SG Custom '61

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Moose, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I'm nearly convinced I need a white custom '61 SG/Le Paul reissue - you know the spec:

• [li]Ebony Board[/li]
      [li]Pearl block markers[/li]
      [li]Gold plating[/li]
      [li]3 x '57s[/li]
    So what is the general impression of these guitars and to Maestro or Stop bar?

2. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

STOP BAR!!! the maestro just screws up tuneing it does look cool but id rather play then mess with the tuneing!

3. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

Maestro looks great, but in the end the stop bar is wiser IMO. The Maestro will sound a little rounder and softer with less sustain. The stop tail will be punchier and have more sustain. Regardless of what the Maestro lovers will claim, they do not stay in tune like a stop tail does.

I recently did surgery on my historic to add a stop tail and lose the Maestro. While it looks ugly, it's much better now and has quickly become my #1 since.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

4. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

I think the tonal difference is minimal at best and in practice un-noticeable. Too much bull talked about things like the number of windings on a pickup and the guitar having been assembled by the right person in the factory and how these affect the tone (See other topics about "Mojo" and "Vibe"). A Type 1 SG Custom or Standard without a Vibrola is NAKED! And who use them for wild pitch bends? I've experienced no problems with Vibrolas causing tuning problems on the three guitars that have them fitted. :)

5. Yori Halford

Yori Halford Member

I have three SGs, an explorer and a Vee with Vibrola. They don't have any problems so far. My '62 custom has a "sideway" vibrola and no tuning problem at all. I don't use trem often so if you use for a big bend, that's something else...

6. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

7. TNT

TNT Active Member

[quote author=q-4000-SG Guy link=topic=17440.msg216450#msg216450 date=1216434865]
    STOP BAR!!! the maestro just screws up tuneing it does look cool but id rather play then mess with the tuneing!
    [/quote]
    Q-4000-SG Guy in 5th grade: "Aw mom, the homework messes with my playtime, it isn't cool and I'd rather play than mess with spelling!"

8. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=17440.msg216497#msg216497 date=1216490156]
    Q-4000-SG Guy in 5th grade: "Aw mom, the homework messes with my playtime, it isn't cool and I'd rather play than mess with spelling!"
    [/quote]
    :whip2: :rofl:

9. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

[quote author=javamagic link=topic=17440.msg216479#msg216479 date=1216466870]
    I think the tonal difference is minimal at best and in practice un-noticeable.
    [/quote]
    I'm no tone snob, and based on the experiment I just explained above with my own SG converted from trem to stop tail, there is a noticeable difference. I've spoken with Elliott Easton (on forums) about this very thing and he too feels there is a difference and his preference for the tone of the trem (even though he really doesn't use the trem) is the reason he chose it to go on his sig SG.

10. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Re: SG Custom

Well it seems to take me a long time to get underway but I've ordered my a white VOS SG Custom with Maestro.

I have two SG 61s'(one with and one without Vibrola). I don't notice much difference in tone and I like using the tremolo for the slight warble it gives.

I'm going to wait until I hear the standard setup but am already thinking of rewiring so that I can use the neck volume and tone stack in the middle position (i.e. separate controls for the middle pup when in the middle position) as per the diagram below.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the existing Custom wiring or my planned mod to replace the PUP selector with a switchcraft DPDT switch

[​IMG]

11. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

The SG Custom arrived today. It's looks so cool but there are some things irking me already:

1. The vibrola arm doesn't fit well in the Custom Case, in fact it fits much nicer in my old SG "cal girl" case.
    2. The vibrola hardly works at all and sends the guitar way out of tune. Not like my 2001 '61 with Vibrola which is as stable as a stop bar.
    3. Not sure I like the the middle selector position sound.
    4. The guitar is much brighter than a standard on all PUP settings. Don't understand why. Maybe the ebony board. Maybe the different electrics.

