SG Pilot Run.

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Yohamy, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

I'm not so sure I would trust those capacitors, they don't match each other.
    A quick test would be just to lift one leg of each capacitor and see how it sounds with them disconnected.
    If its night and day difference, I would replace them.

2. Yohamy

Yohamy New Member

The capacitor for the bridge is from the Les Paul, and the neck is stock. I tried switching them around just to see if there where any difference.

3. Yohamy

Yohamy New Member

Better view of the tone pots. Turns out the center one is grounded, and the one not in use is cut

7A11BC5B-6CC4-4A89-85E2-4C00C359E6E6.jpeg

4. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Plug in a cable and make sure the tailpiece, bridge and strings are connected to ground on the other end of the cable,
    (using an ohm meter).
    One lead connected to the cables ground then test each location with the other lead.
    Should be zero ohms.
    I know the wire is there but sometimes the connection is faulty.
    Where the wire presses against the threaded ferrule.
    I've seen those Switchcraft jacks have faulty ground connections where they're pressed together.
    That's why I always scrape them at the connection point and solder them together.
    And this guitar has nickel electric guitar strings on it, right ?
    Not acoustic guitar strings ?
    Could be as simple as that.

5. Yohamy

Yohamy New Member

Strings are Earnie Ball .010" on all my guitars, so that should not be a problem.
    I will get an ohm meter and try that. Thanks! I will get to the bottom of this, and report back. I have ordered pots ans caps from VIPots if everything else fails.
    Thank you!

6. Yohamy

Yohamy New Member

Found one sinner that took the guitar a step in the right direction. The posts for the tail piece have a LOT of play, both sideways and from top to bottom. I swapped them with another pair that is relly tight against the tailpiece, and it did make a difference in the right direction.
    2F44A163-5707-4DB9-897B-4473087BDFB4.jpg