SG Classic Custom - POLL: Should I paint it?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Jul 1, 2018.

?

Should I paint my Classic Custom?

1. Heck yes, make it how you want it

2. No, The Custom Classic is beautiful how it is.

3. No! You should never paint over a factory Custom

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

As many of you know, many of my guitar / SG purchases have been Angus inspired. Case and point, the SG Classic Custom, which strongly resembles the Black two pick up Custom that Angus used through the late 70’s and early 80’s. Some say it was used in part to record Back in Black album at Compass Point Studio in Bahamas.

All that aside, it’s just a bad ass guitar. So my question for you folks is: should I paint this guitar black someday to replicate that iconic ACDC axe, or just enjoy it how it is.

Guitar is currently in mint shape. Never left the house, plugged in and played in the home studio, cleaned, and out back in it’s case.

The guitar in question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Angus Custom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    arcticsg likes this.
  2. pancake81

Also, I just want to say, this is all Splitdiamonds fault. Posting those amazing photos of his black Custom with nickel hardware. God that’s hot

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

one answer you didn't include in your poll was this:

Don't paint your fine Gibson and destroy its value, sell it to someone who values it
    more than you do, and use the money to buy what you really want.
    Copies of Angus
    Young's guitars can be bought, because you're not the only one who wants one.

Simple as that. You've got something fine there, something valuable. If you mar the
    finish by painting over it, you turn a $1000 guitar into a $400 guitar. Don't do that.
    Turn it into money, you've kept it good so far, and preserved its value. Use the money you
    get from selling it and either buy an Angus copy or buy a bare body and build what you
    want, using all copies of what Angus actually used.

I know this because I learned it the hard way. I refinished my 1966 Fender Jazz Bass long ago
    because I thought the sixties sunburst looked out of date, and I liked the "Groovy Naturals" that
    Fender was selling in the '70s. So I stripped it, stained it and varnished it. Then I played that bass
    for actually decades. I finally decided to sell it last week. Turns out I might get as much as
    $3000 for it. But if I'd left its finish on, it might be worth $10,000 more than that, to the right buyer.

Painful lesson. I was a young man when I stripped the bass's Sunburst off, and I said to myself,
    I don't care, I'm doing it. And truly, it looked better without the sunburst. I did a good job with the
    varnish. At the time i did it, the bass was just an old bass. Nobody was worshipping them yet.
    And I played that baby from Tallahassee to Talkeetna, and from Rockland Maine to Santa Cruz.
    I'm selling it now because I'm likely to need the money later. And because I have a couple of other
    excellent basses now.

That's why you shouldn't destroy your guitar's value like that. Value it for what it is, and
    mod something else to be like one of Angus' guitars.

4. pancake81

Some good advice there Col.

Unfortunately my only option to replicate angus custom would be:

1) buy a three pick up custom like he did and pull the middle one out, and replace with a two pick up pick guard

2) have the Gibson custom shop make me one to spec

3) paint the classic custom

Option 3 is the most economical, but you are correct, it does remove the collectors value. On top of that, I do love the look of that antique cherry finish!

I will probably leave it as is. I do love her how she is.

I wonder what Bon83 ever did with his. He also talked about painting it one day

5. pancake81

Anyone have a ball park of what Gibson charges for a true custom make guitar?

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

talk to SG Lou, right here on this site. He can make what you
    want if you've got the do re mi, but maybe he can steer you
    to a more affordable way.

and there are sure to be other makers.

If you watch, you might see a three p'up custom come up
    at Stratosphere, and start there, and end up with something
    perfect.

https://stratosphereparts.com/bodies-with-necks/

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If the point is to emulate one of your heroes, who's to stop you. By all means, do it.

Personally, I don't think it's the best fate for that guitar.

8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I voted to let that bad boy be as it is! You have a beautiful SG right there. ;)

I like the Col's suggestion. Or just keep it the way it is and build another the way you want it :D

9. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I'm going to go the harsh love routine here.
    (1) If you wanted what Angus has, why didn't you buy one in the first place?!?!

(2) Taking a killer guitar, and making it look like your hero's, spending the extra cash refin, the re-setup, etc etc, is a dumb reason to buy the guitar in the first place.

(3) If it has the sound you want, who gives a rat's hairy buttocks what it looks like.

If I have missed something here, please add to the list.
    Seriously, if you love it the way it is, why change it?

Col Mustard likes this.
  10. pancake81

I appreciate your honesty Bad Penguin.

1) To be honest, short of placing a custom order with Gibson in 2007 this was the closest one could get. My other optio. Would have been a black custom, but removing the middle pick up, replacing the pick Gord and changing half the hardware to silver or gold.

