SG Junior Prices?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Drazden, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Hey all,

So I'm thinking about adding a third SG to my stable recently -- currently a 2003 Gordie Johnson Sig, a 1970-76 SG Deluxe -- and I've become fixated on the Junior. I love the looks, and I would love to see (and have one) with a small pickguard and a Bigsby.

I've got a line on a vintage Junior -- mid '60s -- that's been refinished, had all the original hardware removed, all the electronics gutted and has been routed / set up for a humbucker and tune-o-matic / stoptail combo. Oh, and it's had a headstock break.

So, suffice to say, as far as vintage value goes, it's a mess. My question to you is, would it be worth my time to buy it to turn it into my dream Junior, or would I be better off finding a mid-90s reissue and using that as my project? Keep in mind I'd like to put a Bigsby on it, but I'd be looking at getting a JS Moore P-90, or finding a Gibson P-94 to save extra routing.

How much is a hack job like that worth? I know mint ones can go for... 5 grand? But this is far, far, far, far, far from that. I'm tempted to just pass and wait for a newer one just to save the work, but... What do you guys think?

2. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Judging by your description, it can't be worth more than a few hundred dollars.

It's basically a piece of mahogany shaped like an SG.

Even early juniors rarely make anything like 5000 dollars.

If somebody offered me five grand for mine, I'd bite their hand off.

3. AxRab

AxRab Member

Sound advice from the Sgt, I own 9 Jrs 60's-00's, I have purchased a couple in better condition then the one you speak of for around $3 and $400.00, I would say with a headstock repair, rout and no hardware or electrics and refinished, that guitar is worth $200.00 at best.

You have to look at it like this, JRs are going for about $1200.00 - $2500.00, if you take away all of the hardware etc on that guitar that is just useless, you are left with a refinished guitar with a broken headstock and a routed pick up cavity and wrong bridge holes.

Now with aftermarket parts
    pickup $100.00,
    bridge $100.00
    tuners $50.00
    pickguard $50.00
    electrics $50.00
    strap buttons $15.00
    Knobs $10.00
    cheap paint job $400.00
    cost of guitar $200.00

Now you are into a guitar for almost $1000.00 for a guitar that you would be hard pressed to get $800.00 for

If its any consideration, I have a couple of those same guitars, they are great players, but I'm upside in them......

4. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Hmm. Well, the guy isn't moving much on the price. Maybe I should just wait and see if I can score a more recent reissue Jr. with the batwing pickguard for $500.

Though I DID just have someone email me about one of those, asking $1500.

What a world.