SG Classic - Neck shape?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Roomrunner, May 24, 2021.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

I have a 2002 Faded, with moon inlays and a very round baseball bat neck. I absolutely LOATHE it. Some of you may have heard me talking about my love/hate relationship with this thing, as I have been much more aligned with my Epi G310, that has a almost ebony-like fretboard and a thin and narrow neck. Well, I did it, I drank a hell of a lot of coffee last week, finally got tired of bummin' on this fat neck. Grabbed it, and the electric sander and some blocks/sponge with sandpaper. In 60 minutes I GENTLY took that neck down from a bat, to something resembling my Epi G310 neck. It's not a 'shredder' Ibanez, but right in between. I absolutely LOVE it. I can't stop playing it now. So many years with an unnecessarily uncomfortable neck. I now have a new guitar. So, for anyone that has thought of doing this, it isn't difficult. You have to go at it slowly– constantly checking the width. I kept the strings on it during the process, playing it every 20 seconds. Around the 13 fret and lower I made it slightly triangular instead of round. I didn't want to take too much off and affect the stability of the neck. It is perfect now. I'm so happy with my new-ish SG!! I assume this will aleviate, a tiny bit, the slight amount of neck dive that it had too!!
    Question. How do I go about sanding up to the black veneer that is on the headstock without chipping or damaging it? (see photo with an arrow).
    Oh, BTW, the guitar will eventually be stripped and refinished in Green.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The headstock overlay is just thin fiber board, not ebony veneer.

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

Okay. So I'll got at the sanding softly so as not to chip it off. I've never refinished a guitar before, only furniture, so this will be an adventure! thanks.

4. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

YO C.B., Just waiting on the Rings I ordered...MAYBE, LMK if you actually think the smaller springs are a better idea ? I have extra sets of Long & Short Springs as at least one always goes flying to a part of the room where I will never find it (at least, not while I am looking for it!) whenever I change a pickup. Gotta have a spare ready....

In the 'Maybe this is interesting, Maybe not..' Dept.: I got a '17 'SG' Standard w/Locking Grovers,'57's and a Hard Shell Case in March 2017 for $1299 NEW.... and I put the '20 'SG' Standard for $1500 up against it in a shoot-out yesterday, same songs , same amp settings, same everything, just swap axes....the 2017 'SG' Standard just blows the strings off of the 2020 SG Standard...and its not that the 2020 is a bad Guitar, the 2017 Standard is just a much better Guitar, 1.5 Lbs heavier, '57's make a big difference.....etc etc.....Putting '61's in the 2020 When the ring arrives, see if it helps give it some UUMMMPPFFFF...Clarity...etc....IDK if GIBSON is even putting '57's in any guitars Stock right now, but they are selling a lot of 'em....

5. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

YO CEREBRAL, It took a week to get the Mounting Rings but I got em, and installed the Bridge Ring just as we discussed. I used short springs and only had one go flying to parts unknown !
    However, IDK WTF I may have done wrong but the angle of the strings to the pickup is unchanged....and of course I can’t upload a fuckin picture, FFS ! WOW ! OMG PISS ME OFF THIS WEBSITE !!
    It was not a total loss as I wanted to remove the stock 490’s and I put in a set of covered ‘61 Zebras, not much of an improvement but the '61's seem to have a slight bit more clarity.
    Any idea why the angle remained the same ? The ring is after-market but is the exact same size as a ring I took off an Angel-Wing SPECIAL, same size so I do not think its the ring, but what else could it be? Wrong springs? so **** IF I KNO....
    I will keep tryin to post the pics, IRDFBI !!! Not getting it right and then not being able to put up the pics even when using an I-Phone , OMG !

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Reduce the size of the photos prior to uploading. Max file size is around 1MB if not mistaken.

7. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

TNX BRO, I really do appreciate your effort. I took the ring off and put it and the other one (I had to buy a set) on a 2015 SG Special that I just put a Black/White/B/W/B Pick-guard on...it was screaming for Black Rings so the rings went to good use anyways !The PG and Rings were not GIBSON products and needed to be filed a bit, but the 'SG' Special came out lookin real good ! BAD-A$$ in fact !! BTW, I could not get pics uploaded, FFS !
    I will try again as soon as GIBSON's website gets the Mounting Rings back in stock. I actually think it was the rings, they were a slight bit taller, not exact matches.....or maybe it was the shorter springs?
    IDK why on either score..... BUT, Next time I will use Stock Rings, Stock Springs and hopefully get better results......it will not be long, just need GIBSON to re-stock the rings......which, NTITAI, could be a while w/frikkin PAN/SCAM-DEMIC !!!
    I see you were able to do it, so I kno its do-able...I gave it my best shot on that day, but just came up a bit short, literally, is all......it may take a while BUT, MNM, IT WILL GET DONE !!!TNX AGAIN CB, YOU ROCK !!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Looks like Sweetwater has the Gibson bridge pup ring in stock for $7.99

9. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Yes, I saw the same thing on Guitar Center dot com and I ordered one just yesterday....So when it arrives I will give this another shot. I have the longer springs ready to go !
    I'm swappin out some P-Up's at the same time when this ring arrives, get everything done at one shot.
    Looks pretty cut and dry, just do what I did, same as last time, just use a Gibson Ring and Stock/longer screws ,yes?

10. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Yo C.B., I just got the 'GIBSON' genuine Part Mounting Ring today and will try doing the relevelling of the Bridge Pickup again this weekend. I will LYK how it works out.......ICB I have been able to upload a picture, FINALLY , FFS !!! IMG_3244 2 copy.jpg

This is the Guitar, incredibly lightweight, 'ANGUS', weighs in @ barely 6Lbs. on the dot...I put '61R/T Burst-Bucker Pickup's in it (after I put chrome covers on them and took out the 490 R&T's) and plan on putting a '57 Classic in the Bridge Pickup position with the new Mounting Ring. The heavier sounding A5 Magnet '61 and the articulation of the '57 Classic should have the Middle Toggle position sounding pretty BAD-ASS !!! I'm hopin so anyway ! This is kinda the new #1 everyday Beater and Imma close to havin it the way I want ! I'm going to use the longer springs this time and not do any filing on the back of the mounting ring......only unless its absolutely necessary.

It should work, I copied the way you did it, and I will do it that way EXACTLY again.

11. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Yo Cerebral Gasket...it took a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I was finally able to get around to putting the Mounting Ring on the Bridge Pickup of the Batwing SG Standard I just bought. Imma really glad I took out the STOCK 490R&T's, IMO they just suck compared to even the '61 Burstbuckers. So I put a '61R BurstBucker in the Neck Position and a '57 Classic in the Bridge position so now the Guitar sounds pretty BAD-A$$, IMO !!! IMG_3497 copy.jpg

I did not drill the holes thru the Batwing yet as I am not certain its going to stay this way...Waiting to see if the way the P-Up sits is better like this, I have yet to set the pole-piece height etc...I have yet to really even set the axe up since I made the switch but wanted to post a picture asap as I am only as good as my word when it comes to stating I am going to do something....

Once again thanks for the advice, Top-Notch of you it was !

The pic that is posted here had to be 'Optimized' (or some $#!T like that) to be able to post...and it looks like that by removing pixels, the process ends up making the picture 4-5X's the size it would have been had I just been able to upload the file like a normal type upload. IDK how its gonna look but this website would only accept the file after 47% of the pixels were removed.....

cerebral gasket likes this.