SG players that made you choose the SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dagger, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

Dicky Betts from the Almon Bro's grabbed me but my sisters boyfriend had one in the mid seventies that I got to see and hear up close and I loved it when he traded it for a Stratocaster I told him "Dude what did you do?"

2. Spiral

Spiral Member

I want to say Alex Lifeson, but he "hated the neck" on his SG, apparently. I've been binge listening to, and learning Rush songs lately.

But yeah, just another tick in the Tony Iommi and Angus Young column for me. Adrian Smith as well, with his 70's SG Standard.

3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

For me...

My older brother had a poster of Zappa onstage with a tricked out SG, so that kind of kicked off. From there it was Graham Oliver from Saxon and Glenn Tipton.

4. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

I started playing guitar in the Surf Guitar hay day of southern California. Strats and Jags were the only thing a self respecting guitarist would play. I can remember seeing some fat rich kid fronting a group playing an SG and thinking how grotesque and weird it looked. Jump forward five years. Music has changed with the British Invasion and along with it the tone and versatility requirements of guitars.
    My first wife (bless her heart) saw a '67 SG Standard for sale in the paper for $150. So with a hand full of HFC money, I met a shady looking guy in the dark of night to procure it. I always wondered if it was hot. It was a sight and sound love affair that's lasted a life time.

5. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Tony Iommi is my musical Messiah. He is the first who tempted me. Because of him, I fell in love with SG guitars. But I couldn't find an SG which suits me. Last years, some live performances of Gary Clarke Jr. lighted my fire again and bam! I repented and bought an SG.

Demon Dave likes this.
  6. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

SG P90 bliss.

Kerry Brown likes this.
  7. sazista

sazista Active Member

I'm with you on your punk list. I grew up and still am a Zappa fanatic, but there of course were my other faves, Alice Cooper: both guitarists and bassist!!, Drew from America's Hardcore, Mike Ness, Woody (C.O.C). There were so many.

Bijou Drains likes this.
  8. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Black Sabbath .... ACDC .... and before them,
    there was Quick Silver Messenger Service; Blue Cheer; The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones Now, 12X5; several Chicago area bands and these boys:

Demon Dave and Bijou Drains like this.
  9. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

Robby Krieger of the Doors inspired me in the mid to late 60's.
    Today I like it because it is light, looks, sounds, plays good and got it for a good price!

Alex Kendall likes this.
  10. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

For me, it definitely starts with Peter Townshend. Second, Robbie Krieger of the Doors. Third, when he wasn't playing a Rickenbacker 330, Paul Weller of the Jam used SGs on occasion. Angus' talent is recognized, but I'm not a big AC/DC fan.

11. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar Member

For me, it was this guy: [​IMG]
    And this guy:[​IMG]
    and this guy:[​IMG]
    Muddy Waters especially. I figured if it was good enough for the King Of The Blues, it was good enough for me.

12. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    You can't deny the talents of Mr. Rossington on the SG. His slide was as smooth as Mr. Allman's in the sounds of the southland. This SG is interesting as it appears to be a 60's model with a 70's Norlin Schaller Harmonica.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    rotorhead and Demon Dave like this.
  13. Bob L

Bob L Member

I bought my SG second hand in 1974 because it was affordable. I wanted a Les Paul but they were out of my price range. One of the reasons my particular SG was affordable was that the previous owner had modified it, and poorly at that. At the time I didn't know any better, but I didn't care. I finally had a solid body guitar after learning on a big old Gretsch hollow body.

After acquiring the SG, I came to discover that many guitarists I admired had used one; Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Robby Kreiger, Pete Townshend, George Harrison, Frank Zappa, to name a few.

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

When I saw this 2004 Vintage G400 for $100.

2019-03-28 1.JPG

voodoomin and koaguilds like this.
  15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

This guy ,

Image temp 0.jpg

16. Alex Kendall

Alex Kendall New Member

As a young boy, Angus was the first man I'd ever seen playing an SG and whilst I became obsessed with AC/DC's music and image for years, it wasn't until I got into The Doors and saw Krieger playing one that I thought "Hey that guitar is gorgeous" and began my love affair with the SG! I'm more recent years, I was watching some old footage of Jefferson Airplane live and it was either Paul Kantner or Jorma Kaukkonen was playing an SG :) JA and The Doors are two of my favourite bands but another great idol of mine, Brian May, probably wouldn't be seen dead with one!! Haha please correct me if i am mistaken

17. Alex Kendall

Alex Kendall New Member

Also I've seen Eric Johnson wield one from time to time :D I am quite a fan of his playing and he's got giant ears as far as tone is concerned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  18. bgfthntr

bgfthntr New Member

none.... I wanted p-90's and mahogany....

19. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

20. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member