SG’s do not sound thin

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by TheSandman, May 17, 2020.

1. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I never thought it was you that said they were thin, my comment was directed to the people who believe and perpetuate the false myth ;)

Col Mustard and TheSandman like this.
  2. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

It all good, sir.

Col Mustard and WytchCrypt like this.
  3. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

:h5:

TheSandman likes this.
  4. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

5. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

I have an Epiphone SG. Never had a Gibson SG. Are they a big difference other than price?

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The answer to that is very personal and subjective, for example: Obviously one is currently made in America and the other in China. That's a difference, but to me it's insignificant, to others it may be such a big difference that nothing else matters.

Historically, you might expect Gibson had access to better materials, I'm not sure that's still true. Also, most people felt the Gibson headstock looked much better, but Epiphone recently changed design to something more Gibson-like. I think the gap is getting narrower in all areas except price.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to individual instruments and individual preferences. I suspect it's possible I'd find a particular Epiphone SG that's better than a particular Gibson SG (to me at least!). If I could/did, we can be sure the Epiphone would still be far cheaper. :)

TheSandman likes this.
  7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Having both, in my experience these are the differences: The pups on the Epi are a lottery, some good, some suck. The finishing of the Epi is also a lottery, sometimes you have to fix sharp fret ends. The body is sometimes a little thinner on an Epi and the bevels are mostly of the "there, that'll do" variety and not as pronounced as on the Gibson. Once I had frets on an Epi that wore down suspiciously fast. Tuners are mostly fine, especially if they're Grovers.

So, if you are prepared for the above, and prepared to fix it, the Epi is a kick @ss guitar and can be made to sound and play as good as anything else, including the Gibson.

8. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

:rofl:

TheSandman likes this.
  9. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

Thanks. I think my Epiphone SG is made in Korea. I had a setup done on it years later, and put new pickups in it. This fella said it’s the best sounding guitar I’ve got. I guess I’ve always wanted a Gibson, more for the name than the guitar.

10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

If it feels good, plays good, sounds good and looks good - it's good. Besides, chicks don't know the difference so what does it really matter...

WytchCrypt and TheSandman like this.
  11. Robert Nunn

Robert Nunn Member

SG's don't sound thin. Only different (if you are used to playing a Les Paul). SG's are decidedly more aggressive with more bite and maybe some mistake that for thin. I love the sound of both my SG and Les Paul for totally different uses.

12. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Same here, different tools for different jobs ;)

TheSandman and Robert Nunn like this.