SG for High Gain

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sheehanje, Jul 25, 2017.

1. sheehanje

sheehanje Active Member

I was in a conversation with someone on these forums a little while ago about whether Gibson 57 Classic pickups were suitable for high gain. I play a lot of high gain - and have had no problem pulling it off. Granted, I don't play modern types of metal, I'm more an 80's metal head - but I'm pretty sure a stock SG Standard with 57 Classics are more than enough to pull it off. I found a sound clip I recorded quickly to demo to the person I was having the discussion with. I noticed I still have it up on soundcloud (I usually delete most of the demo stuff I do up there - but have kept a couple clips I linked to other forums). What do you think? Sufficient for metal, and possibly newer metal?

JCarno, JMon and bwotw like this.
  2. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

I certainly pull it off with the epi versions of the 57's. Anything from maiden to A7x, sounds good.

Full disclaimer I am swapping with a jb-59custom though.

sheehanje likes this.
  3. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like your are leaving much on the table crunch wise.

Nice playing.

sheehanje likes this.
  4. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Crushing sound! :dude:

sheehanje likes this.
  5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I think they fine for that. Your sound clip sounds sufficiently metal to me!

Honestly, a lot of the metal sound has more to do with your rig.

I've posted this before, but here is my 1974 SG with mini-humbuckers. Those pickups have even less output than your 57 Classics. BTW, I have the 57 Classics in my other SG. I like them.

sheehanje likes this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Brother, you got nothing to worry about. Heck, my favorite pickups of all time for hard rock/metal are T-Tops, not exactly a hot pickup.

I've noticed with all the cats using super high output passive and active pickups there is no subtlety in the tone, no way to decompress it or add back in dynamics. You can always pile more gain into the signal if you need it but you can't eliminate what is already there so I always find the results more pleasing when you start with a more modest output that has great string definition and plenty of dynamics.

7. sheehanje

sheehanje Active Member

I usually keep the gain where it needs to be live (and in relation to the volume I'm playing at) - but in the studio it gets dialed back quite a bit. The first time we went to a real producer, I thought "This sucks, there is hardly any gain!" - but by the time the final product was done it sounded killer and I learned a lot from the experience.

guidothepimmp and gball like this.
  8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I think the first rule of heavy tone is to use (a lot) less gain than you think you are going to need to get "that sound." I also think a lot of metal players would be shocked at how little gain there is on most of their favorite recordings.

sheehanje and jvin248 like this.
  9. sheehanje

sheehanje Active Member

Yes - it's definitely different in a mix then when I'm just recording a isolated guitar track to demo on soundcloud, lol

Below is one of the tracks from our last (and first real) CD. I used a Mesa Mark V for that CD, and the gain was at about noon - but to me it sounds pretty heavy (although not like modern metal). I actually got a lot of great compliments on my guitar tone - one from a guy into much heavier stuff saying how much he liked the clarity of my guitar sound throughout the whole cd. Live, I EQ a lot of the lows out - I'm now using a Helix direct to FOH and with some FRFR speakers on the backline - so it's super simple to EQ for each individual venue now. Most of my patches don't have tons of gain. At home, when it's just me playing, I like the sponginess of turning the gain higher though.

lcw and gball like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

EMG has done a great marketing job because it's a sticky opinion for that segment of players.
    They want more and more gain, to the edge of fizzy, sometimes the lower output passive pickups can sound more biting.

Start at 5:00 minutes in if it doesn't auto start for you

11. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

John, I read your post and then caught your name. At first it tripped me out. Ya see, I had a friend who died last year and his name was Jon Shehan

12. chilipeppermaniac

I can't answer the question tho as I never played high gain style music.
    Although I seem to recall other members who do.

I will post names when I think of em.

One fella is named Dave_Death, PM him maybe

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    sheehanje likes this.
  13. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Sounds heavy as hell to me. Nice tone, nice playing, nice tune. I can't freakin' stand when things get fizzy, so you dialed it in great. My #1 favorite tone is the Xtreme mode with the gain around 1:00. Since you are familiar with the Mark 5 you know what I am talking about - it's heavy and you can control the gain with your picking, plus there is a ton of thump when you need it. "Modern" metal amps very often sound like a box of bees to me, especially with high-output pickups in front of them.

14. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

In my opinion the your clip has a nice decent metal tone.

I play with a lot of high gain, I don't play metal though, but I use 57's or ThrōBak ER-Custom MXV's.

My approach to tone has always been to let the amp do most of the work. I think 57's provide a nice balanced and clear sound for the amp to drive.

(By the way about Soundcloud, grab your stuff before they shut down- current rumour is they have less than 80 days of cash. They just laid off 40% of employees),

15. sheehanje

sheehanje Active Member

I did two tracks for the guitar parts - one was Extreme mode with a closed back widebody 1X12 and the Gibson SG. The second track was done in Mark IIC mode with a Music Man Majesty and open back widebody 1X12. Think it came out killer - yet I sold it all unfortunately in pursuit of who knows what. Now I have a modeller with a couple FRFR speakers - but I do miss the Mark V setup I had - probably the most versatile tube amp on the planet. I may pick one up used at some point.

16. sheehanje

sheehanje Active Member

Thanks. Luckily anything I have on soundcloud is already saved to my studio computer (and backed up on OneDrive). I think SoundCloud did a disservice to make it difficult for users to play clips on their phone without the soundcloud app. Sometimes these money making schemes backfire 10 fold for these companies. When you balance service and ads with ease of use, you are on to something. When you are making things more difficult to squeeze every dime you can out of ad clicks, you are doomed to fail.

17. sheehanje

sheehanje Active Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my best friend and long time bass player in 2013 - was a tough thing to go through - his daughter died a year later. I have his bass that his parents gave me, it hangs in my music room untouched. I plan on fixing a few minor issues with it and using it for our next CD as a tribute to him.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  18. chilipeppermaniac

Sorry about your friend, brother John.

From a young age I experienced losing many dear friends and it never doesn't suck.

The loss of my friend Jon was really hard as he was the little brother of a good friend of mine and he lost his battle with drugs as he did a bad dose one too many times. Sadly he died in his brother's bathroom as his bro, sis in law and their 4 little kids slept. I still can't picture the horror my buddy went through as he woke to find him and had to somehow scramble to see if he could revive him and still insulate his kids from the sight of him being dead there.

Anyway, That was some good playing in the clip you posted. Seems like the gain is more than adequate.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  19. chilipeppermaniac

John, I ran across another sound clip where this guy is playing a little high gain stuff. Not 57's but 498 and 490 pups in an LP Custom

lcw likes this.
  20. gball

gball Well-Known Member

^^this X10

I use all kinds of different cabs with it, from a 1x12 open back (C-90) to a 4x12 and it sounds equally amazing through them all. Through the 4x12 it has enough punch to make you have to pee, but backs of beautifully with the guitar volume. Best amp ever.

sheehanje likes this.