SG Custom '61

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Moose, Jul 18, 2008.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

We are spoiled in the USA with stuff being a week to two away, but all good things come in time.
    I bought my SG Custom used, actually I traded a Brand New Les Paul Traditional Plus for it.
    It has seen its share of battles, but it still plays and sounds great.
    Try to keep yours looking pretty.
    MOJO is overrated....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, overall it is still pretty:

[​IMG]

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

very cool looking guitar for sure but you did the absolute right thing sending it back. Maybe if more folks did that when a guitar wasn't functioning properly, the shops would do a better job of inspecting and setting up their guitars.

I hope the replacement is a better guitar. I remember a few years ago I ordered a gibson from musicians friend because it was a really great price on a guitar I had been lusting after. Had to send not one but two of them back due to issues. Third one was a good one though so if the replacement they send you isn't right, send it back again! Especially in these economic times, someone spends their hard earned money it darned better be right.

3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=yell03 link=topic=17440.msg246301#msg246301 date=1266236057]
    We are spoiled in the USA with stuff being a week to two away, but all good things come in time.
    I bought my SG Custom used, actually I traded a Brand New Les Paul Traditional Plus for it.
    It has seen its share of battles, but it still plays and sounds great.
    Try to keep yours looking pretty.
    MOJO is overrated....
    [/quote]

You certainly are spoiled in the states. So many guitar / amp options and great prices. I've never even seen an original Bassman in OZ. :cry:

If it were not for the deal I got on this order, I would probably buy 2nd hand from the states.

One of the reasons I'm going for the VOS guitars is that I don't want to worry to much about polishing the guitar or gigging. So I've no problem with Mojo. The Yell03 Custom is beautiful.

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17440.msg246306#msg246306 date=1266244678]
    very cool looking guitar for sure but you did the absolute right thing sending it back. Maybe if more folks did that when a guitar wasn't functioning properly, the shops would do a better job of inspecting and setting up their guitars.

I hope the replacement is a better guitar. I remember a few years ago I ordered a gibson from musicians friend because it was a really great price on a guitar I had been lusting after. Had to send not one but two of them back due to issues. Third one was a good one though so if the replacement they send you isn't right, send it back again! Especially in these economic times, someone spends their hard earned money it darned better be right.
    [/quote]

The White Beauty has all the features of the Black Beauty (too heavy) with Penguin / White Falcon theme but wrapped around an SG.

It's the first guitar I've sent back. The dealer really went into bat for me. Gibson wanted to repair it. Dealer said not good enough. Dealer wins!

4. zepsg61

zepsg61 New Member

That is a beautiful guitar, but it is disappointing to see what Gibson is producing. I had an experience similar to oldrockfan's with a Gibson V. I sent mine back, but did not ask for a replacement. Good luck with the next one.

5. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

zepsg1: You have to remember, Gibsons are largely hand made, and because of that, consistency is hard to control unlike Epiphones which roll off an assembly line lined with robots.

6. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=17440.msg246398#msg246398 date=1266386290]
    zepsg1: You have to remember, Gibsons are largely hand made, and because of that, consistency is hard to control unlike Epiphones which roll off an assembly line lined with robots.
    [/quote]

which parts are done by robots?

7. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

I couldn't tell you everything as I've never been in a Chinese Epiphone factory but I know they're painted by robots and the PUPs sure aren't hand wound. I'm sure there are lots of other things done robotically but I couldn't say for sure what.

8. zepsg61

zepsg61 New Member

Moose, did you get another Custom '61 yet?

9. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=zepsg61 link=topic=17440.msg246925#msg246925 date=1267545744]
    Moose, did you get another Custom '61 yet?
    [/quote]

I just talked to the dealer. It wasn't in last months shipment.

So I am probably won't see it until the end of March. :cry:

10. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Apparently my Gibson SG Custom has arrived.

The dealer rang up to say she wasn't sure where it was but thinks it is now a film star.

Check out the second ad -> http://www.bonds.com.au/#/latestAds

11. TNT

TNT Active Member

If that wasn't it I'd lie and say it was. :coolsmiley:

12. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

The eagle has landed. It took four months bit the replacement is absolutely brilliant. :D

Light weight 7.3 lbs. Fantastic tone (not like a standard at all) even the middle position sounds great. Wife didn't kill me. All good!

