SG Custom 3 pickup switch

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by joshua kaplan, Jul 12, 2020.

1. joshua kaplan

joshua kaplan New Member

Is anyone geeky enough to have a graphic of the pickup switch in a 70's SG Custom with 3 pickups ?

Not a picture, but the kind of symbol you would find in an electronic schematic.

My switch has six wires connected to it, and 5 blades which make/break contact as the selector is toggled. I don't know if this is an SPDT/DPDT/?P?T kind of switch, which would make it easier to describe in a schematic.

Any ideas ?

2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

solid.gif
    No idea why it comes out so dark, but here you go. Enlarging it will help you see it.

3. joshua kaplan

joshua kaplan New Member

thank you so very much

4. LindSky

LindSky New Member

It's a transparent GIF image and the forum's backgroud is blackish so it shows through.

I saved it to jpg :)

solid2.jpg

5. Rasher

Rasher New Member

Hmmm. I am completely incompetent with circuit diagrams, so can I ask: does this mean the centre position has the middle and bridge out of phase? I have a 61 Custom which is not OOP, but I think it may have been re-wired. A friend had a '58 LP custom which WAS OOP in the centre position.

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

No, not out of phase at all. It just sounds that way, due to the closeness of the coils, or some crap like that.

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

If your interest comes from a desire to wire a 3-pickup guitar I can recommend wiring it as a regular 2-pickup with the middle on a separate volume. That way you can chose any pickup combo you like as well as use the switch as a kill switch.