SG Faded Pickup Covers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by LeftyDave, Aug 12, 2007.

1. LeftyDave

LeftyDave Member

While I still haven't received my SG Faded yet, I am gearing up mentally to install a pair of chrome pup covers on it. I like the look, pure and simple. I know that this may have been asked and answered already, but I'm unable to find any specific answers to my questions, thus this new thread. Please forgive my ignorance as I'm venturing into, for me at least, unknown territory here.
    Here then are my questions:

1) The 490R and 490T Humbuckers have 2 rows of 6 pole pieces for a total of 12 each pup. The covers have only 1 row of 6 holes each. How are these able to fit over the pickup without damaging either the pup or cover?

2) At Gibsons site, the only pic I can find of either pickup has a gold cover already installed. There are what appear to be 6 screw heads along the face of it. Are these adjustable? I ask because they look to be gold plated also, yet the surface of each pole piece is the standard silver color. What is their function?

3) When it comes time to make the purchase, should I stick with Gibson original covers, or can I go with covers from another source such as Allparts?

4) Lastly, after reading in another thread about SG Faded pups sounding thin, I believe that the time to remedy this will be during the install of covers. I don't like the idea of putting folded up paper inside, it just sounds too chincy. Aren't there any premade rings or spacers that will perform the same function as the paper trick?

Thanks in advance.

2. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=LeftyDave link=topic=14622.msg189086#msg189086 date=1186909952]

1) The 490R and 490T Humbuckers have 2 rows of 6 pole pieces for a total of 12 each pup. The covers have only 1 row of 6 holes each. How are these able to fit over the pickup without damaging either the pup or cover?

2) At Gibsons site, the only pic I can find of either pickup has a gold cover already installed. There are what appear to be 6 screw heads along the face of it. Are these adjustable? I ask because they look to be gold plated also, yet the surface of each pole piece is the standard silver color. What is their function?

3) When it comes time to make the purchase, should I stick with Gibson original covers, or can I go with covers from another source such as Allparts?

4) Lastly, after reading in another thread about SG Faded pups sounding thin, I believe that the time to remedy this will be during the install of covers. I don't like the idea of putting folded up paper inside, it just sounds too chincy. Aren't there any premade rings or spacers that will perform the same function as the paper trick?

Thanks in advance.
    [/quote]

All Gibson humbuckers (except the Iommi) has two rows of 6 pole pieces. Although, ONE row has adjustable pole peices that stick out a little bit. THIS IS WHY you see the "6 screw heads along the face of the gold pickup".

Pick up covers have one row cut out to accomidate the row of adjustable peices. So when put on, it looks like there are 6 screws sticking out.

Now If I were you, I would but the Gibson original covers, because they are good quality and will have a PERFECT fit.
    BUT YOU ALSO need to buy the right spacing covers. One chrome with bridge pickup spacing, and one for the neck pickup spacing.

Also, I doubt there are any rings or spaces made for this. Paper or foam will do it just fine, and you wont be able to see it.

Goodluck

3. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

4. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

Fadeds dont have pickup rings. ???

5. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

Woops, nevermind. I get it. hah.
    I WISH THERE WAS A MODIFY BUTTON!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

6. LeftyDave

LeftyDave Member

Thanks for the answers guys. Now I standunder! lol
    Went to my local store the other day and took a closer look at the angle of the bridge pup and see now what the ring is for. Looks like the side nearest to the bridge needs to be lifted, but not the other. I assume I won't have any problems putting both the cover and the ring on simultaneously?
    acdc...don't sweat the petty stuff man, no worries here. btw, for some reason every time I look at your name I think it says acid crocker. perhaps it's subliminal? :dontknow:

7. vivaoaxaca

vivaoaxaca Member

I think you may have misunderstood. You can put pickup covers on the pickups on your faded. Covers attach directly to the pickups. You cannot add pickup rings to an SG Faded. The pickups in a faded mount to the bottom of the pickguard. This is different from other SGs on which the pickups are mounted to 'rings' (they are actually rectangular pieces of plastic) which are screwed to the top of the guitar.

To resolve the issue of thin-sounding bridge pickups that some fadeds seem to have, you should basically put a shim, made of paper, wood, foam, or whatever, inside the routed wood of the guitar, under one side of the pickup to make it more parallel with the strings. Kind of like putting a folded napkin under a table leg to level the table.

8. dabowsa

dabowsa New Member

[quote author=DisclaimeR link=topic=14622.msg189169#msg189169 date=1186953530]
    http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_mounting_rings

6th picture down is what your looking for, the short/angled one. it angles the pickup perfectly. did it to my faded and it sounds way better.
    you dont really have to use the mounting screws that come with it. you can just use the pickup height adjustment screws and it will hold it in place well enough.
    [/quote]

Did you do this for the neck, too? Or just the bridge?

I hook my pinkie on the bridge pup sometimes, and I'd like to have either a ring, cover, or Classic '57(+) in there. What do you guys think has the highest effort:benefit ratio?

9. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

i only did it to the bridge because i thought the neck pickup sounded fine as is. though i bet it would benefit. it might be too close though, as ive lowered down mine very far and still get an unbalanced change in volume compared to the bridge.

10. LeftyDave

LeftyDave Member

Are these the correct part numbers for the two covers I need for my SG? Chrome is what I want btw.
    PRPC-O1O
    PRPC-015
    These are the original Gibson numbers. What would these cross over to at AllParts?