SG Junior Aged Scratch plate

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by chard, Jul 11, 2014.

1. chard

chard New Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can purchased an aged scratch plate for my 62 LP SG Junior. The guitar is original other than the scratch plate which looks out of place due to it being relatively new.
    Any advise is most welcome. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. weemac

weemac Active Member

I had to replace one on my 66 junior. Don't panic it will age up soon enough with a few plectrum (or fingernail) marks, sweat and finger grease..

If you want the white bits to age. Find someone who had a uv lamp and expose it to uv for 12 or so hours and it should yellow a bit..

Eden.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I would use 0000# steel wool in a circular motion, then soak it in RIT Golden Yellow dye, then rub Old English dark wood scratch remover on the beveled edge..throw ny keys at it a few times, rub it out with Turtle Wax rubbing compound, then buff it to a nice vintage like sheen with polishing compound..real vintage has lots of swirly lines, but also has a shine to it..many aged parts just look like they've been scuffed up, steel wool followed by a rub out and polishing yields far more realistic looking results, plus the dye and Old English replicates the yellowing on the beveled edges almost perfectly.

58pit likes this.
  4. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

i'd just soak it in coffee and put it on... pick marks will appear soon enough

58pit likes this.
  5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Vintage pickguards were made of cellulose which ages differently to modern vinyl ones. That may have some bearing on whether you can accurately replicate age on a recent pickguard. You certainly won't replicate the shrinkage! :hmm:

6. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

That pick guard can be made to look like (aged) brand new, listen to Kris, I've seen it done.

7. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I was gonna say you'd have to buy an old one, but since the genius members here have given you some great suggestions, forget it. Besides, it's ridiculous what some people are asking for pieces of plastic just because they're "vintage".

My '98 Samick's PG is already yellowing and looks more authentically vintage than my VOS SG's PG.

58pit likes this.
  9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

That guitar is pretty bitchin' as-is. I would leave it alone and play the hell of of it - the 'guard will look worn enough in a few months.

58pit likes this.
  10. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Actually had a painter friend of mine buff a scratched up old pick guard of mine, buffed it in the circular motion with the 0000 steel wool Kris spoke of, he actually put a few drops of baby oil on it before the process, and cleaned it completely with alcohol afterwards. Made a HUGE difference.

11. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    I don't believe you....

Some photos? please :fingersx:

12. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

If Pit says a hen dips snuff, you can look under her wing and get the box! :D

58pit likes this.