SG Neck dive

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by electriceye, Oct 23, 2020.

1. electriceye

electriceye New Member

Sorry, I know this is an old question/problem but have tried most common cures suggested, or that I can find. Sorry, long read, but it's something to do during this bloody lock down. I had a beautiful 1971 SG dot neck, perfectly balanced, action so very low. I sold it to my best freind a couple of years back who was in a 'name' band (No1's in UK and US amongst other parts of planet Earth) as I was too afraid to take it gigging as apart from, marks and dings etc. Last straw was having nearly driven away from the club we had just been gigging when I noticed it in it's hard case, in the street, leaning agaist the wall!! I was going to put it in last, 2nd guitar (Strat) already loaded. Thank the Guitar Gods for saving me and her (SG) by my noticing it at the last nano second.
    He records from home and with his lovely collection, very early 60's Strat, '61 Tele etc, amonst other beauties, he LOVES the SG most due to tones and Playability. I then aquired a new, at the time ( 1990's ) Epi SG, it looks great,action good, but I can't play it as it neck dives like an Olympic Diving champion. I trimed about 1/2" off the end of the head stock, moved neck end strap button and then the main body button. Result? Zilch, maybe slight from about 45 degrees to 30, but I can't play AND support weight of the instrument. I don't really want to add weight unless that's last thing to try, car wheel balancing lead weights in electrics cavity, something like that. Anyone got any better ideas ? I would really 'ppreciate a solution so it is more than a wall decoration.:rolleyes:

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Yikes ! That's a bit extreme. Before doing that, I would have looked for another one that doesn't neck dive.

Do you still have the heavy Grover tuners on it ?

Here's a "think outside the box" solution I came up with. Two version, no damage to guitar.

Strap et ceinture.jpg
    Strap et ganse.jpg

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

I don't let go of the neck when I play. Having seen a strap button let go and take the neck off a guitar as it hit the floor, I just can't bring myself to remove a hand from the neck. So dive is simply never an issue.
    But if you want to change the balance, please consider adding weight to the tail before you take a saw to the headstock. I know it's too late for yours, but there will be others.

Dwright likes this.
  4. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

What Don says, plus like DrB on the Grovers.

Some folks switch to kluson style to lighten the head stocks.
    Some add lead sticky wheel weights or other ballast in their control cavites, and similar to that strap routing trick, some use a simple grippier or wider strap to hold better across the shoulder/ back and thus no diving.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

no pic

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful neck dive, awesome!

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

smbid.jpg

Attached Files:

electriceye, papagayo and donepearce like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    DrBGood likes this.
  11. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Biddlin-- "Rectitude is its own punishment."

Bidd, sometimes if my gut is fighting me, my rectitude inflicts a terrible punishment on me too.

12. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Neck dive on an Epiphone is very strange... You have a collector my friend :smile:

13. DrBGood

pickme4ig.gif

cerebral gasket likes this.
  14. laza616

laza616 Member

A serviceman that did my SG lately mentioned that my SG is very nice balanced and that recently he had a customer with the SG neck diving issue. He told me he tried changing the tuners to vintage from grovers and it still had slight neck dive. So he put out the back electronic plastic cover and custom Made one from some metal and the guitar was balanced after that.

I have one SG with the neck dive issue but i use a leather strap.... , that helped.

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  15. electriceye

electriceye New Member

Now thats a good one! Will try it. As I say, I 'aquired' it in a hard case, a gift so only tried it sitting down briefly!!

16. electriceye

electriceye New Member

Really!!!!???

17. electriceye

electriceye New Member

I did remove and finish headstock reasonably well, I didn't just chop off 1/2 ".

18. DrBGood

Can we see that ?

19. electriceye

electriceye New Member

I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to reply, deep joy. One of, if not all the suggestions above will work. If it does I'll send 'before' and after pics.
    P.S. Living in UK (no surprise as I was born here) I bought 2nd hand one of the early release 'Vintage' brand Les Paul PGGM reliced copy models, i.e. it has standard LP neck/bodyheel joint (newer ones have recessed heel supposedly to aid high string reach-doesn't look right to me). The relicing is a bit cheesy but I can only say it compares in everyway to my Gibson LP, which is a beaut, 2011 natural finish with baked maple fretboard. The Vintage brand are really good guitars for the cost. John Hornsby Skewes, the 'boffin' behind these apparently found one of the original humbucker wiring guys from back in the day and showed him the 'secret' and of course the reversed out of phase neck pickup. And the action is to die for if you like it low. Sorry, I know this isn't Les Paul site, but I start babbling about guitars..Thanks again

20. electriceye

electriceye New Member

Sure, a bit busy right now asap.....but comitted a heinious act doing so, a little ashamed....I'm sure you can guess?! Sort of 'Book end ish'..Aaaargh, but I thought why not?