Sg custom build electric help

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by RedG, Jul 18, 2021.

1. RedG

RedG New Member

I’ve built SG style guitar from scratch(the body) from an old bar top and I have these pick ups I bought which have an black earth wire, yellow/green & red conversion wire and a white live wire. (I’ll add pictures to show) I also have a les Paul solderless wiring harness. I’ve wired it with the conversion and live wire grouped together going to one screw clamp and the earth to the other, would this be the correct way to do this? I’ve built a sg style guitar from scratch but not too clued up on electronics, thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis New Member

The term "conversion wire" is a new one IME. What they are suggesting is "splitting" and the "conversion" is to split coils. But, basically, the conversion wires are the end of one coil (S) and the start of another (N). The White is the N lead of one coil and the black the S of the other coil.

You want to use the black wire and the white wire as your hot feeds from a complete pickup unless you are doing coil splitting. Leave the red and green twisted together and not connected to anything else.

So the path is from the white wire (coil 1 north), out through red or green (whichever is South of coil 1), then in through the other of red or green (whichever is north of coil 2), then out through the South of coil 2, the black. Black should hook to ground, white to the volume pot.

Edit: I just zoomed your photo a bit. Pull the reg/green out of that connector. Solder and shrink wrap them, or solder & tape, or use a small wire nut, etc. On the other pickup, do that with the orange & yellow. Screwed down leads are white (hot) and black (ground).
    ---
    And FYI - your bridge tone cap is a .0015, which means the bridge won't get as dark on "0". Probably OK with a bridge, but if it seems too bright even on "0", drop to a .022. That's the value on your bridge tone control.

You have treble bleeds on both pots, which should help you retain treble when turning down the volume on a pot. You have modern wiring (not 50's), which is expected with the treble bleeds on there.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. RedG

RedG New Member

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Jesus christ how many parts of this forum did you post this question in, and haven't you got your answers in spades by now?!

5. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis New Member

I noticed that too after I posted... it's in a half dozen forums.

6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

And perhaps Google is overrated after all...