SG Classic - Neck shape?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Roomrunner, May 24, 2021.

1. Roomrunner

Roomrunner New Member

I've always wanted a Classic. P90's are so awesome.
    But how would you describe the neck shape? I'm trying to avoid the slim taper that the newer P90 equipped SG Special has on offer.
    Also, does anyone have any issues with neck dive?
    Thanks!

2. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

IMG_0001 (3).JPG I've had three Classics. All were great, I still have one. The neck shape is very similar to my early 65 SG Special. It's definitely bigger than a slim taper, and wider than the later 60's models. it's probably one of the best necks I have, and I have a bunch of guitars. No neck dive on any of mine. Get one, you can't go wrong. I think the p90 Classics are one of the best guitars Gibson ever made...Good luck in your hunt..

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Classic.jpg DSCN0149.JPG DSCN0765.JPG
    Rounder and a bit thicker than my other SGs. great player!

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Classics are my favorite.
    I have two of them.

2004 Ebony
    Nut Width: 1.687"
    1st Fret Thickness: 0.845"
    12th Fret Thickness: 1.00"

2006 Cherry
    Nut Width: 1.687"
    1st Fret Thickness: 0.825"
    12th Fret Thickness: 0.975"

The necks are nice and rounded.

[​IMG]

pancake81 likes this.
  5. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude New Member

Oops. Learning the ins and outs of posting on a forum. This was supposed to be a question for Biddlin:

Wow, did you mod yours with a vibrola, gold tophats and change the poker chip and P90 covers? Or did you replace them with another set of P90s? I thought these came standard with stopbar tailpiece.

6. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude New Member

Very cool, cerebral gasket. I was wondering if there were any ebonies out there. The ones I've seen on Reverb have all been the cherry finish. Mine's an '08. Love it to death.

7. Roomrunner

Roomrunner New Member

Thanks for the input and advice. I'm definitely keeping my eyes and ears open for the right deal.

8. Biddlin

brokenheadstockdetail.jpg
    Yes. When I got it it was not in playable condition. I did the necessary repairs to the headstock, installed the Maestro, and swapped in a roller bridge. Someone else had done the rest of the mods. Total investment, including used Gibson Maestro was less than $400.

9. cerebral gasket

1999-2000 they produced a run of Translucent Ebony. The solid color ebony are very rare and I think were produced as an exclusive run for overseas. I found mine in Japan.

10. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

The Slim-Taper necks on the Angel-Wing equipped 'SG' Standards are only .030" inches slimmer than the current Bat-Wing equipped 'SG' Standards.810"-.870" compared to .810-.900. (you can find thicker, say, .820"-.970"/1"+, but current models is what I refer to.)....players are talking thousandths of an inch over the length of the neck....I have both 'SG' Standard neck types and wanted the thicker neck profile due to binding wrinkles when closing the relief past .005" on the Angel-Wing 'SG' Standards, specifically the treble side...and..... TTYTT, the difference on the Bat-Wing equipped Medium 'C' profile neck does not make much of a difference when I'm playing it, its practically unnoticeable. FWR, I always preferred the Angel-Wing design (the original), and after having a few Bat-Wings, still prefer the Angel Wing. BUT MNM, BOTH ARE GREAT GUITARS THO...

An Angel-Wing 'SG' Standard w/.820"-.970" Neck Profile, and for a total Triumph, throw in an ebony fret-board, that is now the 'SG' I am waiting for GIBSON USA line to produce...might be a long(er) wait.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  11. cerebral gasket

It's not just the 1st and 12th fret thickness, but the amount of shoulder that makes a difference in how two different necks feel in comparison with each other.

Roomrunner and Go Nigel Go like this.
  12. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

IDK if I know what you mean by 'Shoulder' but I understand that the measurements at 1st & 12TH frets are not the only thing involved in how a neck feels in ones own hands.
    The 2020 SG Standard w/Bat-Wing has,IIRC, the Medium C and the one I know is barely noticeable as far as neck profiles go, compared to the Slim-Taper on a 2019 SG Standard Angel-Wing...if someone told me they're both Medium C profile necks I would prolly not disagree as both are fast players and Love 'em both.
    IDK if its just me or do Slim-Taper necks vary in thickness from model to model? A Firebird w/Slim-Taper neck I have feels sooo much thinner than the Slim-Taper that is on a '17 Les Paul Standard..I didnt measure.......IDK, maybe stop smoking sooo much....LOL !

Roomrunner likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

By shoulder, I'm referring to the side of the neck below the neck binding and down to the backside of the neck. How much radius in that section of the neck makes a big difference how a neck feels to me.

Roomrunner likes this.
  14. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Now that you mention it, thats the dealio w/FIREBIRD, its not the thickness but rather its not rounded enough, feels flat...good point ! TNX.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  15. Roomrunner

Roomrunner New Member

Right. I prefer the rounded shape. I'm primarily a rhythm player, so I like the neck to fill my hand. The flatter, D-shaped necks feel awkward to me, as if something's missing. If I did more soloing stuff the flat back would be speedy. But alas, I am not that player.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Bro, I/we seem to be in the same boat.....Rhythm playing is my stronger suit.
    I ask, if you would mind telling me, how or at what height you set your 'SG's pickups and, more importantly, the pole-piece heights on your 'SG'(s)? I'M sure you know Explorer's, Lester's etc etc do not have slanted P-up's and are a breeze to adjust, not so with one particularly difficult 'SG' Standard I have.

Do you set the height in the middle of the top surface of the 'SG's p-up and adjust the pole-pieces from there, so as to make the strings the same volume?(that resulted in bad harmonics, strings too close, for the 'SG' I refer to here). So, I finally just set the high point of the 'SG' Pick-Up (while fretting the 22nd Fret) to the same spec as the high point on my Explorer Neck P-Up and copied the spacing of the pole pieces, and it worked really well, and this particular 'SG' Standard is now one of my better sounding USA Line Gibson's.....

The are a lot of different ways to do the same thing when it comes to guitars. What I have been doing is time consuming and kinda aggravating (OMG !) so I figure if you know a better way...I am all ears !

17. Roomrunner

Roomrunner New Member

In general, for any guitar, I fret the E strings at the last fret. Measure the distance between the bottom of the string to the top of the pickup. Treble side 2/32, Bass side 2.5/32. I don't stagger pole pieces. I make them evenly flush with the cover. Like you say, there are a lot of ways to do it. It just depends on your preference and ear. My playing isn't articulate enough to dicern pole-piece height differences. But these measurements work for my purposes.

18. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    2.5/32" Jethro? How about 5/64"?

pancake81 likes this.
  19. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Proper fractions are appreciated

20. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Nice one !

Last edited: May 29, 2021