SG jr's?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by zrAC/DC, Mar 21, 2007.

1. nate33

nate33 Active Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=12866.msg167870#msg167870 date=1174621823]

Don't look at me.  :p  :)
    [/quote]

hahaha ... that jr in your avatar looks a little dusty ... sure you don't want to share the wealth  ;)

2. crippe

crippe Member

I want one now! Do Gibson still make them?

3. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

4. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=12866.msg167894#msg167894 date=1174659600]
    You can get them still here  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-JR-P90-Electric-Guitar?sku=518932

I heard the necks on them are fat is that true? If so is it fatter than an epiphone neck?
    [/quote]
    If it's like the Classic, I'd say kinda. I like Classic's neck pretty good. A little bit thinner than I'd like but still comfortable.

5. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

For what it's worth, I used a 2002 RI Junior recently that had quite a substantial Neck on it. NOT anywhere near the size that I'd call a Bass Ball Bat, but still quite a lot of it. The Ex Jethro Tull Guitar has a Slimmer Neck, but again, nowhere as slim as Brew's SG/LP/TV Jnr. It seems to me that it is pretty much luck of the draw on what you'll find?

The Largest Neck that I have had thus far on a regular Production Guitar was on my 57RI Black Beauty, a HUGE "D" Profile. That would be closely followed by my 54RI "Goldie", but that Neck is a "C" Profile so does not seem as obtrusive.

SG Necks do seem to vary quite a bit from what I have experienced, but I have NEVER found one that would cause me a problem due to Large Dimensions. The Opposite in fact, I have had one Junior that had a very skinny neck and it was really unfeasable as a Live Guitar because of the Whip in that neck!!!! That one was a 65 Junior which in many ways was the best Sounding One I have had, but rendered more or less useless by lack of Tuning Stability caused by the movement IN the Neck.

6. Bogart

Bogart Member

You have not yet mastered capitalization, young Lex.

7. timmywear

timmywear Member

8. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

9. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

[quote author=dickieguitar link=topic=12866.msg167890#msg167890 date=1174656501]
    sgtbeefheart, that's interesting. I'd maybe expect the tuning to be less stable with that bridge than with the old rounded version, especially with the wound strings going back and forth over that little ridge. But I guess that's still less friction than the saddles on a tuneomatic.

Never having had a guitar with a Maestro myself, I wonder if they're not really half as bad as a lot of people say. (They look damned cool anyway!)
    [/quote]
    It's always had it's moments with tuning, usually the "G", but it's been very good for a while now.

I don't find the whammy too problematic, even though I like to do extreme dives occasionally.(I don't mean venues ;D)

Over the years I've become quite adept at reaching over my left hand to retune with my right.

I recently removed a Schaller roller bridge (eBay soon) to put the original back because I missed my whammy.

10. sgtbeefheart

[quote author=nate33 link=topic=12866.msg167891#msg167891 date=1174656772]

hahaha ... that jr in your avatar looks a little dusty ... sure you don't want to share the wealth ;)
    [/quote]
    Wealth is something I'm unfamiliar with, dust is another matter.

That picture doesn't show the colour very well.
    It looks white, but it's really cream, and I've recently noticed some yellowing on the back of the neck.

11. nate33

nate33 Active Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=12866.msg167985#msg167985 date=1174702305]
    That picture doesn't show the colour very well.
    It looks white, but it's really cream, and I've recently noticed some yellowing on the back of the neck.
    [/quote]

:Droolin: (look what you made me do)

12. dickieguitar

dickieguitar Member

Oh yeah, the necks turn yellow just before they break. I'll give you 200 dollars for it, just for the parts. Do you accept PayPal?

13. sgtbeefheart

:Droolin:, not.

I think I might be able to get a little more. :)

14. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Ah lexie, I love that ex Martin barre Junior. such a fab shade of cherry. wish i could find one like it I could afford, and the sound! if it's anywhere near the Aqualung sound... (especially that solo!) :Droolin:

15. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=12866.msg167669#msg167669 date=1174515411]

However......The Suprise Package was THIS.........................
    [​IMG]

THIS is a 2001 59 RI Double Cut LP Jnr. It is without a doubt a MILLION times nicer than the SG. Sorry, but it's true. It's Powerful enough to actually be "almost" verging on Out Of Control!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best thing that I can say about a Junior is that you'll NEVER get Bored!!!!! They are Just SIMPLE, But Oh SO Punchy!!!!

Pip Pip
    Lexie
    [/quote]

Still got the 2001 59 RI Double Cut LP Jnr Lexie?

MAN! NICE!

I dig ANY kind of JRN too. Wish I had a few.....

16. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

It's been twitching and making strange noises in readiness for the New Arrival this week.
    I rather Foolishly explained to it that very soon we can REALLY make some noise!
    It's beside itself in anticipation......or maybe that's me?

Pip Pip
    Lexie :)