SG Custom '61

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Moose, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=LOTF link=topic=17440.msg255311#msg255311 date=1294825609]
    I play in a wheelchair so it's really not an issue for me but I can see your point. ;)

My problem is that long cables get tangled up in my footrests or other parts of the chair. I have a nice 15' Mogami with a right angle jack I rarely use for that reason.
    [/quote]

Hey LOTF

How do you play in a wheelchair? Do you need to put the sides down or something to make room? How is your rig set up?

2. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=Moose link=topic=17440.msg255313#msg255313 date=1294827620]
    Hey LOTF

How do you play in a wheelchair? Do you need to put the sides down or something to make room? How is your rig set up?
    [/quote]

I fold the sides back on my power chair and don't use sides on my manual. I use a Boss ME-70 for effects (it's convenient) and put it on a chair directly to my left. I operate the pedals with my left hand and use the expression pedal as a volume control. Unfortunately, I can't use it as a wah so I have to use the autowah on the ME-70 for that.

My setup is guitar > ME-70 > AC-30 and/or Blues Jr. or mixing board. The ME-70 has stereo output which is cool. Playing from a chair has its challenges but if Django could do what he did with only 2 fingers on his fretting hand, who am I, with all of mine, to complain?

Here's a pic of me with my band, Lush Rambo. I'm playing my old Deluxe Player's Strat (which I've since sold to our other guitarist), not an SG, but it's the only good band shot I've got. The multi-effect is my old Vox Tone Lab which has since died and gone to multi-effects heaven. The 2nd pic is of my '61 RI, along with my Jon Kammerer Strat-style.

Attached Files:

• 155.JPG
      155.JPG
      File size:
      806.3 KB
      Views:
    • 303.JPG
      303.JPG
      File size:
      691.1 KB
      Views:
    • 155.JPG
      155.JPG
      File size:
      806.3 KB
      Views:
    • 303.JPG
      303.JPG
      File size:
      691.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=LOTF link=topic=17440.msg255361#msg255361 date=1294910033]
    I fold the sides back on my power chair and don't use sides on my manual. I use a Boss ME-70 for effects (it's convenient) and put it on a chair directly to my left. I operate the pedals with my left hand and use the expression pedal as a volume control. Unfortunately, I can't use it as a wah so I have to use the autowah on the ME-70 for that.

My setup is guitar > ME-70 > AC-30 and/or Blues Jr. or mixing board. The ME-70 has stereo output which is cool. Playing from a chair has its challenges but if Django could do what he did with only 2 fingers on his fretting hand, who am I, with all of mine, to complain?

Here's a pic of me with my band, Lush Rambo. I'm playing my old Deluxe Player's Strat (which I've since sold to our other guitarist), not an SG, but it's the only good band shot I've got. The multi-effect is my old Vox Tone Lab which has since died and gone to multi-effects heaven. The 2nd pic is of my '61 RI, along with my Jon Kammerer Strat-style.

[/quote]

I've not seen that many players on wheels, so it's great to see your band and how you set up for the gig. Keep rocking LOTF.

Oh and nice '61 too!

4. Alain

Alain Member

Congrats!! Your SG/Les Paul is amazing :Droolin: I wanted to buy a SG Custom without the vibrola and I' ve found this SG Standaed Ltd Edition year 2000 :)
    Is this an aged CS?

[​IMG]

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Hey, LOTF, that's very cool that you have worked out how to play in your chair; your work-around for effects using your ME-70 is very impressive. :coolsmiley:

I hope I'm not being condescending or anything, I really think it's great. Maybe the solution to the cables getting caught is a wireless rig? I don't use them but a lot of people do as mentioned earlier, as in TNT's post.

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Alain link=topic=17440.msg255421#msg255421 date=1294985578]
    Congrats!! Your SG/Les Paul is amazing :Droolin: I wanted to buy a SG Custom without the vibrola and I' ve found this SG Standaed Ltd Edition year 2000 :)
    Is this an aged CS?
    [/quote]

I don't know, Alain, but it sure is pretty! Did you buy it?

7. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=17440.msg255423#msg255423 date=1294987847]
    Hey, LOTF, that's very cool that you have worked out how to play in your chair; your work-around for effects using your ME-70 is very impressive. :coolsmiley:

I hope I'm not being condescending or anything, I really think it's great. Maybe the solution to the cables getting caught is a wireless rig? I don't use them but a lot of people do as mentioned earlier, as in TNT's post.
    [/quote]

LOL! The ME-70 is a symptom of advancing age. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have been caught dead with such a thing. But I just got sick and tired of the hassle with stompboxes and keeping my pedalboard in operation and decided to simplify. The Tone Lab was my first venture in this area but the BOSS is a much better unit.

I'd like to go wireless with vocals maybe even more than guitar. But money's tight right now so that's just gonna have to wait.

8. Alain

Alain Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=17440.msg255424#msg255424 date=1294988131]
    I don't know, Alain, but it sure is pretty! Did you buy it?
    [/quote]

No I bought this SG full stock, very short run (Limited Edition)

[​IMG]

9. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Very very inspiring LOFT! O0 A true rocker!

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Play it proudly!

11. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=Alain link=topic=17440.msg255525#msg255525 date=1295151648]
    No I bought this SG full stock, very short run (Limited Edition)

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Why that's just beautiful! :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin:

The pearloid guard with the ebony body is really sharp. Gibson should offer the Standard in this version, even if it would cost extra. I'll bet it really catches the audience's attention, Alain. As has been said, play it proudly!

12. Alain

Alain Member

Yes rhis 2000 SG Standard is fantastic ;) I like the SG/Les Paul Custom too, the ebony fretboard, the sound etc.. are great. O0

13. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=17440.msg254902#msg254902 date=1294194145]
    This would be a good SG cable http://cgi.ebay.com/SnapJack-ZZYZX-...pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4aa783b32c
    [/quote]

I bought the 20' version with one straight & one right angle connector. The cable breaking rather than the jack is a great idea for SGs and flying V. Seems very robust. The straight end also fits nicely into my strat too!

I've also got a wireless but don't use it much. It's just another piece of kit to carry and doesn't seem worthwhile unless I'm not on a big stage.

14. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I had any thing to say about my SG Custom but three observations over the past week:

1. As much as I liked the guitar I've never been really happy with the sound.As much It sounded bright but thin. Where is the SG punch?
      • Changed the pots and caps for a RTS kit
      • Changed saddles from brass to graph tech and then
      • Replaced the bridge with a tune pros AVR-II
      • Tried different PUP wiring schemes but went back to the original wiring
      • I even bought a Seymour Duncan Antiquity and thought I would start changing pickups

I was fiddling around changing the saddles around and adjusted the string and pup height. I've done this a number of times approximating what I thought looked close enough. Truth is I must have been way off the mark (two luthiers have also worked on the bridge).
      However, one thing I've found out is the historic geometry is not the same as the "made in USA" guitars.
      Anyway, I setup string height and pups to Gibson spec and then like turning on a switch. Three years and I finally got it right :( The sound is now outstanding, still brighter than a standard but now with the classic SG thump.
    2. Took the pups off, (thought I was going to replace the bridge pup soon) and found they are not '57s as advertised on the Gibson site but the neck/middle are BB1s with a BB2 in the bridge
    3. I was talking to my brother about colour schemes and pointed out why I like the black and gold scheme, it's the same the Norton Commando, favourite bike of my youth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013