SG Body Thickness question

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tweedrules, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Tweedrules

Tweedrules New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I apologize if this has been posted before. I searched the site but didn't find my answer. Sorry for the long build up.

I'm a guitar player for 35 years and have never owned a Gibson. I decided during the pandemic to sell some gear that was not using and buy some other stuff I've always wanted. Needless to say I bought three Gibsons. All from the Gibson Demo shop in Nashville.

A 2017 Les Paul Gold top Classic HP. 57 classics, shallow C neck, and coil taps. I know the forum's beef with the CPU boards as opposed to hand soldered pots but I think this guitar sounds great.

Which Brings me to my SG question.

I also purchased 2 SG's:
    A 2016 special limited run satin SG with p90's. Modern C neck which measures .810 and the first fret. Single volume a tone.
    A 2016 SG faded with 490R in the neck and a 498T in the bridge. According to the specs it's a slim taper neck but it gets pretty beefy around the 12th fret. Feels awesome, though.

Long build up I know but here it is. Both SG's were made on 2016 but the Special has a thicker body than the faded.

Is this common for SG'?
    Are they all differents body thicknesses?
    They have very different tonal qualities based on pickups but does the thickness make any additional difference?

Thanks for the help Forum.

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2016 SG Faded Specs

Pickups: 490R / 490T
    Neck Profile: Rounded
    1st Fret Thickness: 0.818"
    12th Fret Thickness: 0.963"

SG Faded did not have Slim Taper neck until 2017.

490R / 498T is used on SG Standard.

I've had about 18 different SG over the years that were from 1963-2016 and all of them had body thickness of approximately 1-3/8" if not mistaken.

Pictured below: 2004 SG Special

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. RW59

RW59 Member

How did you measure the thicknesses? Where did you measure them? How much different are they?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!
    Congratulations on getting three excellent guitars.
    To answer your question: NO it is not normal for SGs
    to be built with different body thicknesses.

Gibson standardized SG body thickness after buying themselves back from the Norlin Corporation in about 1985. It's normal for an SG to have a body thickness of
    35mm or 1.34 inches.

There have been special runs in the past that had more
    variations, so it's possible that the "Special Limited Run"
    SG special you bought had some different design features
    which are explained by the name.

But I doubt it. My guess is that if you measure your guitars carefully you'll find they are both very close to 35mm thick. Gibson guitars are cut out by CNC machines now, but still are finished with some amount of hand work, so there are some neck variations due to different
    guys working on them by hand. This has always been true, more so in the past.

Good wishes and good luck! May you make excellent
    music with your SGs and Les Paul.

5. Tweedrules

Tweedrules New Member

Thank you so much for the responses. I should have clarified.

First, on the SG faded the stock 490T was replaced with a 498T at the bridge position. Along with the robot tuners were replaced with Kluson Tuners. All done at the Gibson factory.

The body thickness is exactly the same on both guitars. The thing that differs is the thickness of the bass side horn. The top horn is thicker on the Special. Thinner on the faded.

See pictures attached.

The special measures .90
    The faded measures .67

Both at the tip of the horn.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

tumblr_meucnlncKA1ri6a38o1_400.gif

7. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

CONGRATULATIONS on ur NG's....I had one of the 2016 SG Special Faded's and that Guitar was what restored my faith in GIBSON as a brand, after Gibson's Min-e-tune and G-Farce fiasco's. That li'l MO-FO Faded was a Cannon even with the 490's.

I never thought to measure any of my SG's body thickness, no.... but they all seemed to be about the same except one: the 1979 SG 'The SG' Standard. I think the one I got in '82 was a Special ordered one back in the day's M2M type deal.... It was a weird one for sure, a TONE MONSTER ! It weighed just about 8.5 Lbs and was the heaviest SG I ever owned,played, touched..Volute, Harmonica Bridge ,Brass Nut,TP6 Tail-piece, Walnut Body, Ebony Fret-board, came w/2 Angel Wing PG's... one was on the Bass side Bout (I took it off ).it was called the BAT-MAN SG, said the owner..anyway It seemed to have a slightly thicker body, say 1 1/2"- 1 9/16" maybe ? it was not much but the extra weight had to come from somewhere.I've 4 or 5 SG's now in different places and next time i see each I am going to put a Luthier Caliber Gauge, or WTF its called, just to see if they are all the same. You piqued my interest on that one!

Thanks, Bro, and I hope you get to play the $#!T out of those bad-boys !

AWAK, SG's are B-B-B-B-Bad, BAD To The Bone !

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  8. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

Check out Gibson’s YouTube channel, specifically the series about building the guitars. You’ll see that they’re built by hand. That being said, there are going to be differences from one to the next. Watch the series and you’ll say to yourself, “ah, now I get it”. Here’s a link to episode 1...

9. RW59

RW59 Member

Every bevel varies a little due to hand work, but yes there are several general, overall bevel styles on different SG models.

All 2016 Specials will have the thicker horn tip than the 2016 Fadeds.

But they often change the bevel style, so some other year Special may have the narrow tip style like the 2016 Faded.

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Only the Faded HP were supposed to get the deeper bevels in 2016. It seems like his is a Faded T but it's very possible that Gibson made a mistake and gave his the deeper bevels anyway.

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

'61 body

SG Standard TBK 236.jpg

12. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

just checked 2 of my SG's both 1-3/8" @ Back of body near strap peg...+/- .002"

Last edited: May 9, 2021