SG Homicide Frankentar

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Chips, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

This is by far the most awesome guitar in the most awesome thread here in a long while! I sure hope you get it to work and tidy it up a bit. Just a bit though, the damned guitar is fckn legend! Taking those tools and just getting on with it is by far the most rockn'roll thing I've ever seen done to a guitar. What a guy.

Chips likes this.
  2. Chips

Chips New Member

Incredible! I figured I had asked the right community about this but really your identification is amazing. Even if it proves not to be exact it is undoubtedly similarly sourced. On the board I have the pots are not mounted as in the subsequent link. Upon further inspection and putting the magnifier back to work I can see that indeed the board looks like it could have been cut off where the pots would have mounted. There is a portion that was clearly cit off by drilling holes until the board broke. I'd say that except for these 2 exceptions this is a 95% match in terms of board and layout. Probably close enough that the 5 year gap in pot dates may explain it. The article is for a 69 and the pots I have are 74. I could imagine a few changes in there. I will check it out and try to operate it as a pedal before I refit it into the sg. It will be a few weeks though as I have to go back out to CA for the funeral and to clear out more of my uncles sound room. I'll look for that fender blender shell, which honestly looks familiar. I though it was a footswitch for a as yet unidentified vintage fender amp...if it is the box I remember.

And let me be sure to say thank you. I spent hours trying to find a circuit board that was even just a little similar. I appreciate your help as well as everyone else's.

fernieite likes this.
  3. Chips

Chips New Member

Another set of very good observations. I was able to get pot codes Dating it March of 1970, which is a sensible date considering the archival records I recovered from my uncles house. I will not be surprised if I find the original receipt for this guitar somewhere.

It seems to me, not being familiar with the SG pocket, that the neck pocket sides are cracked rather than the neck. There are thin cracks that I'd just ca glue and clamp if it was a kids guitar. I would like to remove the neck so I can repair the pocket and do something about the body. I am a woodworker with the tools and skill set to fill or cap the body and I would also do that for fun but in this case I think I like the ideas others have suggested. I want to first see if I can see the frankenmod through to get it going as initially attempted. Short of that I will look for some fun crazy ideas that a sane person would never think to try with an unadulterated vintage SG.

I have found it extraordinarily difficult to find details on how the sg neck should be pulled...especially one with cracks to repair. If you have any information on this procedure I would truly appreciate it if you would pass it on.

Thank you for you comments. It is great to see such thorough responses and incredible knowledge on these guitars.

4. football27

football27 Member

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, the heel design confirms this is no older than late 1970.

6. Chips

Chips New Member

With the help of other members this was identified as a fender blender board. In an amazing bit of luck I happened to find his schematic for his intentions, which appears to have included the board of a phase shifter as well. Not sure what I can do about that without the board but it does give me a jump point. Now I just need to find the time. I'll post the schematic/plan in a different post for feedback.

7. Chips

Chips New Member

Back to CA for the funeral. I did not find the shell for the now identified (thank you for the Id) circuit board but in amazingly lucky twist of fate I happened to grab the 1 book out of hundreds that had the original drawings for what my uncle had planned/attempted. Seems like maybe he was planning on popping a phase shifter board in there too. I don't see the board around but it would explain the extra space.

When I get back home I'll try to see if I can make it work. I'll post his drawings for any suggestions. Remember this mod was attempted long before the internet was available and there was probably a few drinks involved. 20210314_092842.jpg 20210314_092556.jpg 20210314_092424.jpg

8. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ what a stroke of luck! This thread is more exciting than any other entertainment available on the internet, or elsewhere!

9. Chips

Chips New Member

After finding those plans I decided to check another 50 books for something cool...found squat except for some lyrics that were a bit bitter & dark. I guess that is another adventure!

10. DaveSG

DaveSG Member

Good luck with the salvage. There is a lot of work ahead of this guitar, but a restoration means one more can be saved, even if it is another Norlin:rofl:

If it were me (and you are not, so different strokes and all that), I'd figure out some way to remove the neck (steam or otherwise), glue up the side cracks on the body (hot hide glue), and plane down the back to add about a 1/4" mahogany cap over the back - then the fine woodworking skills come in w/ matching contours and all that. Refin on the back, maybe plug some of the holes on the top but try to keep as much of the original patina, then reset the neck and have at it. The value is no longer there, as a neck crack + all the misc routing have removed it, but that is not what this is about - you've got a cool legacy and some good memories w/ an old family member and something here to carry on w/ in memory of them.

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

That looks like it would be a fun restoration project, route out the holes in the back and fill them with new mahogany, patch the holes in the front, if it comes out good stain it if not paint a solid color. Maybe restore those P90's if salvageable, reuse the knobs, get a new pickguard and electronics. :yesway:

12. Chips

Chips New Member

I can't believe how hard it is to find good specific instructions for how that neck can be removed. The last neck I took off blindly ended up taking a lot more wiggle, heat, force and time than it should have because it had a dowel rod I didn't know about. The pocket on this SG can be glued without removing the neck but it will be much easier to deal with the body fixes with it removed. However, I don't think the existing cracks will hold up to much "wiggle & pry to figire it out" pressure.

13. beerbelly

beerbelly Well-Known Member

I was building a replica of a Moderne a few years ago, and got the neck placement off by a few degrees- after the neck was glued in, the high E was almost off the fretboard.
    I bought a cheap espresso maker on CL, a football inflator fitting, some thin palette knives and some automotive fuel hose. Then I removed a few frets over the neck pockets, drilled though the slots down to the pocket, and used the steam from the espresso maker to inject steam into the pocket to soften the glue. It took half a day of refilling the espresso maker, wiggling & prying with the palette knives, but it worked. Then I let the wood dry for several days, shimmed & re-glued the neck and reset the frets.
    P.S. Don't try using surgical tubing- you'll make a hot balloon!

neck steamer.jpg neck tools.jpg steamer holes.jpg neck out.jpg front, done.jpg

Tracii and Stella like this.