SG neck heel joint

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Mmurf, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Mmurf

Mmurf New Member

IMG_4944.JPG IMG_4945.JPG Hi All,
    New to your forum. I've seen other posts regarding heel neck/joint issues.

I just picked up this 86 reissue. 100% original. Even has the chainsaw case. The original plastic cover is still on the control cover plate. Anyway, the guy sold it to me at a pretty good price. Because he thought the neck appeared to be separating from the body. I checked it over after getting it home. Seems to me to be just finish cracks. Removed the neck pup. No signs of anything wrong at the joint. Neck seems stable. No signs of guitar being dropped. In fact, the body is is pretty good condition overall. Did a set up. Plays as you'd expect. Like butter. What say you SG guru's out ther? Photos attached.

2. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Active Member

I'm no expert, so I'll defer to others.
    That doesn't look like just finish cracks to me though.
    The cracks start at about the same point on both sides of the neck.
    The crack doesn't go up toward the fret board, only around the bottom of the pocket.

3. Mmurf

Mmurf New Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah. I understand what your saying. I'm trying to convince myself that it's stress crack in the finish brought on by neck bends.

4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but those pics look scary to me... :ohno:

I wonder what a pro would have to do to make the right determination?

5. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

Those are real cracks in the wood. I have a repaired '65 SG special that has that exact crack on the side of the area where the neck meets the body. It was professionally repaired with dowels before I bought it and is now completely stabilized. The wood is thin in that area.

6. Mmurf

Mmurf New Member

Thanks. How much did the repair cost? If you don't mind me asking.

7. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

I am no expert, think you should take it to a pro. And please share more pics of her!

We love pics

8. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Active Member

Can you post some pics of the repaired area, I'd be curious to know how the repair was done.

This one looks as if the glue, on the bottom of the pocket, didn't hold very well, but the sides did.
    Def get an estimate from a pro. I'd get 2 or three estimate, if possible

9. Mmurf

Mmurf New Member

Trying to post a few pics. Seem to have a problem exceeding the 1mb file rule.

10. Mmurf

Mmurf New Member

11. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

I didn't have it done. It was done prior to me buying the guitar. I have no idea what it would cost.

12. Mmurf

Mmurf New Member

Ah.. Thanks for the follow up.

13. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke Member

I have a '69 SG Standard that needed a neck reset. Gibson Restoration in Nashville charged me $800 back 2006. Got it back perfect. Then, about 5 or 6 years ago, it fell over sideways and the neck joint was jarred loose. Murphy's Music on Long Island, NY, reset it by injecting hide glue and clamping for a week. Got it back perfect, AGAIN. You'd have to play this amazing instrument to believe it!

14. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

if there's no movement....there's nothing to fix.

there COULD be a problem... maybe. But there also could be no problem.

The fix could range from a complete neck reset (extreme and unlikely)
    to injecting CA glue into the crack and clamping. (easy cheap and more likely)

It's impossible to tell from the pics. Finish cracks from a physical jolt are completely possible. That area is a concern to be sure. But if the neck is stable and holds tune without issues, then I'd lean towards the quick easy fix if any.

I had a break in that area to a similar guitar. My break was easy to separate and the guitar would not hold tune. The fix cost under $100 and was a simple overnight glue and clamp. no finish work needed. it went back together invisibly perfect.

so it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom...... unless that's what you want to play on your devilish machine!!!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

As scary as it sounds, the only way to check is to hold the body still and push on the neck to see if it moves and the crack visibly opens. That's what a luthier would do if you handed it to him. Just, obviously, don't yank hard on the thing and make it worse.

Dave likes this.
  16. DaveSG

DaveSG Member

Have you removed the strings and see if the crack visibly changes at all, such as closing up a bit more? That, to me, looks like the start of a serious heel crack...but a clean one.

The repair, if needed, could be as simple as hot hide glue (as someone else related in their own repair) can clamp up for a day or two. Hot hide glue can be run pretty thin (way different than a titebond type glue) and can make any repair reversible. It also is good for very, very tight joints and that looks like it would be a very tight joint. No reason to have to spend big $$ on this guitar if in fact it needs repair.

Remember, there are a lot of SGs out there (especially older ones) with heel repairs. It is a common repair and something a lot of repair folks are familiar with. That one in particular, looks about as clean as you can get. You see the ones where the neck completely snaps off, chunks of wood go missing, it takes the bottom of the heel pocket with it, etc. Sometimes the repair is more ugly than the break.

Hot hide glue injected through a syringe and immediately clamped up would be where I would lean. It is actually something you could do yourself, with some practice. I love seeing these kind of guitars for sale cheap because they are an easy fix and make awesome players.

Good luck!