SG build from bar top need electronic advice

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by RedG, Jul 11, 2021.

1. RedG

RedG New Member

I’ve built SG style guitar from scratch(the body) from an old bar top and I have these pick ups I bought which have an black earth wire, yellow/green & red conversion wire and a white live wire. (I’ll add pictures to show) I also have a les Paul solderless wiring harness. I’ve wired it with the conversion and live wire grouped together going to one screw clamp and the earth to the other, would this be the correct way to do this? I’ve built a sg style guitar from scratch but not too clued up on electronics, thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. RW59

RW59 Member

That's not correct.
    Black to ground is correct, white to volume pot input is correct.

But the white shouldn't have the other two wires connected to it. The red and yellow should be twisted together, soldered, and covered with tape or shrink tubing -- not connected to anything else. Same for the green and red -- connected just to each other, not to anything else.

The way you've got it, it's either putting the coils in parallel, or shutting off one coil in each pickup. (I think parallel, but I've never seen it done that way and it's twisting my brain around.)

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  4. RedG

RedG New Member

5. RedG

RedG New Member

thanks for you reply, even if the colours were different would that still mean to solder together and have the conversion wires hanging loose in the control panel cavity?

6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

pancake81 likes this.