Photos soon.

13. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=Moose link=topic=17440.msg248141#msg248141 date=1271939065]
    The eagle has landed. It took four months bit the replacement is absolutely brilliant. :D

Light weight 7.3 lbs. Fantastic tone (not like a standard at all) even the middle position sounds great. Wife didn't kill me. All good!

Photos soon.
    [/quote]

O0

<popcorn>

14. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I had lowered expectations for the SG Custom sound based on the previous guitar I returned.

This 2009 one is really well made and sounds great. This guitar seems to have picked up some of the 2009 Les Paul parts including the coarse knurled control selector switch nut and the wire-less ABR-1 bridge.

One of the lightest SG I've ever played at 7.3 lbs and second only to my SG Classic. The body must be real light cause 3 pickups and the vibrola add quite a bit of weight. Of course, this weight in the body counterbalances the neck and there is none of the usual SG neck diving.

Despite the "Bumblebee Equipped" tag this guitar, like original SG Customs is fitted with a regular ceramic cap. I don't know whether to replace or not.

However, I'm really impressed. Even the middle position sounds great. This guitar sounds much better than the one I returned. Yes it's bright and aggressive but also alive with a slight resonant/hollow sound. (I don't know whether the light weight contributes)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. zepsg61

zepsg61 New Member

I'm glad to hear you are happy with this one. Thanks for the pics; it is a beauty.

16. revelroy

revelroy Member

WOW!! I WANT ONE TOO!!

17. Rasher

Rasher New Member

Nice looking guitar. I wanted to get a white one in 2006 but ended up with a faded cherry 61 re-issue VOS Custom, and I never really got comfortable with it. I did a lot of things to it - new pickups, new wiring, TonePros, and it did improve it, but somehow I had a love/hate relationship with it, like some other people here. It never seemed a very 'willing' instrument somehow. I adjusted to that, but eventually I had to go for the real thing - an original 61 in white, and that is just everything the re-issue is not - an instrument I can hardly put down.

Moose, if you are still thinking of re-wiring, there's a lot you can do with a three pickup/four control layout, and it always seemed to me a bit of a waste to have only three sounds out of the factory wiring. On the reissue, I modified it for neck - neck and bridge - bridge, and put the middle pickup on a separate volume (using the lower tone pot) so that it could be faded in with any selection. The upper tone pot acts as master tone. And because I like to have out of phase sounds, I had the neck and bridge wired out of phase, which meant the neck was also out of phase with the middle. That gives you a lot of tonal options, although some of them are a bit extreme. I also put in a push pull at one stage to switch out the middle pickup.

When I got it, my 61 original was wired with the middle IN phase with the other two, rather than out of phase (which Moose and Tantrum have been kind enough to confirm was the factory standard setup). I don't know whether to return it to factory spec, or leave it. It sounds fabulous as it is, and the guitar has a lot of history on recordings by some well-known artists, so I suppose it might be better to leave it as it is.

18. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=Rasher link=topic=17440.msg248284#msg248284 date=1272639502]
    Nice looking guitar. I wanted to get a white one in 2006 but ended up with a faded cherry 61 re-issue VOS Custom, and I never really got comfortable with it. I did a lot of things to it - new pickups, new wiring, TonePros, and it did improve it, but somehow I had a love/hate relationship with it, like some other people here. It never seemed a very 'willing' instrument somehow. I adjusted to that, but eventually I had to go for the real thing - an original 61 in white, and that is just everything the re-issue is not - an instrument I can hardly put down.

Moose, if you are still thinking of re-wiring, there's a lot you can do with a three pickup/four control layout, and it always seemed to me a bit of a waste to have only three sounds out of the factory wiring. On the reissue, I modified it for neck - neck and bridge - bridge, and put the middle pickup on a separate volume (using the lower tone pot) so that it could be faded in with any selection. The upper tone pot acts as master tone. And because I like to have out of phase sounds, I had the neck and bridge wired out of phase, which meant the neck was also out of phase with the middle. That gives you a lot of tonal options, although some of them are a bit extreme. I also put in a push pull at one stage to switch out the middle pickup.

