SG Neck Relief

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ypnos, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

After researching the net, i found that in order to measure neck relief in electric guitars, you put a capo in the first fret, then fret the fifteenth fret which is the part that the neck enters the body, and measure the neck relief with filler gauge at 7th-8th-9th fret.

But what about our SGs? Mine is a 2013 standard and the neck enters the body at the 22nd fret. At which fret do you fret, and at which fret do you measure neck relief??

HELP NEEDED!!!

2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Unless I have misunderstood this concept, on all 4 of my SG's the neck enters the body at the 19th fret. The midpoint between the 1st and 19th fret is the 8th fret.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    ypnos likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

As I understand it, it doesn't matter where the neck enters the body, it's more where the truss rod is anchored. Are those two variables always in sync ?

4. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Active Member

2013 Standard
    [​IMG]
    While it's true that the neck enters the body at the 22nd fret, the truss rod won't have any effect on the heel.
    I'd go with the 19th as syscokid said.
    A truss rod is only capable of effecting the neck between the heel, & the nut. Once glued in, the heel is now part of the body, basically one piece of wood.

satchmodog likes this.
  5. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

No matter the brand and the name of the guitar, don' t worry.

6. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

The truss rod is anchored at the 7th-8th fret

So you suggest to fret at the 19th fret and measure at 7th-8th fret?? Tomorrow i'll put a fresh set of strings and give the guitar a full set up.

Thanx for the replies

I feel that you misunderstood my question.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Here is Biddlin's fool proof method.

Begin by setting the bridge height for frets 17-21(2) so that the strings play buzz free at the lowest possible height.

Start with low E. Lower the bass side until it buzzes, raise until clear. Check A and D raise slightly if needed to get clean notes. Then do the treble side. If you bend notes up here, try a few typical bends, to make sure they don't buzz out.

When all strings play clean go to the lower frets and neck relief. Play the high E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod) to relieve buzz or decreasing relief (tightening trussrod) to lower the string height. So tighten, by fractional turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't. If you bend strings , do your typical bends to insure they don't buzz out. Once satisfied, check the other strings and make small adjustments as needed.

Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done.

This is the opposite order of most setup directions. It is based on performance and not measurements, hence, I don't take any. It works because the neck is immobile between frets 17 and 22. The trussrod only affects lower frets. By setting the upper end first, you know any buzzes are coming from too little relief. This method works for most guitars, with truss rods.

8. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

Yeah, i've seen Biddlin's method posted in the forum in the past. Thanx for reminding me. I'll give it a shot too.

9. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Over thinking it me thinks. Capo at the first fret and press down the last fret wit your thumb and measure relief at about the 5th fret.

The idea is to have the first and last frets fretted at the same time and to measure relief about 1/2 between them.

I don't use feeler gauges I just go for zero relief and than just add relief so there is no buzzing anywhere. Oh and set your sting height first. It is sort of a balance between string height and relief really.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  10. Darthy

Darthy New Member

Hello guys
    I got my G400 Pro, 2 months ago. Local guy did the setup, only one my town has. but i am still getting a lot of buzz even with high action, on low E string, like first 7 8 frets , i mean playing miserlou is misserable to say the least. And i just found out about neck relief . I watched some videos read about , tried to see how much neck relief i got and its 0, like no neck relief,nothing, the strings are on the frets,no bow or anything. My questions are , Should there be any neck relief at all or no and will this fix the buzzing . i am also scared AF to use this myself. I am newbie ,playing like 7 8 months. Also have some Italian strat copy from 70`s, there is also 0 neck relief, same situation, strings are on the frets, and also having buzz on like first 5 frets so i`m kinda down now to play them. Thanks guys

Biddlin likes this.
  11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Then follow my method and put the guy out of business.
    This method assumes no twisted neck or proud frets.
    Start in your normal tuning, ie if you play in double drop c tune your guitar to double drop c . Retune between each adjustment.
    Begin by setting the bridge height for frets 17-22 so that the strings play buzz free at the lowest possible height.

Start with low E. Lower the bass side until it buzzes, raise until clear. Check A and D raise slightly if needed to get clean notes. Then do the treble side. If you bend notes up here, try a few typical bends, to make sure they don't buzz out.

When all strings play clean go to the lower frets and neck relief. Play the high E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod) to relieve buzz or decreasing relief (tightening trussrod) to lower the string height. So tighten, by fractional (1/16) turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't. If you bend strings , do your typical bends to insure they don't buzz out. Once satisfied, check the other strings and make small adjustments as needed.

Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done. (Intonation is generally achieved by tuning your guitar with a meter like a Snark clip-on or some other electronic device and then making the octave note [fret 12] play true to pitch.)

abrepi.jpg
    Use thumb wheel (A) to raise and lower bridge. screws (B) adjust the saddles for intonation.
    [​IMG]
    After removing the cover your trussrod will look something like this. I believe a 1/8th" allen wrench is the right fit.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Worblehat likes this.
  12. Darthy

Darthy New Member

Thank you for quick reply !! I sprung into action today and got everything i needed ready.
    I started loosening, and i had to loosen a lot before i got like a hair of space between 7th fret and string. I got really scared but i wanted to fix this finally . So i loosened more and more until i got like 0.33mm pick between fret and string. Buzz is gone from fret 1 2 3 4, but then starts on 5 6 7 8 9 (Low E ) and it continues , like also it`s terrible after 15th fret, also my action is now higher then before like at 12th fret is really high. Now i am down again because i think i screwed everything. I tried lowering bridge, but that was just horrible, with buzzing and dead notes. Any idea what i did wrong?

13. Biddlin

It sounds like you did it out of order. Bridge height first, then neck relief, then intonation.

14. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

This is so valuable. I actually printed it out last time you posted it here and have succesfully used it to set up my SG after moving up a string gauge and tuning down 3 half-steps.
    So again thanks to Biddlin and DrBGood for this!

Biddlin likes this.
  15. Biddlin

Sure you're not a baritone player?:naughty: I'm happy to share this long used method because it works so well for so many.

Worblehat likes this.
  16. Darthy

Darthy New Member

Hello ,me again, i got scared last time that i will mock something up so i just went and got it back the way it was, straight with no neck relif at all.
    So buzzing was back, but this time i could hear it on the amp. So i said,lets do this ffs.
    I adjusted the string height, at 12th fret 2.2mm, and went at it at the trust rod.
    I turned and turned untill i had space to place my 0.73mm pick through on the low E on 8th fret while capo 1st and holding last fret.
    And.. no buzz at 1st-10th fret lets say,maybe sooner, but now, i A string is buzzing at, well not just A string,most of the string, and the B and G after 15th fret produced almost to no sound.
    I increased the action now.... at 12th fret Low E i 3mm. both low E and high E
    Now its better, only low E and A are buzzing after 12 but i feel the action is too high now
    I got G400 Pro ,bought it in december.
    Now i am scared, there might be some other issue, like the NUT .