[​IMG]

12. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

Don't want to sound like a smart a**....but where did you get it, and can you send it back? If you had played, you wouldn't have bought it, and whoever sold it to you should have played it and corrected these problems (Vibrola) before it shipped.

13. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

It sure is pretty, Moose. Does it have the 500K pots? Maybe that is what is making it so bright sounding.

A cream 3 pick up 61 custom RI is on my short list. I almost bought one about 10 years or so ago for $1000. Looking back, that would have been a good buy.

14. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

15. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=17440.msg244187#msg244187 date=1262735636]
    I've keep returning to look at this, any opinions on value and anything else appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/epicustom
    [/quote]

Find out the serial number.

16. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=njpaulc link=topic=17440.msg244130#msg244130 date=1262700384]
    Don't want to sound like a smart a**....but where did you get it, and can you send it back? If you had played, you wouldn't have bought it, and whoever sold it to you should have played it and corrected these problems (Vibrola) before it shipped.
    [/quote]

I've told the shop I'm not happy and may not go through with the deal. I'm taking it back to see if they can adjust the action. I'd like to keep it but will wait until I see if they can fix it up.

[quote author=mdubya link=topic=17440.msg244141#msg244141 date=1262709214]
    It sure is pretty, Moose. Does it have the 500K pots? Maybe that is what is making it so bright sounding.

A cream 3 pick up 61 custom RI is on my short list. I almost bought one about 10 years or so ago for $1000. Looking back, that would have been a good buy. [/quote]
    It's real pretty and I desperately want to keep it but I'll just see if they can get it to stay in tune first.

The Custom has different wiring, I'm thinking this is the source of the bright sound.

On the positive side it's a little bit heavier that a regular standard (8 lbs), with the extra pickup and Maestro so there is no neck diving.

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

It looks to me like the string retaining "comb" on the Vibrola is at a bit of an angle. Is it located properly on the spring? :?
    Nice looking guitar though. O0

18. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=javamagic link=topic=17440.msg244359#msg244359 date=1262963458]
    It looks to me like the string retaining "comb" on the Vibrola is at a bit of an angle. Is it located properly on the spring? :?
    Nice looking guitar though. O0
    [/quote]

Thanks javamagic. There is something wrong with th vibrola. It's been forced flat with the body. Wouldn't work and the increased break angel over the bridge caused higher string tension and more treble.

I've returned the guitar and am waiting for a replacement.

19. yell03

yell03 Member

The 61 RI definitely is a brighter sounding SG, in fact it almost gets in to Strat territory on the middle pick-up selector switch.

I have a love/hate relationship with this guitar, mine is a 2001.

It is very comfortable & has the fastest neck I've ever played but then sometimes I think about selling it?

I had a guy all set to paypal me $1549 and I backed out at the last second.

What else could you buy for $1549 nearly this good?

Here is mine next to my SG Std VOS:

[​IMG]

20. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=yell03 link=topic=17440.msg246257#msg246257 date=1266175940]
    The 61 RI definitely is a brighter sounding SG, in fact it almost gets in to Strat territory on the middle pick-up selector switch.

I have a love/hate relationship with this guitar, mine is a 2001.

It is very comfortable & has the fastest neck I've ever played but then sometimes I think about selling it?

I had a guy all set to paypal me $1549 and I backed out at the last second.

What else could you buy for $1549 nearly this good?

Here is mine next to my SG Std VOS:
    [/quote]

Is it me or is a White Beauty the sexiest guitar around?

Sounds like SG Custom are just brighter than regular SG. Good. I've got a classic with P-90s and two '61 re-issues (one with a '57 + in the bridge). So a Custom with a different sound would fit right in with the pack. Vive la différence.

I'm thinking that eq. the amp to play off the middle position and switch to bass or treble for lead.

Beautiful guitar Yello3 and thanks for the info.

p.s. SG Custom's are pretty thin on the ground and expensive in Oz. The first one was shipped from Melbourne to about 600 miles.
    The replacement is being shipped from the states and is still a month away. :cry: