SG players that made you choose the SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dagger, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Dagger

Dagger Member

It's really cool to hear everybody's stories of how they stumbled upon the sg and some of the players who may have influenced them.

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Well, yeah... we (almost) take Tony and Angus for granite,
    because they have really hammered home the SG mystique.
    I didn't know much about them before I joined this forum, and
    since then I have been exposed to a number of their videos and
    have gone in search of more, to see what all the fuss was about.

I would never dis them, even though I'm not really a fan. No one
    can deny the energy and the honesty and the drive. Angus gets
    big air... Iommi just grinds away at it like a rock crusher, both are
    very very effective. And totally different.

Black Sabbath has been playing since the Seventies for sure, and they've
    paid their dues, as well... Angus has been active since like 1970?
    and both have played their SGs all over the world in front of literally
    millions of fans.

Modern SG slingers for me are Derek Trucks and Samantha Fish
    among others. Madonna plays one, I don't know how well.

But one more early inspiration I forgot was a guy in a band I used to
    go see when I was 16, 17... They were from Flint Michigan. The band
    was called Terry Knight and the Pack. Terry Knight was the lead singer
    and he was all right, but I liked the guys in the band. They used to
    play at a Ski Lodge in the summer, called Mount Holly. Teens like me
    would go there to dance and all. I saw that guitarist play a number of
    guitars, including an SG... He was inspirational.

Terry Knight was dysfunctional... so after he left the band the guitarist
    I'm talking about decided to keep it going. His name is Mark Farner,
    and he changed the name of the band to Grand Funk Railroad, but we
    always called them Grand Funk.

Bijou Drains, Jezclayton and Dagger like this.
  3. DangerousD

DangerousD Member

A couple of Franks for me. Marino and Zappa.

SG John and Zeugitai like this.
  4. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

just to elaborate on that, I heard it pronounced the other day on that AXS channel RnR show, Top Ten Revealed, as EYE-oh-me, which caught my attention as I'd always said it as eye-OH-me.

The Who Live at Leeds has always been a big favorite, but I never paid attention way back then that the awesome echoing guitar sound was Pete's SG Special with the P-90's. So I can't claim that as an inspiration, and despite hearing all the other great names mentioned here over the years, never had an increased interest until in 2002 seeing Rusty Anderson, McCartney's guy, on his white Standard; and following that seeing Wilco's Jeff Tweedy several times on his multiple SGs thru AC30's, that was the "gotta have one" clincher for me. That being said, I currently don't have one! The '69 I had for a while that I've posted here, was returned its owner this AM - wah. But last night I got to fully enjoy it one last time, thru Vox AC10 at a jam and it sounded amazing. Between that and being on this forum, the hankering is sky high and must be satisfied!

Col Mustard likes this.
  5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I just got back to this thread was just jamming along to Grand Funk time machine dang that song sounds good!

6. [RGMW]largie

[RGMW]largie New Member

Kim McAuliffe lead vocalist and rhythm guitar with Girlschool who were part of the new wave of British Heavy metal (NWOBHM). First saw them in 1981 and taking my youngest along next Friday to a pub in Cardiff where they,and I, will be 39 years older........but still rocking !

Dave

7. Dagger

Dagger Member

Girlschool is awesome I think they did a split album with Motörhead if memory serves right.

rotorhead and SG John like this.
  8. jbat

jbat New Member

Great tune!

Bijou Drains and Dagger like this.
  9. [RGMW]largie

[RGMW]largie New Member

Close :-) Philthy Phil Taylor (Motorheads drummer) broke his neck falling over when drunk so Girlschool and Motorhead released a 3 track Ep with Denise Dufort doing all the drumming. A side was a cover of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates "Please don't touch" and on the b side Motorhead recorded Emergency and Girlschool Bomber.
    If I recall correctly it turned out to both bands highest charting single.
    Dave

Jezclayton and Dagger like this.
  10. Dagger

Dagger Member

I remember some one told me it was called Headgirl lol I'm not making this up.

Jezclayton likes this.
  11. [RGMW]largie

[RGMW]largie New Member

Yup you're right. Still got my copy in a box somewhere !

