SG Modern--I really tried to like it

Worblehat

Reaction score
Btw, do your Iommi have photos?
Sure:
sg-jpg.36532

It has been my main guitar for about 15 month now. On the photo it has a P90-sized humbucker in the neck position. But I changed it back to the Iommi pickup later.

I put super tiny and lightweight Gotoh Stealth tuners on it. They needed new screw holes and conversion bushings. Looks a bit weird but totally worth it!

tuners-png.36533

As I said mine has the strap button on the tip of the horn. I changed the stock button to shaller strap locks and noticed that the screw was actually pretty short (the left one). The shaller came with two sizes of screws (the black ones). I used the short one because I did not want to screw further into it. As far as I can tell its steady as a rock. :fingersx:

screws-jpg.36534

Attachments

• SG.jpg
    SG.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Tuners.png
    Tuners.png
    957.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Screws.jpg
    Screws.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 97

Rain

Reaction score
Sure:
sg-jpg.36532

It has been my main guitar for about 15 month now. On the photo it has a P90-sized humbucker in the neck position. But I changed it back to the Iommi pickup later.

I put super tiny and lightweight Gotoh Stealth tuners on it. They needed new screw holes and conversion bushings. Looks a bit weird but totally worth it!

tuners-png.36533

As I said mine has the strap button on the tip of the horn. I changed the stock button to shaller strap locks and noticed that the screw was actually pretty short (the left one). The shaller came with two sizes of screws (the black ones). I used the short one because I did not want to screw further into it. As far as I can tell its steady as a rock. :fingersx:

screws-jpg.36534

May I ask about the bridge? No biggie but I'm curious to know whether even those signature, higher end SGs have the same hardware, retainer wire and all.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
It's my belief that most Epiphones are made with the Epi version of
Gibson's "Nashville Bridge" which has no retaining wire.

One of the few tuna matic bridges that still has the old system with the retaining wire
is Gibson's ABR-1. Some players think that the ABR-1 has some advantage, even
though it was invented in the fifties when there was only one gauge of strings:
Heavy. Gibson still makes this bridge, to service this market. Many of our members
here will tell you they prefer the ABR-1.

Most modern Gibsons are issued with the Nashville bridge, which was designed much
later and is capable of intonation extra light gauge strings. Some historic designs
such as Gibson's '61 ReIssue, are built with the older ABR-1, for the sake of
authenticity. Other extra cool designs include it too, I don't know which.

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
Moving the strap button to the back of the horn had nothing to do with curing neck dive - this is an understandable mistake that seems to keep coming up here. The move came with the use of the "Fast-access heel" which offered "unfettered access to the upper frets" - something we all know the SG desperately needed... :rolleyes:
Thank you.

I dont know how anyone can assess anything by images of Angus. For all I know he has a great strap. Why not? He's Angus.

It's my belief that the underlying issue is how the neck join meets the body. Same on a Firebird. That neck isn't recessed back into the body like, for example, a LP & what not, changing the balance significantly.

The looong feeling neck IS the feel of a SG. It has nothing to do with where the strap button positions the guitar. IMO of course.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
What if they produced a heavy stainless steel bridge and tail piece to counter act neck dive? Me personally I've never experienced this so called neck dive and even if I did I always have 2 hands on a guitar when I play so its a moot point.

Steve D

Reaction score
It's my belief that most Epiphones are made with the Epi version of
Gibson's "Nashville Bridge" which has no retaining wire.

One of the few tuna matic bridges that still has the old system with the retaining wire
is Gibson's ABR-1. Some players think that the ABR-1 has some advantage, even
though it was invented in the fifties when there was only one gauge of strings:
Heavy. Gibson still makes this bridge, to service this market. Many of our members
here will tell you they prefer the ABR-1.

Most modern Gibsons are issued with the Nashville bridge, which was designed much
later and is capable of intonation extra light gauge strings. Some historic designs
such as Gibson's '61 ReIssue, are built with the older ABR-1, for the sake of
authenticity. Other extra cool designs include it too, I don't know which.
My 2018 SG Special has an ABR-1

Col Mustard

Reaction score
that's a Gibbie, not an Epi?
I still don't think Epiphone uses this bridge, but members will correct
me if I'm wrong.

Beats me why Gibson would still use this, except that they went bankrupt
and are now trying to survive by building guitars as much like they used
to as they can. I know they offer them because guitarists still demand
them. There are plenty of fans of the ABR-1 on this forum.

If yours intonates perfectly and doesn't rattle and doesn't collapse
...and the studs don't work loose and lean fwd in their wooden threads
then it's an improved version of the old one. On a 2018 guitar, it ought
to be.

Last edited:

Worblehat

Reaction score
May I ask about the bridge? No biggie but I'm curious to know whether even those signature, higher end SGs have the same hardware, retainer wire and all.
I assume it has the same bridge as other Epiphones (with retaining wire) but I don't know for sure.
Here it is:
bridge-jpg.36568

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 57

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
Mount a Bigsby on it and it will never neck dive again!

Tom

Well true enough!

My sg isnt bad with a heavy leather strap is just kind of tries to dive. Obviously one solution is keeping a hand on the neck. But my other guitars dont do it at all.

Latest posts