When I got it, my 61 original was wired with the middle IN phase with the other two, rather than out of phase (which Moose and Tantrum have been kind enough to confirm was the factory standard setup). I don't know whether to return it to factory spec, or leave it. It sounds fabulous as it is, and the guitar has a lot of history on recordings by some well-known artists, so I suppose it might be better to leave it as it is.
    [/quote]

Thanks for your notes Rasher.

I would love to have an historic guitar but I can't afford one at the moment.

I've played a few modern SGs including the cherry one you mention and they have left me cold too. However this guitar is exceptional. Even the middle position sounds great! I can only put it down to the natural variation of one guitar to the next. Our band practiced last week (we have a gig tomorrow night) and the consensus was that it sounded great. I really lift up out of the general noise that others call "a bass guitarist" and "a drummer".

Before I got the guitar I had considered various switching options including:
    1. the one tone - three volumes;
    2. "Frampton" wiring;
    3. Push-pull to remove the middle pickup and;
    4. my modification elsewhere in this thread.

I mostly use the treble position on SG standards. With the brighter over Custom it seems (I've only had the guitar over a week!) that I mostly use the middle position for rhythm playing and use the treble / rhythm, (which are slightly louder), positions for lead. It works and I don't change switching arrangements that much during the set so I'm unsure if I will progress with the switching changes yet.

I'm not sure about the "out of phase" middle position. Unless the middle PUP is internally wired differently, seems the same wiring as a the SG standard middle position (albeit without separate volume / tone controls).

Finally, while many guitarist have used the SG Custom from time to time, few call it home. I can only think of Glenn Buxton, Sister Rosetta Tharpe & Elliot Easton (with his 2 PUP signature).

19. Rasher

Rasher New Member

My recollection of the way my re-issue sounded with its original wiring was that the out of phase effect in the middle position was pretty subtle and limited because there was only the one volume pot acting on the two pickups in that position. So if I remember right, vol on 10 gave a slightly out of phase tone, but going down to 9 or 8 seemed to sweep through a phase cancellation and give a fuller tone, suggesting that one pickup was dominant over the other by the time you got down to 8. So I couldn't get the range and control you can get with a two-pickup-two-volume out of phase setup. It's the same thing with some of the S-1 switching on Fenders - they give you an out of phase sound in some positions, but without the ability to balance the pickup levels against each other.

I've got some pickups that are wound to be out of phase with each other, so they produce out of phase tone with conventional wiring. Maybe that's how the SG Custom was. I could get out the pickups that were on it and test that if I knew how to use a multimeter :roll:

That's always puzzled me slightly. But then not that many played the 3-p/u black beauty style Les Paul regularly either. There's Frampton, Page (until it was stolen) and then...who else? The versatility of a 3 p/u layout seems a big plus to me, and I've never been bothered by the middle pickup getting in the way. Anyway, Sister Rosetta is priceless, so that's OK!

This guy's playing the bridge p/u of a white 61 re-issue: sounds pretty good to me. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXslwSIB74&feature=related[/youtube]

20. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

So I've had the penguin for about two months and the love affair is not over but:

Thinking of changing a couple of things:

1. ABR bridge with Tonepros AVR-II;
    2. Standard tuners for Kluson waffle backs.
    3. Standard saddles for Graphtech TUSQ saddles.
    4. Either RS reissue 57-60 repro harness (I know this is not SG standard but it sounded great in the LP) or the RS SG upgrade kit.

Any comments or experience?

Observations

• [li]It is sex on a stick. I always get comments.[/li]
      [li]I play rhythm on the lead position and switch to treble or rhythm for lead. It's a passive boost at the flick of a switch.[/li]
      [li]The SG Custom tone is quite brighter. The other guitarist plays either a strat or LP so there is quite good variation.[/li]
      [li]Also the string tension is much higher than my LP or other SG[/li]

I put the tone and tension down to the ebony board guessing it has less give than rosewood. True? I can't think of any other reason.

Anyway I don't mind the tone and the Custom always finds somewhere in the mix but probably drop down to 9-42 strings.