Jezclayton and Dagger like this.
  12. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

Iommi first, than many more. But I really loved this video:

Dagger likes this.
  13. Lt Col Custom

Lt Col Custom New Member

Glen Buxton. 16_1581425714035.jpg

14. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

My very good friend and bandmate throughout three different bands and 20 years of music loving.
    He borrowed a friends SG to cut an album we did together (his songs, I did bass and recording/mixing).
    Tracking that guitar through roaring Orange and Vox amps, with boosts and delays smashing the front-end, man...what a time.

Ever since then, I had a deep appreciation for SG's.

Col Mustard and Dagger like this.
  15. Awolfoutwest

Awolfoutwest New Member

My first concert experience wasn't really a concert experience...sitting in a movie theater watching Paul McCartney and Wings' "Rockshow" on the silver screen in late 1980. His lead guitarist, Jimmy McCullough, was playing an SG and that really made an impression on 14-year-old me. I loved the look and the sound of that guitar. Getting into AC/DC a short time later cemented that impression in my mind.

Col Mustard and Bijou Drains like this.
  16. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

The first time I remember seeing an SG was hung over Glen Buxton from the original Alice Cooper band. I must have been 11 and Love It To Death was just released and was my first lessen in learning guitar outside of Beatles and Stones. I dont know why but Glen seemed so pissed about something and his release came through with his instrument. The attitude of his riffs just set their claws deep down inside me and I didnt stop until I learned every song.

17. Augshejais

Augshejais New Member

I might stand out of the crowd at least for now -> BRIAN MOLKO it was. When I started off playing guitar, Placebo was one of my main influences and at that stage various SGs were mostly being used by Brian. So I was like in-love with an SG since ~2003? But I didn't have enough money for that time to fund a Gibson. Another love of mine is a Telecaster so I have played teles exclusively until 2019 when I finally got an SG. Took me at least 15 years or so :)

18. Tig

Tig Member

Terry Kath. I remember looking at the photos in the program that came with The Chicago Transit Authority (later just Chicago) album and the SG Terry was playing.
    [​IMG]

And of course, Frank Zappa.
    [​IMG]

SG John, Zeugitai and straydogger69 like this.
  19. jfine

jfine New Member

I got into SGs at first because I liked the look. The first one I ever saw was a white Custom in about 1964. I’d only been playing a couple of years at that point, so getting my parents to go for it was out of the question. By ‘67, I’d gotten good enough, and saved up enough money, to convince the folks that I was serious, and I got a new SGsStandard in late ‘67. By then I’d found out that a lot of pros in my home town of San Francisco were playing

Bijou Drains and Tig like this.
  20. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Early teens and 70's, the most obvious for me was Pete Townshend's sound on Live At Leeds. That is just how an SG should be played. Loud and straight into a Marshall JMP or Hiwatt. Minimal effects, bit of delay is enough (tape echo in those days), and running the volume knob will get you anything from the quietest intro from Sparks right through to the punch up at the end. Was there ever a better live album?

In my first band, the other guitarist used an Avon SG (we were skint) played through a Big Muff into a Selmer Treble 'n' Bass. Fabulous sound and introduced me to the sheer playability of the instrument. I had a Washburn Falcon at the time, which was undoubtedly a great guitar but heavy for the longer practice sessions. My other guitar was a Fender HM Strat, mainly so I could attempt a poor emulation of Bernie Torme. I digress.

Late 70's has to be Let There Be Rock. Many here will remember the first time they were greeted by the opening chords of Go Down. Angus highlights another attribute of the SG. It is light, so light you're just compelled to chuck it around.

80's would be Dave Grohl, Glenn Tipton, Captain Sensible, The Edge, even Tom Petty. They all played SGs at some time.

90's has to be Andy Cairns from Therapy?. I swear I have seen no less than 10 different SGs in his rack at the club shows and he plays just about every one. Alternative metal at it's best.

90's on I cannot comment too much since I rewound back to the 70's and started all over again. Aside from the PRS, has anyone really improved on the offerings from Gibson or Fender, though I think the SG covers most of what Fender do.

There's nothing you can't do with a well tuned SG from mid-song dive effects using tuners, awesome neck bends (hold just below the volute, not the head stock!), a quiet strum on the sofa, a Jazz or Blues session or mind blowing feedback sessions just to let the neighbours know you're fine thanks.

Last but not least has to be Greg Koch. Anyone who hasn't seen his SG demos on the Wildwood Guitars pages won't regret a vist.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Col Mustard and Dagger like this.