SG: Ballsiest Guitar Ever?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jigman, Feb 22, 2005.

1. jigman

jigman Member

I have played guitar for 35 years and owned Les Pauls/Strats/Teles/ES-335's/BC Rich/Ibanez/PRS/. I believe the SG wins the following Categories:
    So far, my only complaint with the guitar is that it goes out of tune faster than I'm use to. But I think that is because the SG has a tendency to make me play with alot of energy I really bang her around - she begs for it.

1. Ballsiest
    2. Best neck speed & feel
    3. Most versatile
    4. Most comfortable to wear
    5. Coolest Looking
    6. Best Value for the $$$$

I can't believe it took me so many years to come around to it.
    Especially since Angus Young is one of my favorite players. Like the SG itself, Angus is a ballsy player with no nonsense chops that truly define rocknroll at its most expressive/energetic and sonic best. He can say more with one bent note than most shredders will say in a lifetime. Then don't even get me started on other favorite SG players - Derek Trucks/Duane Allman/Ed King (yes, I have a phot of ED playing an SG with Skynyrd Live in the 70's)/Gary Rossington/Mark Farner/Kim Thayill/.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

1. I disagree. My Guild S100 is far more ballsy, as are any of the solid body Guilds. I hate 'em but a Les Paul with hotter humbuckers are pretty ballsy too.

2. Right on, can't agree more

3. Nah. Not any less so than others, but neither is it moreso than any other tradtiional electric. One could argue that the Blueshawk was more versatile. One could argue that anything equipped with Varitone would be more versatile. The SG's versatile enough, without being overly complex (can you say Fender Jaguar?).

4. A nice lightweight Strat is pretty comfy too. But the SG certainly gives up no ground on light weight, thin body, and good fit.

5. No matey, this is the coolest looking:

[​IMG]

6. Total agreement on value (which always means "for the money")

3. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

CB,

(Spunky is blushing)
    I didn't know you cared so much!
    Get a good's nite sleepy last night?

:D

PS- Say high to the Furball :wink:

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I must have...

Throw that ballsy Les Paul to the BBQ pits!

There, better?

5. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

More "In Character".

LOL

6. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

7. lanman

lanman Member

Hey Jigman, I agree with you bro. Someone, like charlie, might disagree on a point-to-point basis (and the guy knows his sh*t)....but when you add it all up there's no question the SG is the guitar to have if you could only have one....especially if you limit the competition to mainstream guitars. Man, an SG with the horns and all of the macho hardware combos and that f'n red color.....there ain't nothing as pretty as an SG guitar. You know the only thing I don't like?....how could a guitar as elegant as the SG get such a suckwad name......"SG"......what the "f" is that? "Solid Guitar?".....wow, they must have spent days coming up with that one......"well I guess Les wants us to pull the name.....and I've gotta run to Chicago.....hell, I don't know....how about MS?.....you know Mahogany Slab?....Geeze, I don't know, you guys screw around with it and let me know. It needs to be changed by noon or our a$$ is toast!"

Jigman, Ed King had a 64 SG that he played the duel lead parts on with Allen Collins on Freebird when they played it live......so you know that's what he's playing in your photo. That's also the SG on the lead on "Am I losin".....he didn't use it that much. The guy has since turned into a total Strat/PRS guy.....he's even got a 59 Les Paul that he never plays....traitor!

8. jigman

jigman Member

Ed King - interesting in that he' was a westcoast guy with an Al Kooper connection and a reputed surf guitarist. How he was chosen for skynyrd is one of those freak deals that make you go hmmmm. The only non-southern dude in the band. Pure genius. Too bad he couldnt hang for the duration. But then again, if he had of, we woulda never got to hear steve gaines who was my favorite player in the band. Heres sumpin off topic but I cant help myself - It seems that the south is more gibson turf than the west coast. What is it with that? From Ed King to Jimi Hendrix (Strat) to dick dale etc all west coast strat players. Then, look at the south: Firebirds, SG's, LP's, ES-3's etc. The only reason Gaines ever played the strat was for contrast or to do Ed King's parts. Historically, my hypothesis is true but I wonder if it's true today? Maybe a poll should be taken - How many on this site are westcoast vs. south/south east. etc. Hmmmmm.

9. lanman

lanman Member

Ya Bro, I agree....Steve Gaines was a monster player....it was like he had his guitar plugged into Ben Franklin's kite! I mean the stuff he played on One More From the Road was like from outer-space compared to most players. The weird part is that his pre-skynyrd stuff....released after his death....is rather weak imo. I think VanZant, Collins and Rossington definitely brought out the best in him. I have been trying to find out what kind of gear he used.....the year of his strat & LP and Amp(s) etc. Let me know if you know.

I don't know what it is....but with the exception of my SRV Strat.....(that sounds like I'm playing a banjo with kite strings plugged directly into the Marshall compared to my Gibsons).....all I own or want to own are Gibson Guitars. The tone, set necks, brazilian Rosewood, Nitrocellulose Finish, Humbuckers, P-90's, Klusons, Lyre Vibatos and various shapes that are all works of art.....what else is there? When you consider the Les Paul, Firebird, SG, Flying V, all of the ES models, the J-45, Southern Jumbo, J-160e, Hummingbird, Dove.....all I can say is....who's your daddy Fender!

As far as the West Coast Fender connection....I live in LA....I don't know.....we also have a disproportionate amount of Gay people out here as well....go figure. Maybe it's the style of music (Jimi don't count). The south with the Blues, Southern Rock, ZZ Top etc.....all you really need is a token Strat here and there (Hughie Thomasson) and a wall of Marshalls and walla....the best music on earth. The Beach Boys & Strawberry Alarm Clock probably would have never made it without their rainbow strats and teles to frolic with.

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

I live in the midwest but when I bought my first SG I lived in Kingsport Tn. It seems pretty simple actually. Fenders are made near the left coast and Gibson in Tn.But there are no absolutes.That's like saying all southern people drive Fords and west coast people drive Chevies.

11. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

i really like the tone on my SRV strat ianman!! :D the only beef i have with it is it makes you work for every note!!! :evil:

12. lanman

lanman Member

Just kidding Skids. I love my Strat too. Great Neck and great tone. I play it through an overdrive pedal though...to get a little more power outta the Texas Specials. I have played several Fenders through Marshalls (Directly) and they just don't get the crunch that I am partial to with the Humbuckers or p-90s.

13. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

cool ianman.....i use a tubescreamer on mine alot too!!! :D

it sounds just fine thru the vox valvetronix without a pedal, i've tried it both ways and with that amp it really doesn't seem to need it as much...

14. jigman

jigman Member

i believe gaines used super reverbs in early days w/skynyrd and solo stuff.
    then later tapped into the peavey train a bit just to compete w/rossington/collins. By the way, collins was a major kick butt rocker too

15. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

I see you can around to your senses CB,,for a moment there I thought you lost for sure ! :lol:

16. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

yea CB....some things in life just have to stay the same!!! :D