sg custom 3H serie/parallel

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by nicolas13, Oct 30, 2019.

1. nicolas13

nicolas13 Member

I apologize in advance for my English.
    I have a sg custom with 3 humbuckers, and I changed the two potentiometers for the tone with two push / pull. which give me together with 3-way switch all the 7 possible combinations.
    now I want to have the possibility to choose between series / parallel for each humbucker, and since I understood it I need 3 push / pull.
    I only have 2 pot. available for the volume.
    therefore the modification excludes one of the three HB.
    (and I don't want to open holes in the guitar).

according to you for which of the three it makes sense to leave it in serie and bring the series / parallel changes to the other two ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Wiring a humbucker in parallel will make it sound a bit brighter, and bridge pickups are already quite bright, so I say leave that one out.

nicolas13 likes this.
  3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Surely the neck, the other one to taste. If it were me, though, I'd probably do 3 volumes (which, with the regular three-way would give a lot of combations, fading in the middle pickup when wanted) and then a master tone push-pull with a master series-parallell

nicolas13 and Biddlin like this.
  4. nicolas13

nicolas13 Member

thanks for the answers.
    I also thought for sure the neck humbucker, I was undecided whether to change the middle or the bridge.
    maybe plankton is right and so I'll try the middle.
    I had tried the configuration with three volumes and one tone. but it was not exactly what I wanted, so I opted for the choice of having separate volume and tone for each humbucker, especially in position (neck / bridge) (neck / middle)

bwotw likes this.
  5. nicolas13

nicolas13 Member

I finally managed to make all the changes. and since most of the information I got from you, I think it's fair to share. the problem is that I am not a technician to write the drawing correctly. (I used a program ("diylc"). I hope it's understandable.
    maybe it will be useful for someone who has a guitar with a similar configuration

all combinations are
    neck (vol/tone)
    middle-bridge (vol/tone)
    bridge (vol/tone)
    neck (vol/tone) + middle-bridge (vol/tone)
    neck (vol/tone) + bridge (vol/tone)
    middle (vol/tone)
    neck (vol/tone) + middle (vol/tone)
    plus all combinations with (neck in parallel) or the (middle in parallel) or both

there is still the possibility of grounding the signal from the bridge. and use it as a killswitch.
    and in this situation. if opening the neck, I can use all the volume and tone only for the neck. (2vol / 2tone).
    these two were not foreseen in my project, but they are there. and maybe someone could be pleased to have them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    bwotw likes this.