SG Neck Measurements

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pedecamp, Apr 20, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 faded SG and I'm looking at getting a 2017 or 2018 SG Standard that have slim tapered necks. I want to figure out what the neck profile is on my current faded in comparison to these guitars so I'll know if I'll like them or not, I wont be able to try before I buy. I do like my current faded neck profile, it might be referred to as a rounded neck, I got the following measurements by eye off it with a ruler:

Nut width: 1 11/16"

22nd fret width: 2 1/4"

Neck thickness 1st fret: 13/16"

Neck thickness 12th fret: 15/16"

What other measurements do I need if any to compare the new to the old neck profiles? Maybe somebody can give me their 2017-2018 neck measurements?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I was about to post that link, but you got to it first.

The early to mid 2000 SG Special Faded have my favorite neck profiles which are thick and rounded.

Nut width, 1st and 12th fret thickness are the main dimensions that are listed in neck specs. I find that the thicker necks are usually more rounded on the backside with a good amount of shoulder and the Slim Taper necks tend to feel flat on the backside with less shoulder from my experience.

It's difficult to quantify the amount of shoulder and since the necks are sanded by hand, no two are exactly the same. I have five SG from 2000-2006 and they all have fairly thick and rounded necks, but each one is slightly different and it does not bother me. Slim Taper necks are a different story.

I'm thinking you would favor a 2016 SG Standard with the thicker rounded profile that is very similar to the mid 2000's SG Special Faded. I'm not certain there exists a left-handed version for that year.

Maybe you could sample some right-handed Slim Taper and SG Rounded necks locally to do an A/B test prior to ordering a left-handed version online to give you a better perception of the differences between the two.

Some folks get used to one kind of neck and others don't have a preference. I used to not know what I liked and didn't have a preference until I had one of each and discovered that the Slim Taper necks annoyed me after a while. One is not better than the other, only different. It's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    pedecamp and arcticsg like this.