SG neck dive solution

SG standard

Reaction score
but how are you guys solving neck dive? the ones who experience it? (I do, slightly but I do. I wish my SG balanced as well as my PRS...)
It depends on a few factors; the cause, the extent, the options you prefer to take, etc. If neck dive is bothering you, I'd suggest looking at the following options:

1) Reduce the weight at the headstock (lighter machine heads, light weight buttons).
2) A thick strap with plenty of grip (like suede) - though if the neck dive is strong it might just drag too much on your clothes.
3) Use your body to prevent it: Hold the neck up wth your left hand - though some find it interferes with their playing if they've got to support the weight of the guitar too much. (This is pretty much the defining issue of neck dive - you're going to have to hold up the neck to play! So if you've got a problem with neck dive, this isn't likely to be much help). Some also use the right arm to 'clamp' the guitar to their body & prevent it moving.
4) Add weight to the body.
5) Move the rear strap button, like this. (But only if your SG is a real keeper - it wont help the value).
6) Moving the front strap button the the horn tip - Iommi style. (Not sure how much this helps) (as above re-value)
7) Construct an extended front strap button (like the OP of this thread) (as above re-value)

Hope that's helpful, and no offence intended to anyone who doesn't believe in neck dive. :)

Kep

Reaction score
Would this be a good time for me to chime in about how I am a tonewood believer and that plywood is actually a tonewood?

Wildeman

Reaction score
Would this be a good time for me to chime in about how I am a tonewood believer and that plywood is actually a tonewood?
But the plies need to be glued with hide glue.

Biddlin

Reaction score
gittler-guitar-fret-lights.png

Tone Titanium, baby! The best for frettin' the blues!

syscokid

Reaction score
What a crazy thread! Until a few months ago, I honestly haven't heard (or noticed) the term "neck dive" relating to guitars. Now, ya'll got me all screwed up. All I do now is stand there, with my guitars strapped on, both hands in the air, wiggle my body around, and observe which of my 11 electric guitars neck dive or don't neck dive. I'm not actually playing any notes or chords anymore. I think I'll just take up solving crossword puzzles now... :dude:

But seriously:
I use a leather strap and keep my hand on the neck. I never thought about neck dive until I read about it here, although my SGs all dive a little.
I'm pretty much in the same camp here. Plus, I like to strap any guitar, in a high position on my body. This inherently leads to my forearm constantly applying a lot of pressure on the lower bass bout and my strumming/picking hand resting a lot by the bridge... I like to palm-mute a lot.

WavMixer

Reaction score
Well this guitar has no problem with neck dive. Got some real good tone cinder block mojo goin on here. BTW, I have one of these piezo pickups on one of my guitars.

Gahr

Reaction score
Well this guitar has no problem with neck dive. Got some real good tone cinder block mojo goin on here. BTW, I have one of these piezo pickups on one of my guitars.

You might have a problem with broken femurs if you play for too long, though.

Latest posts