SG 60s tribute lover and hi there!

ZannaSg

Reaction score
Hi good people,
I'm Zanna and I love SGs with slim neck profiles. I own two 2011 SG Special 60s Tribute: white and black.
Hope to find here lot of good advices, so I start asking:
I noticed (in other guitars too) that p90s sound ever louder in the neck position and thinner sound in the bridge. I swapped in my white one the bridge pup for a Filtertron plus p90 sized and I find it good, different but nice.
On the black one is actually stock but I'm not totally ok with it, it lacks some hi end... I dig p90 sound but I'm open minded about it. I'm So what you advice me:
- keep it stock and use the volume knobs.
- swap the bridge p90 for a old DP169 Virtual P90 (9,13k) that I never used.
- swap (actually I don't know how, I could charge my liuthier of that) the magnet in bridge stock p90 for a A5.

Thanks, and keep it up!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Hey welcome Zanna !

A P90 is very sensitive to its proximity to the strings. Pickup heigth if you want.

For my P90 guitars, I have a few ... actually, I don't have a humbucker equipped guitar, all P90 or P94 and a Strat.

I start by getting the bridge PU as close to the strings as I can. I then adjust the neck height so matches the bridge output and it sounds a little quacky when in middle position. You don't want or need the middle position to sound like the neck by itself, what a lot of people do. I like getting that almost Strat sound off the middle position. That takes a little fiddling with the neck height. But the brige P90s are almost always as high as possible.

Then you can strat messing around with left to right height adjustment, if the low strings are still a little too boomy on the neck.

ZannaSg

Reaction score
I'm gonna trim, I'll let you know and thanks, very clear!

flatrockmobile

Reaction score
Gibsons have the same p90 in both positions. Aftermarket sets usually have a reduced wind on the neck pickup to compensate.
I kinda like the Gibson method as I play a lot of rhythm stuff on the bridge p90, then flip to the neck p90 on 10 for some sweet, singing, sustaining lead tones.
If you want to get the most out of the p90s, replace the stock volume pots (300k linear) with 500k audio taper CTS or other quality pots. I did this on my faded DC LP.

eS.G.

Reaction score
welcome to the sickness...er insanity--- no wait -- I was right the first time..
What DR. said --- fiddle with the pickup height--- possibly a string change/type/style...change PICKS..... first exhaust the cheap easy things --- then go pup swappin ;)

And above all HAVE FUN!

ZannaSg

Reaction score
Gibsons have the same p90 in both positions. Aftermarket sets usually have a reduced wind on the neck pickup to compensate.
I kinda like the Gibson method as I play a lot of rhythm stuff on the bridge p90, then flip to the neck p90 on 10 for some sweet, singing, sustaining lead tones.
If you want to get the most out of the p90s, replace the stock volume pots (300k linear) with 500k audio taper CTS or other quality pots. I did this on my faded DC LP.

Uh, I was supposed stock pots were 500 k.
Anyway I trimmed pickups as useres teched me and I think I'm satisfied, I'm actually get used to the snappy tone of bridge p90.

Hi there to everyone for your warm welcome!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Once you are there and pickups seem to be well adjusted, now try to get that quacky (Strat) sound in middle position. Leave the bridge pickup at the height you like it and adjust neck pickup height, until there is a clear difference between neck and bridge. People will often have the neck too high, so middle sounds the same. It should not sound the same. When adjusting neck height, one turn on the height screw at a time is plenty.

Latest posts