SG players that made you choose the SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dagger, Feb 7, 2020.

1. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I got my first SG in '93. I wanted a Jackson; my dad convinced me to look at Gibson instead. I saw the SG on the wall and that was that. Only after I got it did I start searching for who used SGs.

Funny enough, in '94 I got a Laney GH100L and 4x12 cab (Laney was advertising quite a bit in guitar mags at the time, usually featuring Paul Gilbert in the ads). So, without even trying I got fairly close to an Iommi setup haha. I still have the SG and the Laney.

2. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

that model sg has a different look but also a different feel, fat neck parallel to the body with a raised
    pick-guard... at the time i thought they were trying to do a fender thing...

NMA likes this.
  3. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I went SG solely on looks and weight. The LP was killing my back...

If I were to name anyone it would be Frank Zappa. I've seen him Live more than any other artist and he always played an SG for at least part of the show.

4. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Gotta love the Fender strap on the old Gibson SG. Good ol vintage Rock 'n Roll 'who gives a flying fook' attitude.

Sp8ctre and koaguilds like this.
  6. Skulltula

Skulltula New Member

Not sure if anyone else has already mentioned, but for me was Dave McPherson from InMe. Just as a band I discovered and liked when I’d not been playing guitar for too long and his SG is one of the first guitars I remember being really aware of and wanting to know what it was. Not to undersell him as a guitar player though, really talented guy just never hit the big time.

Angus also on the inspiration but that one will have been done to death and probably nothing more can add there!

7. sgberry

sgberry New Member

For me : Robbie Krieger and Mick Tayor

8. Semla

Semla Member

IMG_1222.JPG

For me, it was Christoph Lindemann from Kadavar. Interesting, also what made me grow a beard.

9. Felixq78

Felixq78 New Member

Angus Young I suppose but my main reason is that I found my Les Paul too heavy as I've got older so I bought an SG Special and it was stolen. I replaced it with an SG Standard yesterday . The funny thing is that my local vintage guitar shop owner told me that my latest SG belonged to Angus. BS I thought but he told me after I'd paid for it yesterday not before so he had no reason to lie. He does get a lot of well known customers like Joe Walsh and Joe Bonamassa so Angus isn't such a stretch I suppose.