SG Faded: Seymour Duncan/Similar Covers for 490t/490r? Help pls...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by redllama, Sep 14, 2020.

1. redllama

redllama New Member

Hi all, new member here but long-time guest of the forum. Hope I can get some answers here... I need a good pair of 490r/490t nickel covers for my new (old 2010 actually) SG faded that plays and feels perfect.

I'm in Europe and Thomann has been out of genuine Gibson parts for a while now. Also aftermarket covers that fit from Allparts UK and similar are out of stock everywhere i looked.

Can I use SD nickel covers for the 490t and 490r? Thomann has an SD neck cover with 49.2mm spacing - the 490r specs are 50mm. Also, will the 490t (52mm) fit an SD trembucker cover? I think the spacing on that one is 53 mm?

What about Schaller covers? Could they fit? The bridge cover spacing is 50.7mm and the neck is 49mm. They're also half the price of the duncan covers.

Any experiences and does a millimeter or two really matter for pup covers? I'm really digging the sound of my Faded and the 490 pickups seem good enough to me so far. Also I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from Thomann so I'd like to include either the SD or schaller in the same order and get this over with... Anyone care to chime in? Thanks a lot!

ps: I wanted to include links for all the covers I mentioned but i couldn't seem to post this thread with links inside..

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Usually aftermarket covers have measurements listed, measure your pickups. :yesway:

redllama likes this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

On my SG Special Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1 humbuckers loaded, pole spacing is the same on bridge and neck pickups

SG Faded 91.jpg

redllama likes this.
  4. Flaps

Flaps New Member

I've recently bought a black set from black dog on Ebay, I'm happy with those and they were only something like £10 a set. Previously I felt the gap around the pickups were too large, looks great now.

redllama likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

No, you don't really.
    Specs.jpg
    Since it "plays and feels perfect." why mess with it? Looks? You can't see the pickup covers when you're playing, so who cares? I have two SG Specials that each also "plays and feels perfect." and have for 17 years. When I walk into the music room and see either one, I feel like "Hello old friend, let's play!"

6. Flaps

Flaps New Member

Sometimes it's good to freshen it up and if you think it looks better you are more likely to pick it up. The gaps around mine seemed huge!
    Guitar room looks quality by the way!

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The SG Special Faded Worn Brown is awesome, really cool guitar.

8. redllama

redllama New Member

Awesome SG den man! :cheers:

Thanks everyone for replying! Ditched the SD or Schaller idea and was lucky to find a UK site (Axesrus) that has nickel covers with the proper spacing. My faded looks awesome already (and what a neck!!) and I'm not really into mods. But... i wanted to give some covers and reflector knobs a go since i'll leave my LP uncovered. Thanks a lot again, will try to hang out on the forum more often when i get some downtime! Cheers :dude:

pedecamp and Flaps like this.