2) well, I guess I am just one of those people that never grew up, lol. I think most of us can relate to that. I am sure all of us have bought (or wanted to buy) a specific guitar or color because of the influence of an artist. All that being said, I am not buying it for a wall hanger. I bought this model because it was a great player and sounded excellent.

3) If definitely is a great player, that’s why it’s still in the line up. Some of us do change things on guitars for esthetics. Take for example knobs, or pick guards, tuners etc. now paint is on the bigger spectrum of that, but same idea. Not many people changed a pick guard because the original wasn’t doing it’s job. But many people “upgrade” to thicker ply creamtone products.

Your not missing anything Bad Penguin. It’s just a straight forward question for fun on a forum for people who get together to discuss such matters

11. KLBI

KLBI Member

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a fixation on this particular guitar.

Honestly, I would avoid refinishing. So much value lost considering the rarity of that model, plus it looks really cool on it's own. I knew getting a close replica of Angus' Custom was not gonna be easy, so I bought a Ebony SG Standard and added a white guard and some witch hats. It looks kinda like Angus' guitar but it's still my own and not a copy.

PermissionToLand and pancake81 like this.
  12. pancake81

Looks great KLBI! Thanks for posting

13. pancake81

It reminds me of the SG celebrity series.

14. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

I would kill to buy yours. Metaphorically speaking.

Tom

15. 67King

67King Member

th
    Don't paint your fine Gibson and destroy its value, sell it to someone who values it
    more than you do, and use the money to buy what you really want.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm kind of curious to get your thought on this (not to derail). But if one is sentimentally attached to a guitar, but would like to change the finish, what would you think? I have a '90 Les Paul Studio, ebony. My first guitar. I would absolutely love a Gold Top, but I just can't justify it. I keep wondering how viable it would be to change mine, but I'd also like to add binding (if possible, may not be), and change the headstock veneer so that that Gibson script is the mother of pear stuff, rather than paint. The only odd thing is that it has a maple neck, and I can't recall having seen a clear back with mahogany body and maple neck.

OP - I'm with Colonel on this one. I think yours is just stunning. And it is YOURS. I'm not all caught up in celebrity. I think having something very similar, but not quite identical to your inspiration is cool, in that it both nods to the inspiration, yet is unique enough to make it yours. But if you are really, really hung up on looking like the Angus Young one, sell this beauty, and either build one from parts, or get one that you really want.

pancake81 likes this.
  16. pancake81

I'm kind of curious to get your thought on this (not to derail). But if one is sentimentally attached to a guitar, but would like to change the finish, what would you think? I have a '90 Les Paul Studio, ebony. My first guitar. I would absolutely love a Gold Top, but I just can't justify it. I keep wondering how viable it would be to change mine, but I'd also like to add binding (if possible, may not be), and change the headstock veneer so that that Gibson script is the mother of pear stuff, rather than paint. The only odd thing is that it has a maple neck, and I can't recall having seen a clear back with mahogany body and maple neck.

OP - I'm with Colonel on this one. I think yours is just stunning. And it is YOURS. I'm not all caught up in celebrity. I think having something very similar, but not quite identical to your inspiration is cool, in that it both nods to the inspiration, yet is unique enough to make it yours. But if you are really, really hung up on looking like the Angus Young one, sell this beauty, and either build one from parts, or get one that you really want.[/QUOTE]

That’s some sound advice 67. I have decided not to paint. It’s not so much that I am hung up on the celebrity, it’s more so I just think it’s a bad ass guitar!

As for your black LP, I say with the Features you want, your best off selling you current LP and buying the gold top. Or, saving up and buying

17. 67King

67King Member

[QUOTE="pancake81, post: 504731, member:]
    As for your black LP, I say with the Features you want, your best off selling you current LP and buying the gold top. Or, saving up and buying[/QUOTE]

Not going to sell it, one of my kids will inherit it. Like I said, it was my first guitar, and I'm attached to it. How I got my handle is my first car, a 67GTO, which I've had for 29 years.

pancake81 likes this.
  18. pancake81

Not going to sell it, one of my kids will inherit it. Like I said, it was my first guitar, and I'm attached to it. How I got my handle is my first car, a 67GTO, which I've had for 29 years.[/QUOTE]

We have the same approach. By what you love and hand it down to those you love

67King likes this.
  19. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

IMO....sell it and get another that fits what you want. You really hurt the value when it gets a re-fin.

Also IMO....the ebony looks way better. The cherry with gold hardware makes me want to throw up.

20. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

I like it the way it is, black is nice too. Not sure if it's worth the $$ to repaint it though, and it will probably affect the resale. If it was vintage I'd say no way. If it's a modern guitar do what makes you happy. People mod and relic guitars all the time.