SG Custom '61

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Moose, Jul 18, 2008.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

cant think why the string tension would be higher. I have an ebony board sg and no difference as far as tension goes. Humm, no idea unless you changed string brands which definately can have a diff in string tension even when they are the exact same size.

Re the mods, I'd say go for it! Part fo the fun of new guitars is tweaking them to make them fit your style. Only one I would question would be the saddles. Was there a problem with the stock ones? I don't see folks change out saddles on SGs very often unless there was a problem with string breakage.

2. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I would imagine the vibrato height is what is giving the extra string tension.

3. Rasher

Rasher New Member

I'll just throw something in here. I've been playing my 61 Custom re-issue and original 61 Custom side by side recently, and the re-issue does seem to have more tension. There could be two reasons I suppose: one is that they have different trem/tailpieces (vibrola on the reissue, and the sideways vibrato on the original). The other is that the neck profiles are different. This wouldn't objectively affect string tension but I wonder if it could make the strings feel a bit tighter because your hand is in a slightly different position. I know the super-slim neck original makes the strings feel really slinky, perhaps because I can really get my hand round it. And maybe the bigger neck on the reissue - which feels really wide - just means my fingers get a bit less purchase on the strings.

4. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17440.msg250081#msg250081 date=1278076603]
    cant think why the string tension would be higher. I have an ebony board sg and no difference as far as tension goes. Humm, no idea unless you changed string brands which definately can have a diff in string tension even when they are the exact same size.[/quote]

I've run the same 10-46 gauge across all my Gibsons and have '61 re-issue with vibrola. The Custom just feels like it has higher tension. I changes to 9-42 tonight and it feels better.

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17440.msg250081#msg250081 date=1278076603]
    Re the mods, I'd say go for it! Part fo the fun of new guitars is tweaking them to make them fit your style. Only one I would question would be the saddles. Was there a problem with the stock ones? I don't see folks change out saddles on SGs very often unless there was a problem with string breakage.
    [/quote]

I should have mentioned that Gibson cut the saddles in the wrong place. I asked the guitar tech at the shop where I bought it to try and correct it but he couldn't re-align all the strings so I'm going to get new saddles or a new bridge.

There is a fair bit of movement between the ABR and bridge posts so there is some merit in getting a tonepro AVR-11 in that it locks onto the posts. The reason I considered the graphtech saddles is because they look like nylon saddles on the original 63 style customs. I don't know much about them so probably will go with tonepros or Gibson saddles.

[quote author=Rasher link=topic=17440.msg250083#msg250083 date=1278077585]
    I'll just throw something in here. I've been playing my 61 Custom re-issue and original 61 Custom side by side recently, and the re-issue does seem to have more tension. There could be two reasons I suppose: one is that they have different trem/tailpieces (vibrola on the reissue, and the sideways vibrato on the original). The other is that the neck profiles are different. This wouldn't objectively affect string tension but I wonder if it could make the strings feel a bit tighter because your hand is in a slightly different position. I know the super-slim neck original makes the strings feel really slinky, perhaps because I can really get my hand round it. And maybe the bigger neck on the reissue - which feels really wide - just means my fingers get a bit less purchase on the strings.
    [/quote]

I agree it's something different about the neck. I have a '59 re-issue LP and it's neck is at least as big as the '61 custom but I don't notice the tension so much on the '59. The '59 is a stop bar rather than vibrola on the '61. Anyway, I've reduced the strings to a 9-42 set seems and I like the feel. The band are playing again tonight so it will be interesting to see how the 9-42 strings sounds.

5. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

[quote author=Moose link=topic=17440.msg250078#msg250078 date=1278052403]I put the tone and tension down to the ebony board guessing it has less give than rosewood. True? I can't think of any other reason.[/quote]

I could be wrong but I feel like these types of differences really can't be pinned down to any one thing. There are so many factors that go into string tension that it could be any combination of things. I would think the Ebony board would be a factor though.

6. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

I'm not a fan of triple-pickup SG's. The middle pup always seems to get in the way when digging in with the pick.

7. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I used 9-42 last night and that's the feel I was after.

Now to fix up my saddles. I'm probably going to get plastic saddles and have them set up properly.

8. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I was changing the strings last week on the dining table. I turned around to change the TV station and didn't realise the guitar lead was wrapped around my leg. When I turned back to changing the strings, I pulled the guitar off the table.

The guitar fell to the grand landing on the strap pin. It spun around on the pin about three times. I caught it by the neck before it fell to the ground.

Given the SG has a reputation as being a bit fragile I was surprised to find the guitar could fall three feet of a table without a break, single scratch or dent anywhere. Must have been my lucky day (apart from the falling of table bit)
    :)

9. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

I have some leads with magnetic plugs, which have saved my guitars a couple of times.

When I've tripped over the lead, it disconnects and leaves the plug in the guitar.

10. Rasher

Rasher New Member

With luck like that, you should get straight down to the betting shop and lay a grand on some three-legged nag!

11. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of re-wiring my custom. Don't like the sound too much treble.

The RS kit transformed my LP so I'm thinking of getting http://store.rsguitarworks.net/PWVINTSG.html

I'd appreciate any advice or other options?

12. LOTF

LOTF Member

The RS kit definitely transformed my '61 RI though I can't say what it would do for a Custom.

Also, I noticed you were considering Graphtech saddles at one point. If you haven't done so, do it. They will help enormously with any intonation issues with the Vibrola. I put them on my '50s Classic Strat and I was suddenly able to use the whammy bar for more than the last song in a set. Get the Graphtech nut as well. This is worth the money!

13. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=LOTF link=topic=17440.msg254862#msg254862 date=1294141553]
    The RS kit definitely transformed my '61 RI though I can't say what it would do for a Custom.

Also, I noticed you were considering Graphtech saddles at one point. If you haven't done so, do it. They will help enormously with any intonation issues with the Vibrola. I put them on my '50s Classic Strat and I was suddenly able to use the whammy bar for more than the last song in a set. Get the Graphtech nut as well. This is worth the money!
    [/quote]

The RS kit made a big difference to my '59 LP so I'm already a fan. Just not sure whether to just replace the components or re-wire. Even considering a JP 6 way switch http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...ee-Way_Pickup_Switch.html?tab=Details#details

I did install the Graphtech saddles and I like the feel better than the brass saddles.

14. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=17440.msg253460#msg253460 date=1290338881]
    I have some leads with magnetic plugs, which have saved my guitars a couple of times.

When I've tripped over the lead, it disconnects and leaves the plug in the guitar.
    [/quote]

I've never seen anything like that, great idea! Where did you get them?

15. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

16. TNT

TNT Active Member

17. LOTF

LOTF Member

18. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=LOTF link=topic=17440.msg254910#msg254910 date=1294212559]

It likely is but I'd want it smaller than 15'. I like a fairly short lead cable, say 6', and a longer one for connecting my effects to the amp.
    [/quote]

Can you even stand upright with a 6' cable? ;)

19. TNT

TNT Active Member

I use about a 1' cable between the wireless unit and the guitar. :)

20. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=mdubya link=topic=17440.msg254938#msg254938 date=1294260346]
    Can you even stand upright with a 6' cable? ;)

[/quote]

I play in a wheelchair so it's really not an issue for me but I can see your point. ;)

My problem is that long cables get tangled up in my footrests or other parts of the chair. I have a nice 15' Mogami with a right angle jack I rarely use for that reason.