SG Modern

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Cmartin, Sep 25, 2021.

1. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You can reduce the size usind Paint, MS Picture Manager, etc...

2. MR D

MR D Active Member

JPEG 'Optimizer', removes pixels, and an I-Pad Mini is the only way I have been able, and SOMETIMES THAT DOESN'T WORK, pics come up the size of the entire page etc etc, lol !

3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

"Pictures too large" has to do with the file size, not the size of the picture on the page. Pixels = Data which is stored in a file. You could have a 4K file that is several Megabytes in size, and "shrink" that down on the page to fit in the space of your avatar. It would still be several Megs, and too large to be accepted by this website as an upload. The pixels in question are not the ones on your screen, they are the ones in the file. With high resolution photos you can have a single screen pixel that is made up of any number of data pixels, but the computer must look at all the data and decide what that one screen pixel should be. That stores vast amounts of data per photo that is wasted, and requires time and bandwidth to process every time the photo needs to display. High resolution files are simply wasted for the purposes of this forum.

My uploaded photos are all in the 500 KB range and are more than detailed enough to look sharp and even be zoomed in on without loosing detail. They just take up less space on the server, and display more quickly and use less forum bandwidth to transmit. I usually download my photos to my local computer, open in my photo editor, crop to frame the subject more precisely and reduce wasted pixels, then reduce resolution (more pixels) until the file size is suitable for an internet forum. Then I just compose my post and upload from there.

Also note that many cameras can be configured to take lower resolution photos (smaller files) which will do the same thing. I don't use my phone for photos, but I would be shocked if a modern cell phone camera was not configurable in this way. It will allow you to store more photos on your phone as well, so it's really a "win win" for you.