SG Build w/Peter Green Pickup

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Chris Taylor, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor New Member

I am building an SG style kit and planned on using 50's style gibson wiring (braided shielded ground). I am able to get some 57 or 59 (still undecided) PAF clone PUPs from Planet Tone where I can get the neck magnet flipped, ala Peter Green. Is this all that is needed for the sound? Any special diagram to follow? was planning on standard 50's wiring with .022 orange drops, 500k cts pots. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. RW59

RW59 Member

No special wiring needed if the magnet is flipped.

But an SG can never give the exact Peter Green tone, because the pickup spacing/positioning is different than a Les Paul.

Planet Tone offers 4 conductor leads, you might consider that instead of having the magnet flipped. Flipped magnet locks you into out of phase -- if you don't love it you have to disassemble the pickup. With 4 conductors you can add a phase switch and have your choice of normal or out of phase, anytime you have the urge.

Purists say there's a difference (personally I don't hear it), but again an SG physically can't exactly replicate an out of phase LP.

Or consider both -- have the magnet flipped, with 4 conductors and a phase switch. Then you can get as close as possible to Peter's out of phase, or switch it to normal in-phase.

3. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor New Member

Trying to keep the wiring to a minimum as is not my strong suit (working on the outside of the guitar is a lot more fun). I have already heard sample of the out of phase pups in an SG and am pretty confident is the sound I want. Already have an LP build with coil splits. Just wanted to make sure was as simple as a magnet flip and sounds like it is. Thank you. If anyone else has relevent info or feedback please feel free to share.