SG choice due to a guitar hero?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by IommiSG, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Iommi for me. 8)

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

For me it was a guy you guys probably aren't too familiar with. Mick Abrahams, original guitarist for Jethro Tull, I saw him years ago at a place in Chicago called The Kinetic Playground, what was funny is that Tull was the second opening act for Vanilla Fudge, the first opening act was The New Yardbirds...a.k.a. Led Zeppelin. And I saw it all for $5.00 ;D

Here's a bit of Mick on his 63 SG. Damn! What tone!!!!!! :Droolin:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZBLghlpC8&feature=related[/youtube]

3. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17728.msg218711#msg218711 date=1219723089]
    For me it was a guy you guys probably aren't too familiar with. Mick Abrahams, original guitarist for Jethro Tull, I saw him years ago at a place in Chicago called The Kinetic Playground, what was funny is that Tull was the second opening act for Vanilla Fudge, the first opening act was The New Yardbirds...a.k.a. Led Zeppelin. And I saw it all for $5.00 ;D

Here's a bit of Mick on his 63 SG. Damn! What tone!!!!!! :Droolin:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZBLghlpC8&feature=related[/youtube]
    [/quote] Years ago!! You aren't kidding. Five bucks was alot of money in those days.I saw the Beatles in Sept. 64 for $4.50. Again alot of money.

4. cheeseisblue

cheeseisblue New Member

Representing the new generation of Guitar Hero's:

Jack Bakarat of All Time Low Fame

[​IMG]

and

Rory of Enter Shikari Fame

[​IMG]

5. Dettol666

Dettol666 Member

[​IMG]

Oh hell! Forgot about Zappa!

6. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Member

[quote author=theq4kman link=topic=17728.msg218540#msg218540 date=1219480531]
    my first SG was a 69 that i got from a teacher in 9th grade cool guy! he gave it to me and was my 1st real "teacher" from then on i couldnt put the SG down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]
    Wait...
    You got a 69 from your 9th grade teacher? That's just creepy... ;)

But seriously, when I first read the thread topic I immediately pictured this...
    [​IMG]

7. mcd

mcd Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are more...

8. Orang Goreng

Orang Goreng Member

9. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

10. entropydave

entropydave Member

Carlos...!

Woodstock!

Love he sound he gets!

btw hello everyone! missed you all, of course!

11. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Hey there dave. It's been a long time. I sent you to the shop for some cigarettes months ago and you come now and without any flowers?! ;D

12. Biggus Piggus

Biggus Piggus New Member

For me, Santana, Zappa and Iommi. Lucked into my SG, was the most I could afford, and it was underpriced because of cosmetic issues (and somebody had beaten the crap out of the back of the neck).

13. hookakat1

hookakat1 New Member

Angus and Iommi.

14. 3th3r

3th3r New Member

I don't have an SG now, but I have always liked the way they look, and I may getting a 61 or 62 RI soon.
    Currently, a guitar "hero" that I like a lot is Kyle Shutt of the Sword.

He started playing a Guild S-100...

[​IMG]

Then Moved on to a Gibson SG...

[​IMG]

But recently switched to a Silverburst LP

[​IMG]

15. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager (in the 80's) I saw the Monterey Pop and Woodstock films and that had a huge influence on me, mostly Townshend and Santana but check out Big Brother And The Holding Company at Monterey; THREE SGs including bass!!! I just loved their sound and had to have one. Cream-era Clapton and Zappa also had an impact on me not to mention a Hendrix bootleg that I had with Jimi playing his white SG with three pickups.

16. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=17728.msg219747#msg219747 date=1222043608]
    When I was a teenager (in the 80's) I saw the Monterey Pop and Woodstock films and that had a huge influence on me, mostly Townshend and Santana but check out Big Brother And The Holding Company at Monterey; THREE SGs including bass!!! I just loved their sound and had to have one. Cream-era Clapton and Zappa also had an impact on me not to mention a Hendrix bootleg that I had with Jimi playing his white SG with three pickups.
    [/quote]After having a totally crappy weekend, I want you to know that this post put a big smile on an old guys face. Thank You...

17. Kevy Nova

[quote author=John J link=topic=17728.msg219794#msg219794 date=1222095278]
    After having a totally crappy weekend, I want you to know that this post put a big smile on an old guys face. Thank You...
    [/quote]

And your post just made a 35 year-old smile. Thanks!

I have to admit, my parents were old hippies and listening to their albums growing up in the 80's was so much better than what was on the radio at the time!

18. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRaZ1ZghfQ

This is what influenced me to play the recorder! well not really

My influence for the SG was when I first seen one on gibson.com I was looking at their guitars and seen the SG I just started drooling and said "I gotta have one" after that I seen an AC/DC video (was a fan never saw the visual) I seen Angus with the SG and that made me want it even more and I don't like the feel of any other guitar nearly as much as an SG.

19. Kevy Nova

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=17728.msg219814#msg219814 date=1222121144]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRaZ1ZghfQ

This is what influenced me to play the recorder! well not really
    [/quote]

Wow, I have never even heard of this. I admit that I am not a huge AC/DC fan but this song was really interesting and I find it more musically challenging than AC/DC. No offense to AC/DC or their fans, I just find this more creative. AND it appears that Bon always played with SG guys, haha! I just love a band that is all SG, don't you?

20. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=17728.msg219815#msg219815 date=1222121798]
    Wow, I have never even heard of this. I admit that I am not a huge AC/DC fan but this song was really interesting and I find it more musically challenging than AC/DC. No offense to AC/DC or their fans, I just find this more creative. AND it appears that Bon always played with SG guys, haha! I just love a band that is all SG, don't you?
    [/quote]

Yeah that is why I posted it, I knew all the SG's in there would make somebody happy.

As for inspiring me to play guitar I leave it up to these guys, looks like they were released from an old folks home.

[​IMG]