone Zone sounds like an interesting pickup. The descriptions make it sound pretty extreme though, and people are love-it-or-hate-it about it. I'd like to try one out some time.

2. flowersc

flowersc Member

Had the pickup almost two weeks now, and I will say that it is great, but in the SGJ it is certainly a punchy and mid-heavy pickup. I love it. In the Epiphone Goth G-400 it has the bass woof to it, but in the SGJ it doesn't. The bass is there, but it is focused and not as burly. I don't understand how it sounds so different though. Both guitars have maple necks and mahogany bodies. They both have the TOM bridge as well. Only difference is the Goth is 22 fret, and the SGJ is of course 24 fret.

3. CarpeDiemSG

CarpeDiemSG New Member

hi guys.. i have a epi G400 and i'd really like to put JAZZ/JB combo on my SG. but i also read a lot of forums that say that a JB isn't a good pair with a mahogany bodied guitar.. help me im confused!

4. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

And another... FC2, 88-93 USS Francis Hammond FF-1067 and USS Kirk FF-1087.

Dungarees and coveralls for me!

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Squid!!:laugh2:
    Yep..dungs and coveralls for me too..coveralls mostly underway..

6. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Insane. I have a 98 Gibson SG Special which I equipped with the proverbial SD Jazz/JB combo. Hey SD favorite combination and in what he plays that combo? On a Gibson SG Standard. Well I pulled the Jazz out and installed a 59 of the neck position. I did like the Jazz/JB combo, but the 59/JB is insanely versatile and produces a lot of classic tones out of my Marshalls. You can go wrong with either, but the Jazz/JB is like ice cream and the 59/JB is like a ice cream milk shake with the whip cream and the cherry on the top.

Attached Files:

7. Molly

Molly Active Member

As it happens, I've just got myself a JB for the bridge of my 2014 Special and a Phat Cat for the neck. The JB has been my pickup of choice in Les Pauls for over twenty years but I've never tried one in the SG.

All this said, last night I plugged in my SG Special and it actually sounds really good. Maybe a bit harsh? Hard to say really. In isolation it's fine. Wonder if I'd be changing pickups for the sake of it (save for the Phat Cat - love a P90 in the neck).

8. flowersc

flowersc Member

Anyone else go the JB route? After almost a year with this setup, I am still digging it, and also found this pickup to be very sensitive to adjustments made to the pickup screws.

9. guitarded

guitarded Member

IMO and in my experience I have found when selecting pickups you can't go against the natural tone of the guitar. You have to go with it. For example if you have a bright guitar and you put a pickup in it to suppress the brightness, you end up with no tone at all.

Westernrider likes this.
  10. Heavy Garden

Heavy Garden Well-Known Member

want to see and hear
    sounds interesting

11. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, but it is a pretty common mod with the Jackson guys. The Jazz/JB combo is frequently mentioned, but I wouldn't want the Jazz pickup in the neck to be too dark.

12. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

My JB is great in the bridge, lacks a bit of the clean sweetness of a 57 but it does heavy rock very well. Jazz in the neck is good too, more bite than any other neck pup I've tried so far but it still has plenty of bass.

smitty_p likes this.
  13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Thanks, very much. That is helpful.

14. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

I have two special faded SGs with different pickup combinations. One has the Jazz/JB combo in neck/bridge, and the other has a P90/Classic 57 Plus. I have changed pickup heights many times over the past couple of years, and they are now set up as I want them, at least for now. The two guitars have very different personalities, even though they are the same model (but from different years).

The Jazz/JB guitar has the cleaner sound. I sometimes use the Jazz in neck when acoustic-like sounds are needed. It has a clean and prominent bass. The JB is very different, being much brighter. It sounded less "tinny" than the original 490T in the bridge, though. The middle-position combination of the JB/Jazz is very useful on this guitar, since it matches the bass and treble sounds quite nicely.

The P90/Classic Plus pickups are louder and more midrange-focused. They have a bit more grit, certainly the P90 has more than the Jazz. The Classic Plus in the neck has enough output to (almost) match the P90, and this says a lot. Since both pickups are a bit midrange-focused, the middle position on the selector switch doesn't make as much of a difference on this guitar.

I suppose that my preferred neck pickup for most things is the Classic Plus over the JB, since it is better balanced. Still, I like the JB more than the 490T, and it has a style of its own.

15. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I have a friend with a JB/Jazz setup in a Les Paul Standard and that works very well. Not sure about them in an SG though.

Another friend in the same band has a Les Paul Studio with a Bare Knuckle Emerald pickup set. Comparing the bridge pickups the JB has more output and compression, the Emerald is more 'open', brighter and clearer. Just depends on what you want. The Studio needs a clean boost pedal to keep up with the Standard. They both play through Laney Lionheart 20W class-A tube amps

16. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

I have the jazz/jb in my white SG

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  17. Duffy

Duffy New Member

On W. Fork of the Susquehanna River in N. Cent. Pa

You might want to try replacing those GFS hb's with some Dimarzio SuperDistortion HB's. The SuperDistortions are light on the treble and strong on the mids and lows, and are hot but no ice pickiness. Just plain hot with lots of lower end eq and adequate highs. They are really awesome pickups and contrast enough against the JB's to make them great additions to your available sounds.