SG lover from France

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by VincentHiwatt, Jul 18, 2016.

1. VincentHiwatt

VincentHiwatt Member

Hello guys,

I am very happy I found this forum. It's a daily source of information so I thought it was time for me to register and introduce myself. My name's Vincent. I live in France near Paris. I'm 40 years old. I'm Who fan and that's why I began the Solid Guitar collection.

First SG I bought in the 90's, 1968 SG Special. Very few modification done to it, (a badass bridge and vibrola removal. Since picture was taken I changed the knobs to silver ones because the original ones were in bad shape. Frets have been changed once). She plays great and she is my preferred SG. She is featherlight. Tuning is what it is, and she would benefit from grovers but that's OK really. I'm never going to sell her. (not shown in her original case).
    [​IMG]

Second one, bought new in 2002, a Pete Townshend SG Special with batman plate. Almost identical to the previous one except it has a stronger neck, much heavier body, grover tuners, and original bridge. She is stock and is like new. She shares a lot of tones with her mother but definitely not the same guitar. Strangers might not spot the difference but as the owner I can tell you they are not the same guitars. The case is brown with Pete's signature in silver. Interior is black. See picture above ! (Shown in the 1968's case).
    [​IMG]

And last one, bought a year ago, a 2009 SG Standard '61 reissue. This is the Nashville version, not the Custom Shop. She is stock and I like the '57 PUs. She plays great, has a nice balanced weight and has all you expect from a Standard. The work is very well done on this model. The yellowish binding, it is really well finished. Nothing to complain and everything to love. Recently I wanted to buy new cosmetic parts for her (such as the "Les Paul" truss rod cover, new 5 ply plate, Memphis ABR1), to make it more authentic but it's a lot of money for small plastic parts and she's not going to sound any better so it's on standby. If I wanted the custom shop model, I should have bought one from the start.
    [​IMG]

I own several other Gibsons (three Les Paul), and I love them all. Thanks for reading me and see you later in the forum.

Hector, Sweetums, syscokid and 8 others like this.
  2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Sweet,
    Welcome to the Zoo, some of the animals bite.......some are twice bitten.....and others lost their teeth in a craps game out back with Hells Angels last Tuesday.......

Watch out for Gibsg ---he is a French fellow as well----who LOVES GIBSON SG's like they are AIR (or sexy young girls) ----he might want to come visit you and rub his private parts on your guitars.........you where warned.....

:dude:

WavMixer, syscokid and deMelo like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

As long as this new guy doesn't bash Epiphones like Gibsg he's more than welcome. Preferences are one thing but the trolling and belittling of those of us with Epiphones ain't cool.

Sorry Vincent, that other guy rubs me the wrong way. Welcome! You have some beautiful axes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

welcome and great SGs you got there

5. VincentHiwatt

VincentHiwatt Member

Hello Raiyn and eS.G. Thanks for your replies.
    I have never owned an Epiphone, and not even played one. I just don't know them and that's fine that way but they look like copies. When was the first Epiphone SG produced ? I'm not a big fan of veneered Les Pauls but SGs look fine.

6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG! Great guitars you got there. And we wouldn't mind seeing your Les Pauls as well...:D

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Epiphone is owned by Gibson and produces more affordable versions of Gibson guitars. Sort of a Chevrolet vs a Cadillac kind of thing. They both get the job done and are both good instruments.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

ANd not ALL of them have veneer. :)
    ripper1.jpg
    ripper2.jpg
    lester2.jpg
    lester3.jpg

;)

Rock on

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

No worries Vincent, YOu got enough Mahogany sweetness there to keep you busy ;)

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Welcome Vincent, you have some of my dream guitars.

I have the Epiphone version of Townshend's SG, the 61' reissue 50th Anniversary G400 SG. It is not a copy, just a less expensive version, made by Gibson's sister company like Raiyn mentionned. It probably plays as well and sounds incredible. I'd really like to compare tone between these two, one day.

I think this one was made in 1982, and the actual G400 in 1989.

[​IMG]

11. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Welcome. Those are beautiful guitars and you seem to cherish them as much as most of us cherish ours. I would also like to see those Les Pauls if you could be so kind.

eS.G. likes this.
  12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

YES---what he said!

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

14. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

15. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Salut, Vincent. My name is Johan van der Smut, but people here know me as Goldmember. I am from Holland. Isn't dat vird? That 2009 SG Std is as shexshy and shmooth as a pancake, yesh?

16. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

SG PT body is made with a nice piece of mahogany

17. VincentHiwatt

VincentHiwatt Member

Hello guys

Thanks for your replies. Nice Epiphones.
    I believe my Specials have one piece mahogany necks and one piece body (not counting the headstock's wings...). I think the '61 RI has two pieces body. I will check tonight and shoot more pictures. Don't hesitate to ask for details. I have the original '68 parts (vibrola, wraparound bridge and knobs). I will try to photograph the neck joints because they are different in every SG. Why is it so inconsistant ?

Here is a picture of my 2016 Les Paul Standard T.
    [​IMG]

JCarno, Gibsg, eS.G. and 1 other person like this.
  18. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    Beautiful guitars.
    Real deal no doubt.

Me Love SGeee,
    especially with
    P9-Teee.
    (NOT SG related, just had BowWowWow I want candy in my head)

19. SG Rangemaster

SG Rangemaster New Member

Welcome!

outstanding guitars

20. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

Welcome !

Awesome Gibson guitars !